Is the MPG gauge correct?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is the MPG gauge correct?

Speedo is running at 1% accuracy right now (GPS says speed is 104 km/hr, speedo says 103 km/hr). After reading I added the km/hr - wouldn't want anyone to assume I speed!

In the city the car will read 4.7 l/100 km and I will calculate 4.9 (averages based on several tanks).

On tuesday last, I drove on the highway for 650 km. The car read 4.9 l/100 km and when I filled up I calculated 4.7 l/100 km. Not bad for 104 km/hr speed on the highway. That's about 60 MPG imperial or 50 MPG US.

So the MFD seems to read high in the city and low on the highway in my car.

At any rate, it's pretty close either way. Don't be expecting "lab accuracy" from an inexpensive production car! Assume engineering accuracy is 5%, and production auto parts to be in the 10-15% range.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Beale
Speedo is running at 1% accuracy right now (GPS says speed is 104 km/hr, speedo says 103 km/hr). After reading I added the km/hr - wouldn't want anyone to assume I speed!

In the city the car will read 4.7 l/100 km and I will calculate 4.9 (averages based on several tanks).

On tuesday last, I drove on the highway for 650 km. The car read 4.9 l/100 km and when I filled up I calculated 4.7 l/100 km. Not bad for 104 km/hr speed on the highway. That's about 60 MPG imperial or 50 MPG US.

So the MFD seems to read high in the city and low on the highway in my car.

At any rate, it's pretty close either way. Don't be expecting "lab accuracy" from an inexpensive production car! Assume engineering accuracy is 5%, and production auto parts to be in the 10-15% range.
Hmm. Interesting. As I, at home, have a mix of highway and city, it seems now everything is reading low.

Highway driving exclusively gives a different reading - better. In fact, my Prius seems to follow the classic driving mileage pattern with MPG's better on the road than in city/mixed driving.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

centrider -- do you mean "reading low" as in the computer was showing less mileage than you were getting based on your own caluculations?

Last edited by kuruma; 05-28-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kuruma
centrider -- do you mean "reading low" as in the computer was showing less mileage than you were getting based on your own caluculations?
There's a considerable variety. However, I want to point out I let the greenhybrid database do the calculation.

Sometimes the display is low by less than 1 mpg, some times it's over by as less by 1 mpg. Some times it's as much as 10 mpg, for example coming into Tucson, AZ
58.7 416 7.1 70 420 . The display showed 48.6.

However, looking at my present mpg as shown below, who can complain?

I think I've got an accurate representation because I've pointed out, I have a mix of city, local frwy and long-distance driving. For example: In Mar I drove from home to Tucson, AZ. April it was to Austin, TX. Today I'm in Hutchinson, KS. Next month I'll be in Chicago.

Last edited by centrider; 05-28-2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: increase clarity