Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   Tailgating problem solution (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/tailgating-problem-solution-6895/)

bwilson4web 04-19-2006 10:17 AM

Tailgating problem solution

Hi folks,

If tailgating of your Prius has become a problem, the solution is to get the Coastal Electronics Tech, bolt-on receiver hitch. Instead of carrying bicycles, strap an empty, 5 gal. gasoline can, the brigher the better, to the bike platform. Something about the potential of 5 gal. of gasoline will intimidate the largest "Land Yacht" to 'back off.' For good measure and balance, strap an empty propane tank to the other side. Just make sure your license and lights remain unobstructed.

Bob Wilson

ps. Putting a small box labeled 'matches' between the two would complete the effect but might be a bit obvious.

pps. Inspired by the blues song, "Oh Lord, Let the governor have a 16 car accident with a gasoline truck struck by a match wagon . . ."

Delta Flyer 04-19-2006 10:47 AM

Re: Tailgating problem solution

My fantasy solution was to have flash bulbs approaching the intensity of the flash of a nuclear explosion. :D

bwilson4web 04-19-2006 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
My fantasy solution was to have flash bulbs approaching the intensity of the flash of a nuclear explosion. :D

Even a disposable, flash camera would be a hazard and worse, incite 'retaliation.' I prefer passive-aggressive approaches that work at the brain-stem level. <grins>

Bob Wilson

Delta Flyer 04-19-2006 11:34 AM

It's use would be reserved for the particularly nasty tailgaters. The flash would blind to the point they would need to pull over - no way they could engage in "hot pursuit".

foo monkey 04-19-2006 12:00 PM

You wouldn't get far before a cop pulled you over.

Delta Flyer 04-19-2006 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by foo monkey
You wouldn't get far before a cop pulled you over.

There was an episode from the 60s TV show Dragnet. Guy rigged his old car to lower a steel plate under his rear bumper that would send sparks like in a welding shop at the tailgater.

bwilson4web 04-19-2006 01:00 PM

There was an episode from the 60s TV show Dragnet. Guy rigged his old car to lower a steel plate under his rear bumper that would send sparks like in a welding shop at the tailgater.

I drove a Model A Ford in high school and there were a couple of punks who thought it was smart to 'harrass' the old car driver. So I put a handfull of bottle rockets in the spare tire carrier on the back and ran the igniter wire to the cabin with access to the 6 V. battery. Then next time, a 'flower' of exploding pop bottle rockets shot at them and after they screeched to a stop and stopped laughing, we didn't have any more trouble.

Bob Wilson

Delta Flyer 04-19-2006 01:02 PM

:D :thumbs_up

ender21 04-19-2006 01:14 PM

Hey that was re-done on an old CHiPs episode too! Ponch and John spent the whole episode trying to catch an old beat up Camaro or Firebird that was causing accidents by doing that same thing!

Delta Flyer 04-19-2006 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ender21
Hey that was re-done on an old CHiPs episode too! Ponch and John spent the whole episode trying to catch an old beat up Camaro or Firebird that was causing accidents by doing that same thing!

Wonder if that was one of the episodes Michael Dorn was in? There is nothing about my nickname that would hint I'd be interested in him as an actor. :D