2009 Escape Hybrid engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Escape Hybrid engine light

Hi everyone,

When problem first started months ago, the light would come and go. Now it's on pretty much constantly, and this is AFTER the dealer "fixed" it by reprogramming, which is what they told me the problem was. Ironically, the light was on before we were even off their lot. There doesn't seem to be any problem other than the light being on. Still, I tend to think the light being on is a problem in and of itself. Before I waste my time taking it back again, any insights?

Thanks and happy holidays to all!

Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Default Re: 2009 Escape Hybrid engine light

Originally Posted by 09escape
Hi everyone,

When problem first started months ago, the light would come and go. Now it's on pretty much constantly, and this is AFTER the dealer "fixed" it by reprogramming, which is what they told me the problem was. Ironically, the light was on before we were even off their lot. There doesn't seem to be any problem other than the light being on. Still, I tend to think the light being on is a problem in and of itself. Before I waste my time taking it back again, any insights?

Thanks and happy holidays to all!
It sounds like the HV battery Blend door, but you didn't give me enough information. Does the light go out after the key is cycled? Sometimes? Most of the time? My light went On and Off like this for 2 years and 30,000 miles in my '05 FEH, and I sold it with the light Off never fixing it. There was never a driving issue with that light problem. My emissions light started doing the same thing, but the CAT was getting stopped-up and it had to be replaced. My Scangauge would reset the emissions light, but it would not reset the Blend door light.

GaryG

Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

Hi GaryG,

Thanks for your reply. The light comes on when you start the car and stays on until you turn it off. My invoice from dealer states, "reprogram to latest calibration for check engine light," although like I said this didn't fix it.

I seem to think I heard somewhere that there was a known issue with a sensor that could cause the engine light, but maybe I'm getting confused in my old age.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by 09escape
Hi GaryG,

Thanks for your reply. The light comes on when you start the car and stays on until you turn it off. My invoice from dealer states, "reprogram to latest calibration for check engine light," although like I said this didn't fix it.

I seem to think I heard somewhere that there was a known issue with a sensor that could cause the engine light, but maybe I'm getting confused in my old age.
You have an issue needing repair by a qualified Hybrid Tech. Even the Blend door problem can be seen on a Hybrid Scan tool. Take your FEH back to the dealer that reprogrammed the module and tell them to fix it under the 12 month guarantee, or pay a new dealer to do the work. It maybe the inst. panel is bad.

GaryG

Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

If the light that you are refering to is the wrench light, I may have the fix for you. We had this happen to our 2007 FEH. I did a lot of research and found that many people had the same issue. Some of them were able to repair the proble by replacing the HV Battery Blend Door Actuator, however many of them had the problem reoccur after a short time. I decided to open the Blend Door Actuator to see why they are so intermittent. I found that the electrical connections for the motor were only made by friction pressure. Meaning that the electrical posts on the motor slide into clips. They are not even spring loaded, so after hitting one good bump the connection gets loose. I soldered a wire to the clips and then soldered the other end of the wire to the corresponding post for the motor. This was the end of the wrench for my 2007 FEH. I can't say for sure that this will fix your problem, but it is the way I fixed mine. I hope this helps. Forgot to mention that there is also a filter that can get clogged and cause the wrench, however you would not get the wrench that quickly as you mentioned it came on before you made it out of the parking lot. None the less - You should probably change it if you haven't done it already.