Coincidence or Correlation???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Coincidence or Correlation???

Can someone please tell me that there is really no correlation between these sequence of events??:

As some of you have read here: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...de-rear-29652/

1. Mothers Day 2014--the rear battery A/C refrigerant lines need to be replaced due to leaking.
2. Week before Fathers Day 2014--the AC condenser need to be replaced due to cabin AC not working.
3. Week of Fathers Day 2014--the thermostat needs to be replaced due to engine service light due to engine running too cool.

People with knowledge here please tell me what is going on?!? What's next--the heater core? I wanted to keep this FEH since it has less than 50k miles, but WTF.

Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited by JCPerformance; 06-20-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Coincidence or Correlation???

The A/C system issues are completely unrelated to the engine thermostat issue. There is no way those systems could affect one another, so chalk it up to bad luck.

Try to use the correct terminology for everything, as it makes it easier to understand and causes less confusion. I read your old thread and it's not actually a "coolant line" in #1 above, it's an "A/C refrigerant line" that was replaced. I'm curious about that leak though. Was it actually leaking from somewhere on a section of the line itself, like from a bend, crack, or hole, or was it simply leaking at the connection between 2 lines? I would assume it to be at the coupling between lines, as o-rings get old and leak over the years. If it was indeed from a bend or crack in the actual line, I would surmise road debris or something hit it hard enough to cause the damage as they don't normally just rupture.

I didn't see in either of the threads where the A/C condenser was replaced. How was that diagnosed, and how do you know that was an issue?

BTW, thermostat replacement and engine coolant flushes are normally done together just as easy preventative maintenance to avoid needing to do one later after the other, so don't be surprised if the shop wants to do the entire engine cooling system flush during the thermostat replacement.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, I corrected the terminology like you suggested, but in all fairness the dealership has been mixing up terminology and confusing the hell out of me as well.

The refriderant line leak was right at the clamp point next to the driverside rear shock where the lines run parallel (throguh that clamp/fastner)..

The A/c condenser was replaced after I noticed the AC was not working the week after I got it back from the first service call (#1 above)..

They are changing the thermostat today and didn't mention a cooling system flush...

Thanks for your response.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

"Clamp point"?
I'd have to see a picture of it, but it sounds like the coupling between the individual lines that are secured to each other with a bolt, right? I was under mine checking and tightening those connections months ago, and though I haven't seen how those lines connect internally, I would be surprised if it's anything other than an o-ring at those couplings to keep them from leaking, just like what's used to connect the lines to the compressor.

I would then find it hard to believe they charged you $1100 for something that doesn't sound all that difficult to do, especially for what you called a "line kit" --- I'm betting it's nothing more than a plastic bag of green rubber o-rings. I'm really curious if they changed out lines, or what, but it sounds like typical stealership biz. I hate to say it, but never trust any shop, and verify yourself whether parts have been replaced. Did you verify whether or not the condenser now in the vehicle is actually new? It should be easy to tell, as the paint should look new, and there shouldn't be many bugs, etc stuck to it --- compare it to the radiator to get a better idea.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, I'll get you a pic after I pick it up tonight, but yes, the coupler that bolts it to the unibody. It was leaking right at that point. The dealership said there was a break in the line, and it needed to be replaced. The lines only came as a "kit" also....hah.

I will check the condition of the refridgerant lines, the AC condenser, and now the thermostat. If anyone would like to verify exactly where those last two are on a '08 FEH--that would be great.

Thanks again.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

The condenser is in the front of the vehicle, and is basically a radiator, likely smaller than the engine's radiator. Trace the lines to/from it and you'll notice they're connected to the rest of the A/C system.

I haven't messed with mine, but here's a thread and pic showing the thermostat location on an 08 FEH:
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3rx2l...brid-2008.html

Old 06-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Coincidence or Correlation???

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
The condenser is in the front of the vehicle, and is basically a radiator, likely smaller than the engine's radiator. Trace the lines to/from it and you'll notice they're connected to the rest of the A/C system.

I haven't messed with mine, but here's a thread and pic showing the thermostat location on an 08 FEH:
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3rx2l...brid-2008.html

I know the front..lol. I'm assuming somewhere in front of the radiator. Thanks for the thermostat link/pic.