Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   How much current does the A/C compressor draw? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/how-much-current-does-c-compressor-draw-18234/)

robgreg75 05-20-2008 11:27 AM

How much current does the A/C compressor draw?

I am looking to do a retrofit a/c electric system in a older car I own and want all the weight to be put in the rear for better weight distribution.

I need to know at what voltage and how much current the Prius a/c compressor pulls to see if it is feesible/how much electrical capacity I would need.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Robert

bwilson4web 05-20-2008 12:01 PM

Re: How much current does the A/C compressor draw?

Hi,

I can and have run a 5,000 BTU window AC using about 800 W. from a 1 kW inverter.

Bob Wilson

robgreg75 05-20-2008 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 173017)
Hi,

I can and have run a 5,000 BTU window AC using about 800 W. from a 1 kW inverter.

Bob Wilson

I need to have the ruggedness of a purpose built automotive unit.

jdenenberg 05-20-2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by robgreg75 (Post 173008)
I am looking to do a retrofit a/c electric system in a older car I own and want all the weight to be put in the rear for better weight distribution.

I need to know at what voltage and how much current the Prius a/c compressor pulls to see if it is feesible/how much electrical capacity I would need.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Robert

Bob,

The Prius AC unit runs directly from the traction battery (~200 volts DC) and it is a variable speed compressor so current draw varies with the need for BTU capacity. You can approximate the needed power by assuming an efficiency ( ~12 EER) and plugging in the needed BTU rate.

JeffD

Tochatihu 05-20-2008 07:19 PM

I did not kow that EER Jeff, thanks. From other Prius posts I recall that the maximum power is about 1 KW. Because it is a variable-speed unit independent of engine pulley speed, it will often draw substantially less.

DAS

ken1784 05-21-2008 04:22 AM

Following presentation is a good one to learn the A/C system.
http://www.epa.gov/cppd/Presentation...20inverter.pdf

Ken@Japan

David Beale 05-21-2008 07:33 AM

If you're thinking of installing a Prius A/C system in another car, good luck! You'll need most of the Prius electronics, including the inverter. You'll also need the traction battery and a way to charge it while driving. The A/C pump runs on the boosted battery voltage, more than twice the nominal traction battery voltage.

This would not be a trivial install!

wwest 05-22-2008 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 173017)
Hi,

Bob Wilson

It typically takes 3-5 times the running current to REstart (subsequent startup after running for an initial period) an A/C compressor. Either your inverter has a quite substantial over-current surge capability or the CB in your window A/C is cycling on and off 4 or 5 times for each compressor restart. Even worse with a MSW inverter.

Actually with a MSW inverter it would be surprising that it works at all.

My guess would be the latter, CB cycling.

SPL 05-23-2008 11:12 AM

robgreg75 — I don't know about the Prius, but the TCH's A/C compressor is stated to draw up to 6.1 kW of electrical power from the NiMH battery, via its own dedicated 3-phase, variable-speed inverter. I'd expect the Prius's A/C to be similar.

Stan

BigTuna 05-23-2008 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SPL (Post 173498)
robgreg75 — I don't know about the Prius, but the TCH's A/C compressor is stated to draw up to 6.1 kW of electrical power from the NiMH battery, via its own dedicated 3-phase, variable-speed inverter. I'd expect the Prius's A/C to be similar.

Stan

I just found something that claimed 3.4kW for the Prius (if I read it correctly).

http://www.epa.gov/cppd/Presentation...20inverter.pdf