FEH OIL CHANGE

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH OIL CHANGE

I had mine done about a month ago when they had a $33 special that checked everything and filled all fluids and rotated tires. They tried to charge me $20 extra because they said the hybrif filter was more but I pointed out there was no exception on their coupon. I have purchased the Ford oil filter and it was only about $9. Get your checkbook ready when you have to replace the air filter - $55.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:53 PM

Jeff, I'm glad you cleared that up on the 15-20W and the 5-20W. I heard that Mobil 1 is not making the 0-20W anymore, I don't know for sure.

My 2002 Explorer uses 5-20W with the old spec. (GF-3) oil. I tried pennzoil 5-20W non syn. oil and got better gas mileage. I didn't want to use it in my FEH because of the amount of starts it makes. Not sure their is an additive to coat parts for the increased starts.

The parts man where I bought the 930-A oil was trying to sell me a Motorcraft full 5-20W syn. oil. From what I understand, that oil just is cleaner and last longer, not better MPG. That would explain why I got better MPG with real oil than the syn. mix.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I think the only time synthetic MIGHT help your mileage is if it is thinner than the regular dino juice. Otherwise, I doubt if there would be any difference at all. One thing is for sure if it did make a difference with the Hybrid/Nav option you would know it pretty quick.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Ray, the fact is, I had to use a rag between the wrench and the oil filter cap to grip it so it wouldn't slip. I'm not a wimp by any means but my hat is off to you for determination.

So your buying another FEH. I would do the same if I had the money. My son is at MIT and lives at Theta Chi on Beacon St. in Boston near you. I hope to buy him one for graduation in two years, we'll see.
Gary - I don't feel bad anymore about how hard it was to get the filter off. For a long time I thought I was turning it backward or something. Luckily it has an arrow on it showing which way to turn to remove. Not sure if it was determination or desparation that got it off.....

I am on Beacon Street every day so I know where your son's place is. Wild partys there every night...(just kidding about that).

Already got the second one. Gave the "old one" to the wife. Can't wait to see how the mileage is for her - she drives like an old lady but not sure how she'll comprehend the whole regen braking, etc. Maybe it will be a wash.

Ray

Old 06-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Early Adopter

This is the first time I've heard of any oil consumption problems in FEH. I have 9500 miles on mine and it's not consumed a drop.

As to OCI (Oil Change Interval) I think the 10K interval is reasonable given the reduced amount of idling (always hardest on an engine) the FEH does. Modern motor oil has come a LONG way since the old 3000 mile recommendations were the rule...even my 1995 Volvo wagon had a 10K service interval.

For mine I'm going to use Mobil 1 5w20 (was finally able to locate some at the local AutoZone) which does meet the 930-A spec. Also going to use the Wix filter, which costs half what the Motorcraft one runs and includes both o-rings.

Old 06-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevewa
Also going to use the Wix filter, which costs half what the Motorcraft one runs and includes both o-rings.
Thanks for the tip on the Wix filter and o-ring kit. I paid $12.44 each for two filters yesterday without either o-ring. What did the Wix kit cost? How does the quality look?

Thanks

on edit: picked up the big o-rings today that the dealer ordered.....$10 EACH. Here I come Wix...

Last edited by nitramjr; 06-14-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:59 PM

[Q problems in FEH. I have 9500 miles on mine and it's not consumed a dUOTE=stevewa]This is the first time I've heard of any oil consumptionrop.

I really don't think thats any big deal of oil consumption with a drop in 6,600 miles. I would be very concerned if the stick showed max. after I put 4 1/2 qts in but it was in the middle of max. and min. When I checked it before the change, it was at min.. That would be less than a qt I would think during break-in and say 5,000 miles. Not that bad.

My point was that with the FEH, your going three times as many miles before normal Ford oil changes. Most of the normal Fords would not drop much in 3,000 miles that you would notice.

Your FEH has gone 9,500 miles without using a drop. I can't explain why but only say my FEH was either not full from the start or used that oil. I don't think I have an oil consumption problem at this point. It may be the driving habits, weather condition etc. that make the difference. Alot can happen in 10,000 miles and I would be ready to add oil during that time.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Early Adopter

In my experience a leak is much more likely than burning oil...but I know Ford does not consider oil consumption a problem until it hits something on the order of 1 quart per 1000 miles.

The Wix filter is part number 57203. The quality appears good (Wix is one of the better aftermarket filter makers and is the supplier of filters to Ford in the Canadian market). This particular filter is also used on the 2.3L engines in the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 cars, so unlike the air filter at least we have some choices.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:03 PM

Thought I'd respond back on this thread about oil consumption at my first oil change. STEVEWA pointed out that he had 9,500 miles on his FEH and had not used a drop in his while my FEH was on "min" when I check it before the oil change.

I now have about 12,000 miles on FEH and ready to change the oil again. I just checked it and it looks like it has not used a drop from the 6,100 change. I don't think the FEH used the oil during break-in but think I was shorted from the factory at this point.

At any case, I'm pleased now. Even better with the added miles, the FEH goes into EV mode easier and I can set the cruise at 35mph till the battery gives out. Thats about a three mph improvement from the beginning.

Only problems is the lock up in the ICE mode where I have to stop for about 30 seconds for the engine to shut down into EV mode. The other problem is the auto locks quit working a few months ago which needs to be repaired by the dealer. I tried to reset it but got no responce.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Early Adopter

I should probably update...I did have the oil changed at 10K and used Mobil 1 5w20. I had brought my Wix filter to the dealer in case they didn't have the o-rings in stock. They did in fact have them, but got confused and used my Wix filter instead of a Ford one. They gave me a new Ford filter and large o-ring in compensation since the first oil change was comped anyway.

They also put all 5 quarts of oil in the sump, overfilling well above the fill line on the dipstick (excuse me, oil level indicator). So, I decided to put the Motorcraft filter in, figuring I'd drain off enough oil in the process to bring the fill level right to the upper mark. Worked out pretty well...and no signs of any oil consumption after about 3k miles.

Quick Reply: FEH OIL CHANGE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands