What did you pay for your Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Green Enthusiast
Default Re: What did you pay for your Prius?

Hi everyone, just got my 2007 Prius with package 4 at the end of 2006 and I love it. Still trying to get a feel for the pulse and glide.

I paid $23,500, the MSRP was $26,174 and the invoice was $24,108.
I also went to another dealer and they were offered $22,000 on a package 2 (MSRP $24,169, invoice $22,643). Both dealers had several in stock.

Both of these dealers were willing to go under invoice by about $600. I don't know if it's because of slipped demand due to the tax credit or because it was the end of the year but it seems that the days of paying MSRP for the Prius are over, at least in Virginia. It's too bad I miss the full tax credit but I don't know if I was looking before September 30 what kind of deal I would have gotten. I don't know if I would have paid MSRP. Btw, I think the half credit goes until end of March, thereafter it's quarter credit until end of Sept and then nothing.

I hope more people post the price of their cars because it helps people determine how much they can bargain with the dealer. Good discussion tread.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Newbie Greenie

Originally Posted by Toad
Both of these dealers were willing to go under invoice by about $600. I don't know if it's because of slipped demand due to the tax credit or because it was the end of the year but it seems that the days of paying MSRP for the Prius are over, at least in Virginia. It's too bad I miss the full tax credit but I don't know if I was looking before September 30 what kind of deal I would have gotten. I don't know if I would have paid MSRP.
Here in the Salt Lake area, prior to the tax credit being reduced (Sept 30), you would have paid full sticker. There were none on the lots and the shortest waiting list was 6 people (at a dealership 35 miles away). Even at $600 below invoice, the full tax credit was a better deal. It will be more interesting to see what happens to the pricing should the Americans figure out how to build a true hybrid with substantially improved FE and lower emissions. If there isn't any real competition, I doubt we'll see a "fire sale" on the Toyotas.

UTpiper

Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hey there, I'm in NorCal and purchased a 2007 Prius PKG#6 for $27,011 (I think that's about $800 over invoice). I'm hoping to score some HOV stickers... I hope I'm not too late!

Old 01-08-2007, 04:00 AM
Enthusiast

WE paid cash for 2006 last September, 06, (package 5 for 25,800) and beat the deadline with full amount of tax credit. I think it depends on the area where you purchase the car. By the time, we purchased, we knew that prices in Miami was higher than in SA. we checked prices from Internet and broswe around which dealers had Prius in stock so we won't regret about going to buy and have to wait..

In my area SA, FL., there are a few Prius on the street and from someplace else more by tourists.

The local people knows the name of Toyota-Hybrid but do not understand well how it works, what they can expect to buy such a car like Prius or even .. is the Prius run fast like a regular car ? OR.. It runs as a glft cart...

This is the myths about hybrid cars in this century..
I think. There are so many people get use to drive regular cars and trucks --American brandname. We looked for Ford Escape once long time ago.. it seems to me that it's not a real hybrid when compared to our old Honda Element 2004 we got 29-32 mpg with variation of speed and drving styles.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: What did you pay for your Prius?

Hi Toad..

By the time we bought the 2006 (as explained on my post), I also checked price on Ebay, found that in NC area, Prius 2007 price was lower as your price.

I was also surprised about the 2007 Prius. I did not get upset for what we got because we paid cash and will get tax rebated for 3,150 whereas in NC during that timeframe, tax rebate was only 1,750. So, we approximately paid about 23,000+ which I think it was a great price.

The dealer got mad because they expected us to finance .. but we did not make it that way. In fact, I did not think that I had bargained anything from them. They just wanted to sell as many as they can. They had 3 - 5 more cars came before Sep 30, 06.

As I said, my friends, my boss..drove around in the parking lot.... they laughed at it.. they thought the ways it works like a golf cart. However, they were surprised about MPG as they can see on the display..

We may need to let them understand how the hybrid works and positive effects in using hybrid cars... Green cars ---> clean air, reduce gas consumption..

Old 04-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Engineering first

Welcome to the club!
Originally Posted by favritegirl
I just purchased a 2007 Toyota Prius, magnetic gray with gray leather interior, fully loaded with Package #6. I paid $26,621 out the door. This was $1000 over dealer invoice, and purchased from a dealer in San Diego, CA. I love my Prius!!!
We've got a FAQ in the Prius forum with 'lessons learned' that might help you get more out of the car. Also, it is a good idea to start recording your mileage after the first tank. This will give you feedback to track what works or not.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 04-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The demand for the Prius has never been higher. This is evidenced by sales figures available in other posts on GH. So reduced costs can't be related to slipping demand can they? It's probably a result of increased production and availability.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Hybrid Newbie

There is no word to describe my feeling after reading through all the price tags you have paid for your Prius.

Here's what I know, before March 31st 2007, Toyota has some serious incentives to the dealerships, therefore, crazy mark down to push the Prius out of the lot.

I began to consider Prius in early April, yeah, one step behind, the incentive is gone, but Toyota has that special Option Package Promotions. The sales lady whom I bought my loyal 98 Honda Accord from 9 years ago, is willing to let me have part of the incentive that expired on March 31st if I can make the purchase by the end of April 30th 2007. Of course, I am one step behind again. The model & package I am willing to pay for is not available. The ones in stock are packed with those foo-foo package such as first aid kit, cargo net, and crazy XM Radio Package, etc.

To choose NOT to get those crazy foo-foo packages, I ended up putting down deposit to wait on the exact one I want, of course, lost that partial incentive.

So, I am going to get the 2007 Prius Touring edition with Option Package # 6 ( includes all the upgrades and leather package ), and Accessory Package A, before TTL, $26,900.

I also plan to purchase the Toyota Premium Extended Warranty to cover up to 7 years 100K miles, that will cost me another $1,695 after intensive price negotiation.

Base on the research and countless phone calls we have made across major Texas, I can only comfort myself that I didn't get rip off.

Time will tell if the price I pay is worth or not. I certainly hope so.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Prius Lover

I envy some of you later-buying folks, but only a little. I bought my 2004 Prius in June 04 for $30K even in Orange County, CA, which tends to be a pricey area. It was hard to come by these cars back then, and I was very lucky not to have to wait more than a month!

The dealers were only selling them fully loaded -- curtain airbags, 9-speaker 6-CD system, GPS, keyless entry, and so on -- hence the high price.

Amusing Annoyance: my dealer removed the seats and installed LEATHER SEATS and was going to charge me extra for them. I refused, since half my friends are vegetarians! I'm not, but I really didn't want a car that reeked of leather.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

Hi, folks.
My wife and I finally replaced our '93 Camry wagon (163K miles, 18/29 MPG) with a new 2007 Prius. We sacrificed lots of cargo space, but were dismayed to find nothing on the market with comparable hauling capability and better gas mileage than our Camry.
I patiently, codially bargained with the salesman on the last day of the month, and got a Package 2 Prius for $21850 plus tax & tags.
Tax rebates: PA $500, Federal approx. $780.
Very happy with the car. The compromises in space are well worth the gas savings and extra safety, especially with 2 young drivers in the family.
Dan

Quick Reply: What did you pay for your Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands