My 100K Mile Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default My 100K Mile Report

October 17th, 2007 my odometers 6th digit appeared signaling the end of any warrantees I may have at once had! This post is a continuation of my original post “My 50,000 mile report” that can be read from the below link.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...e-report-8192/

I was able to get 94,235 miles out of my original tires. I was really hoping I could get buy until 100k, but there really was no way to make that mark. Now if I had done the smart thing and rotated the tires I suspect that would not have been a problem. $490 to replace the tires with the same tires from Ford. I did manage to get a $50 rebate at the time of purchase though.

Another unpleasant surprise was the failure of the AC system. I don’t know exactly when the failure happened, but had it repaired on August 6th at about 93k miles. I was told the Compressor and Condenser both needed to be replaced at a cost of about $1200.

I did get the Wire Harness recall, and still need to schedule to have that replaced.
Tonight I updated my mileage chart at GreenHybrid.com. At 100k miles my Avg MPG is 29.3, and I estimate my fuel savings by upgrading from my 2001 FE AWD to be at $4,325. Add the Tax Rebate to the fuel cost savings and I believe I have saved over twice the hybrid premium on my FEH in 2 years, 8 months.

The 29.3 mpg does put me on the low side of FEH owners, but under the circumstances I think it is pretty good. My commute for the first 100k consisted of 100 miles a day traveling at 65mph on a highway 99% of the time. I also run Ethanol “E10” that will tend to lower MPG as well. My 1st year I tried to be real aggressive in the driving tips, and avoided interstate travel like the plague. Since then I have also been a little less concerned thinking life is too short for the effort (Mostly avoiding 65 mph+ travel)

About a month ago I purchased a new house and cut my commute from 100+ miles a day to 28 miles a day. I expect this will make my “150k Mile report” two years out. I guess time will tell.
I would like to thank the community of members who post here. I find that the knowledge that is on this forum and others most of the time makes me more knowledgeable of the issues than the dealership where I get my FEH serviced.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 12-03-2007 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
Old 12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: My 100K Mile Report

Did you post before about your tires when you changed your tires?
I distinctly remember reading about the 94K mile tires before.
Either that, or you are the second person!

Excellent news, and thanks for sharing.
I have never had a tire last more than 60k, ever.
But this is my first hybrid.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:20 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Posts like this make me smile. Glad to see your FEH has served you well past 100K, and can I say, boy, you put a lot of miles on your vehicle!

Like you, I've been maintaining a spreadsheet and keeping track of costs and savings, so it's neat to see how much you've saved, especially since we seem to have gotten our vehicles close to the same time. Despite having only 1/3 of the miles you do, I have managed to recoup 90+% of the "hybrid premium", so it's neat to see you at double that! Simularly, when I got the FEH, my average weekly commute was 240 miles, now it's about 86, thanks to moving, changing jobs, and telecommuting.

Keep up the good work, and I hope to keep hearing updates on how your FEH is treating you well!

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 12-03-2007 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Impressive! Thanks for sharing your report. The a/c repair is a bummer, but it sounds like you haven't had any other major issues (although I didn't read your 50k report). How about brakes? Have you had any brake jobs?

Old 12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Brakes are fine. I don't anticipate ever having to change brake pads. I drive 95%+ Hwy.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Did your fuel cost savings factor in the price difference between ethanol vs. conventional?

How do you get street tires to last over 90K miles? I've never gotten more then 45K

Old 12-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

I have used Ethanol (E10) on all my vehicles, so my cost savings is based on E10 usage on both.

As far as tire life, I have always had good luck with tires. I suspect it is because most of my driving is on Interstate Highways so there is not a lot of speed variations or cornering to accelerate the wear, but that is just a theory