Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

MPG manual calculation a must!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:29 PM
EV Stealth Druid
Default Re: MPG manual calculation a must!

> GPS was designed to navigate ships at sea, when they are out of range of all land-based radio beacons.

You're thinking of Decca Navigator. GPS was designed to guide US military targetting solutions. But you're right in saying it's moved on from that.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My handheld GPS unit records data points every second. I'm guessing this is the rate for most. Also, it reports a velocity accuracy of 0.1 mph. You are really going to have to be traveling very fast and in a very tight circle before a significant error is introduced. As for the left lane/right lane issue, again you will have to be driving in a tight circle to make that effect significant.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Engineering first

It may be more helpful to look at some actual GPS data:

$GPGGA,090329.359,3436.7736,N,08634.0463,W,1,04,1. 8,144.4,M,-30.3,M,19.0,0000*7C
$GPGGA,090330.359,3436.7734,N,08634.0462,W,1,04,1. 8,144.2,M,-30.3,M,19.0,0000*71
. . .
This data is normally not seen outside of the GPS mapping interface:
$GPGGA, - identifier for position record
090330.359, - timestamp, hh:mm:ss.sss
3436.7734, - latitude dd:mm.mmmm
N, - hemisphere
08634.0462, - longitude ddd:mm.mmmm
W, - East or West
1, - 0=invalid, 1=GPS fix, 2=Diff. GPS fix
04, - number of satellites, below 5 is all but unusable
1.8, - horizontal dilution
144.2, - altitude in meters
M, - altitude units, meters in this case
-30.3, - adjustment for non-spherical earth
M, - adjustment units
19, - seconds since last Diff. reference station update
0000*71 - Diff. reference station ID and checksum
So for fun, take Google Earth, find this location, "34 36.7743 N 086 34.0462 W" and see what Google Earth sees as the altitude:
  • 189 M - Google Earth
  • 144.2 M - raw GPS altitude
Two minutes later, I'm reading nine satellites at "34 36.8331 N 086 34.0270 W":

$GPGGA,090527.352,3436.8228,N,08634.0259,W,1,09,1. 2,188.9,M,-30.3,M,307.0,0000*43
$GPGGA,090528.352,3436.8331,N,08634.0270,W,1,09,1. 2,189.3,M,-30.3,M,307.0,0000*45

Comparing to Google Earth:
  • 187 M - Google Earth
  • 189.3 M - raw GPS altitude
The GPS longitude and latitude data was dead on for both locations. I had filled up with gas at the Shell station at Hobbs Road and Memorial Parkway (Rt. 231) and started driving to Hickory NC. One thing I can assure you is there was not a 45.1 M change in altitude in that short distance.

Once the GPS mouse has gotten more than 5 satellites, the altitude changes seems to settle down to +/- ~5 meters. Although not as accurate as a barometric reading, it is enough for energy studies at highway speeds.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-25-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
What I said was "Why do you think it doesn't take altitude into account?". I did not say that GPS does not take altitude into account. I asked somebody why they thought it did not. I know that GPS is a 3-D measurement. Please read and do not misquote me.

A large elevation change can result in a small pressure change. Do you know what else can result in a small pressure change? The weather can.

Select Garmin GPS units contain Built-In Barometric Altimeters. Mine did not, but it still reported elevation. I believe BP is good when used in conjunction with GPS. BP alone has issues in calculating elevations on land. Maybe crude was the wrong word, but here is an example of problems.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=142

[/SIZE][/FONT]
You are right in that leaving out, "Why do you think. . ." is important.

I personally do not think elevation gained or lost while driving is important, and perhaps Toyota felt the same way.

However, when I'm riding my bike, I do want that information and Garmin has put a ". . .barometric altimeter for extremely accurate elevation and vertical profile data"

As pointed out in another post, a barometric altimeter is very accurate.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

OK, OK...

X, Y, or Z; A, B, or C, now we all agree that a manual calculation is a must for our database. All of us here are putting up every effort to reduce the environment impact.

And remember, the most environmental concious individual has the lowest total gasoline consumed. I'll take a public transportation whenever possible even we have hybrids.

And I became a vegetarian since 1994. Maybe that's too far...

Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by centrider
I personally do not think elevation gained or lost while driving is important, and perhaps Toyota felt the same way.
I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Originally Posted by centrider
However, when I'm riding my bike, I do want that information and Garmin has put a ". . .barometric altimeter for extremely accurate elevation and vertical profile data"

As pointed out in another post, a barometric altimeter is very accurate.
Regardless of what another post says, there can be issues with using barometric pressure to calculate the altitude. If you are measuring the barometric pressure at sea level, it can easily vary from 28.6 to 30.7 inHg due to the weather. Relying strictly on a barometric altimeter, this would correspond to ~1,100 ft above or ~600 ft below sea level. How does the barometric altimeter on your bike take the pressure changes that arise from the weather into account? Maybe crude wasn't the right word, but there are real issues here.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by New Yorker
X, Y, or Z; A, B, or C, now we all agree that a manual calculation is a must for our database.
I don't recall agreeing to that. The point I made was that there is no proof here that what most people here are referring to as a "manual calculation" is any better than the display fuel economy.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by Qslugs
Yep, the Camry in my opinion is about 1-1.5 mpg off as well. I usually add my numbers up manually - take millage and divide it by gallons of gas in car at time of fill up. I think thats how most of the people around here do it actually. I have a stack of receipts dating back to my cars purchase.
Qslugs, do you have a ScanGuage? I would be interested to know if the sensor is off or if the gauge is the culprit. In my case the two sort of cancel out and my gauge reading is acutally pretty close, but a little optimistic. The sensor seems to output a lower value, but the gauge reads high. I too, have always used a raw calculation rather than trust the gauge. Oddly enough, the manual calculation sometimes disagrees (small amounts in both directions) with the automatic calculation on the website -- probably some difference in rounding values or similar.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by New Yorker
OK, OK...

X, Y, or Z; A, B, or C, now we all agree that a manual calculation is a must for our database. All of us here are putting up every effort to reduce the environment impact.

And remember, the most environmental concious individual has the lowest total gasoline consumed. I'll take a public transportation whenever possible even we have hybrids.

And I became a vegetarian since 1994. Maybe that's too far...
Lucky you. . .No sarcasm intended. You have a developed public transportation system (I assume you live in the City and or boroughs). I grew up in Chicago where everything was a streetcar/bus, El ride away.

SoCal is different. I ride a bike, but recreationally, i.e. I don't shop with it, for example.

But back to display and calculated mpg. For whatever reasons, that display doesn't match up with the calculated mpg, and it seems to overstate the mpg. I think the originator of this thread said by 5 mph. Mine seems to be around 1 - 1.5 over, but as much as 5 mph under.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Regardless of what another post says, there can be issues with using barometric pressure to calculate the altitude. If you are measuring the barometric pressure at sea level, it can easily vary from 28.6 to 30.7 inHg due to the weather. Relying strictly on a barometric altimeter, this would correspond to ~1,100 ft above or ~600 ft below sea level. How does the barometric altimeter on your bike take the pressure changes that arise from the weather into account? Maybe crude wasn't the right word, but there are real issues here.
It doesn't. I do live a couple of miles from the ocean. Some days as I ride down Pacific Coast Highway with a wetland on one side, and the ocean around a bunch of yards on the other I smile as the elevation read-out tells me I'm under water.

I bought this device because it did have the barometric altimeter. And if I were flying with it, i.e., my life depended on a spot on altitude reading I would make sure I could calibrate it.

However, if all I want to know how much my elevation gain was over the distance of, at most, 100 miles, this is good enough.

So, how important is that information (elevation gained/lost) in calculating my Prius' mpg? I don't think - to me - it is important. In the case of the bike's instrument and the Prius', the information generated is beyond my control.

In other words, I can't control the elevation over which I travel, but in a way I can control my gasoline consumption.

On the bike, it's for amusement. "Boy, on that 28 mile mile ride through the canyon, I experienced 1770 feet of climb."

But do that in the Prius? Who cares? And after knowing that info, what does it tell me about increasing my mpg beyond just knowing I'm driving hills, rollers or mountains?

Last edited by centrider; 11-26-2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: clean up sentenc

Quick Reply: MPG manual calculation a must!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands