Perspective with gas now at $1.70/gallon

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Perspective with gas now at $1.70/gallon

Anyone who has seen my posts might know that I have a somewhat sarcastic, yet practical, approach to the economizing issue(s).
I've long argued that there is (more or less) a 5 MPG differential that one can strive for if one adheres to many of the more prudent driving techniques.
The recent economic malaise has caused pump prices to (temporarily?) plummet.
This severly changes the cost of driving, no?
Assuming the average driver racks up 12,000 miles a year and the driver pushes the car from 35 to 40 MPG, that will result in a saving of 42 gallons a year.
Currently, in NJ one can pay as low as ~1.72/gallon cash(if not lower).

That's ~$72.24 a year in annual savings.

What will these savings allow you to do?
  • It wont be enough to get you into Madison Square Garden to see one Knicks game (assuming you wanted to).
  • It's not enough to pay for one month of service on an iPhone
  • It's not enough to buy one share of Apple, yet (ironically) it will allow you to purchase one share of Toyota Motors
  • It might get you 'steak for two' at Peter Lugers, but forget about any side orders (I recommend the creamed spinach), beer or dessert. Be prepared to explain to your waiter why you stiffed him on the tip, it's a long walk to your car at night!
  • It will, however, pay for nine crossings of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge (with enough left over to stop for a bagel and a schmear in Manhattan)
Okay, you get my point.
I'm not against saving money.
I think it's great and if we further reduce our reliance on imported oil, hey, we all win.
My point is simply this...life is short and driving can be pleasureable.
Don't drive yourself crazy (driving 37 MPH with cruise control, checking your tire's inflation every two days or agonizing over 5W or 0W oil) trying to eek out a few extra miles per gallon.
Hey, if it makes you happy, go for it, but I believe, most wouldn't go to such efforts to save $72 a year ($1.38/week) in any of the other aspects of their life.
Enjoy the car and don't fret the mileage.

I hope these comments don't get me banned from this forum (and yes, I'm aware that pump prices can rise, too)

Last edited by haroldo; 12-05-2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Perspective with gas now at $1.70/gallon

Larry,

It's like driving a video game to me. I use 5w-20 oil, check my tire pressure once a week (have done that for 35 years...) and drive 60 to 65mph (or more) on the road and still get 40+mpg. It's more of a hobby to me now and becoming a habit.

I like fine machinery (love my firearms also), enjoy working on and detailing them to keep them at their finest (I hope my wife doesn't find out some of my waxes are $175.00) and enjoy the challenge of increasing the cars mileage. My business partner on the other hand just drives his, gets 36 to 37 mpg and is happy.

To each his own....

Old 12-05-2008, 06:04 AM

I started out (somewhat) like you, watching the statistics closely.
Lately, I'm more like your partner...I just drive it.
I like seeing a higher MPG, but can live with it only at 36-ish (it's colder up here and I have shorter trips).

Old 12-05-2008, 11:35 AM

Gas at $1?
It has been almost ten years since nationwide gas prices were as low as one dollar, and Gulf Oil CEO Joe Petrowski says one dollar gasoline is coming back as early as next year
CNBC Video

Trade in your hybrid for a Hummer?

Last edited by haroldo; 12-05-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
It's like driving a video game to me. I use 5w-20 oil, check my tire pressure once a week (have done that for 35 years...) and drive 60 to 65mph (or more) on the road and still get 40+mpg. It's more of a hobby to me now and becoming a habit.
Um, 0w-20 is better on mileage...I guess you'll have to start agonizing over having put in 5w-20 as I did after forgetting to specify 0w-20 at my last oil change You would think the dealer would put in recommended 0w-20 recommended in the manual

Old 12-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

ruc2827,

I use the same oil in 7 cars that I keep up. It's bad enought that I have to stock 4 filters for them without the added pain of two oil grades. I can also get the 5w-20 at WallyWorld for a LOT cheaper than 0w-20. With my driving distance (25 to 30 miles each way) the 0w-20 oil will have a very slight improvement in mpg over 5w-20.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, I actually have the opposite problem where my trip is a few miles in cold weather, so I'm really kicking myself for not getting 0W-20 I'll probably stick to 5W-20 in the warmer weather.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I only hope people are not foolish enough to go out and buy a Hummer just because gas is $1.70/gal now. Think back to 2005 when gas hit $3/gal. It will be going back up there. Even if it doesn't, do you just go back to the wasteful ways many people here in the US were living, is that smart?? I sure think not!! Let's talk truth! Even if gas is only $1.70/gal, you still are getting better mileage, saving money and helping the enviroment! I think those are reasons enough to write that idea off!!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but people aren't that smart. It will take a few months, or longer, but eventually, people will adjust to lower prices and increase their consumption of fuel. The country has gone through a few fuel shocks. The one in the 1970's was significantly more problematic than the recent one, yet the pain was a distant memory when people abandoned their Pintos, Gremlins and Chevettes and bought SUVs.
Trust me, the average consumers are very short sighted and foolish.

Last edited by haroldo; 12-06-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast

Gas here is down to $1.49 per gallon and people have already started the whizzing past on the interstate at 85 miles and hour. People NEVER learn!

Quick Reply: Perspective with gas now at $1.70/gallon

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands