Penalties for using accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Penalties for using accessories?

Are these "true" mpg penalties?

According to Ford, the use of accessories carries these mpg "penalties:"
  • Radio = .8 mpg
  • Rear Defroster = .8 mpg
  • Headlights = .9 mpg
  • Fan on High = 1.3 mpg
  • Using A/C at 60 mpg = 1.2 mpg<

Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Penalties for using accessories?

Yes. And using the A/C in town at slower speeds ( 25 MPh ) you loose about 5 or 6 MPG.

All the power for everything must come from fuel, after all.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

I am SHOCKED that the radio takes off almost a MPG. Really no need for that with todays amplifier technology. There is no way that I will drive around with out the tunes on but that is a little messed up. I mean heck the AC is only using a little bit more then the radio? I am going to have to figure out if I can get better speakers in this thing cuz the tunes sound like doo doo.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Feral Engineer

I really doubt that the radio MPG figure is accurate. One could measure the amperage draw to double check, but I know a radio will play off a couple of AA batteries. Sure can't run an AC off that!

Old 04-18-2008, 04:31 AM
OT7
Enthusiast

According to Ford
Radio = .1mpg

Old 04-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I am SHOCKED that the radio takes off almost a MPG. Really no need for that with todays amplifier technology. There is no way that I will drive around with out the tunes on but that is a little messed up. I mean heck the AC is only using a little bit more then the radio? I am going to have to figure out if I can get better speakers in this thing cuz the tunes sound like doo doo.
No doubt you can get better speakers and make it sound better...if I could ever get one ordered and on it's way to me I'd show you If you want some assistance finding a good shop near you help make yours sound better shoot me a zip code or area and I'll put the feelers out to other shop owners and find you a qualified professional to help. There are many options out there now that will keep the amperage draw down....higher efficiency speakers requiring less amplifier power, full range class d and other high effieciency amplifier designs etc..all will keep the power draw to a minimum.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:45 PM

I was at the Dearbon Event in October 2005 and here is what I had written down:

1. A/C on full time in the city equals a 40% loss! At a highway speed A/C = a 10% loss.

2. Expect 25% lower MPG in winter ( all winters are not created equal, of course )

3. Radio drops you 0.1 MPG, Rear Defrost 0.8 MPG,
Headlights 0.9 MPG, and Fan on High, no A/C drops you 1.3 MPG

4. Every 300 pound increase in weight drops FE by 1 MPG.

5. Windows down gives better MPG than A/C use at all speeds.

6. 1.4 mpg loss if tire pressures are 10psi low.

*Note: Figures are for 2005 model year. Models in 2006 and 2007 should be the same. 2008???

Last edited by gpsman1; 04-25-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: *added note
Old 04-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

I live in phx az, and run the AC quite extensively. I use the maxAC setting that allows ICE shutdown, and I think I would notice a 40% hit. I consistantly stay around 35.2 to 35.5 MPG. (Unless the 40% is AC continuous?)

Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 PM

We have a mis-match of terms.

Max AC is one of the red positions, and that runs the A/C constantly.
A white setting is non-max ( called "econ" in other cars ) and allows the engine to go off.
With no EV and no idle stop at lights, you will see close to 40% lower MPG, depending of course on how many minutes a day you spend at stoplights.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I also would contest 5-6 mpg at city driving UNLESS you mean on max with the ice running all the time.

Living in FL, my wife drives 99% city (local). her avg is consistantly 35-36 in the summer months with the ac on (econ mode) and 36-37 during the months it is not needed.

Since we have owned the truck we have not seen any condition alter the mpg by 5-6.

DISCLAIMER: This is what WE have experienced, YOUR experiences may differ.

08FEH

Quick Reply: Penalties for using accessories?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands