Anyone buy the spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Anyone buy the spare tire?

I saw at least one person mentioning the possibility of buying the spare tire as an add-on - has anyone done that? How much did it cost? Did it fit underneath the trunk? I know it does in the Canadian model but I wasn't sure if they reconfigured the space any differently with the absence of the spare.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Rarely post anything

I'm waiting for this to be announced, as well - I'll probably check on it when I go in for my 1st oil change in a few weeks. Saw someone mention on another board (?) that Honda's going to announce a retrofit kit.

I'll guess that it's going to cost at least a couple hundred bucks - you've got the tire / wheel, the mounting bolt & adapter flange, & a new tool tray (the existing won't fit with the tire installed. Add in some markup, and I'm thinking $200.

Oh, well...at least the air compressor may still come in handy...

Old 02-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default accord hybrid spare

I plan to buy a spare when I purchase my Accord. I'm waiting for my car to arrive. I had the salesman check the trunk when I was on the phone and he said it had a place to attach the bolt. I would think the same space saver spare used in a regular Accord should fit. Any thoughts?

Rich

Old 02-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Rarely post anything

It's the same spare. You just need the tire & wheel, bolt (the threaded mount is there already), and the mounting spacer (the thing that you flip depending on if the spare or the full size wheel is in the trunk). A new tool tray holder will be needed as well, because the molded shape of the installed one won't co-exist with a spare tire installed.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Rarely post anything
Post Spare tire kit: $120.00

Part # is 06421-SDR-A00 (Wheel kit) as listed on the invoice. I was on Owner Link the other day, and they now have the parts catalog online - you can take a look there if you're interested in what comes in the kit.

Had the parts counter order it when I went in for my 1st oil change today. I had a $40.00 redemption certificate from the dealer, so it was net $80.00 plus tax. At that price, I went for it...peace of mind of having a spare is worth that, and it's certainly cheaper than the $200.00 I estimated

At $120, it may be worthwhile to take a trip to your local boneyard and look for a V6 parts car that you can grab the spare / hardware out of (remember that the L4 cars have 4 bolt lug pattern, so you can't use one from those cars!)

Parts guy says that it's sourced from Japan, just like the car was (and apparently, *all* the parts are - even the ones that are common to the non-hybrid models).

Glad that Honda's a fairly reliable make...and that my dealer has loaners...

Old 03-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I, too, was concerned at first that the HAH does not come with a spare. But then, I was also concerned when our 1999 Accord came with a donut spare instead of a full size tire. After 138,000 miles the donut spare has yet to be used (I'm typing this miles away from the car, so maybe the flat gremlins can't hear...). Still, I know, flats do happen.

But here's two other sides for the HAH arrangement (other than weight savings which isn’t much of an issue with me; if I’m going for mega-mileage, I should have bought an Insight) instead of having a spare.

1. Before we bought the HAH, I asked 10 people I know this question:
It's 40 degrees and a light rain, 10 p.m. at night, and you have a flat on a fairly deserted section of highway--would you prefer (a) to change the tire to a donut spare, or (b) to leave the tire on the car, squirt sealant into it, and inflate it with an air pump connected to the car lighter? Ten of ten chose (b) with very little hesitation.

2. Having a spare may not let you fix the flat. I know two guys who’ve had flats in the last couple of months who could not remove the lug nuts with the tools which came with their cars. Both are young and healthy, 170-190 pounds, and neither could budge the lugs by jumping on the lug nut wrench. One had AAA and a cell phone; the second got help from a trucker with a wrench with better leverage. Last time I rotated tires, the tech gave up on the impact wrench he’d installed the tires with, squirted WD 40, got a lug wrench with a handle 4 times as long as the ones that come with cars, stood on it, then went for a 6 foot length of pipe as a cheater to finally break one set of lugs loose. This was a couple of months after some winter driving on snow/salt slush. If I had had a flat on that tire, I would have been stuck.

All that being said, if you gave me the choices of full spare, donut spare or HAH fix kit, I’d go for the full spare (and watch tire installation carefully, and carry WD 40, and buy a better lug wrench, and stash a cheater somewhere, and have AAA, and that’s all I need, and maybe this lamp...).
Lewis

Old 03-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Rarely post anything

Hi, Lewis...

I've had pretty good luck w/ flats, too... ::fingers crossed:: the '01 Accord that I traded had > 75K mi on the OEM Michelins, usable tread, and nary a flat in the 4yrs I owned it. So I'm hoping that these Michelins prove similar. But the peace of mind of an actual spare means a lot to me.

W/ regard to your 10 folks - I bet if they saw a copy of the flat repair procedure in the owner's manual, at least a few of them would change their minds. Have you read it ? You've got to pull the valve core out, and reinsert it afterward. Then, after reinflating the tire, you have to drive on it a little bit, get out, and hook up the compressor again to check the pressure. Seems like you'll be getting just as wet / cold / hot / endangered by oncoming traffic, etc, to *me*, at least...

Also, take into account that this is a new procedure to most people - (just about) everyone knows the basics of changing a tire, but *correctly* repairing with the IMS sealant takes the foresight to both read the manual, and perhaps practice with a dry run. Last thing you need is to be in the middle of nowhere late at night, perhaps with inclement weather to boot, messing up your shot of sealant because you didn't know to pull the valve core, and then be up the creek - better hope you've got a family member or a *very* good friend nearby to call, because the auto club likely isn't going to be carrying a tire / wheel for you, and if they do, will it be in the correct 114mm bolt offset pattern for your car ?

If not, you'll be likely replacing some wheel studs later, provided you can get the wheel on the car, and be able to *keep* it on while driving...

The other thing is that once the sealant is sprayed into the tire, that tire is now considered 'unrepairable' by most shops, as the sealant (any, not just our IMS bottle) can cause problems / hazard with their equipment . Which means you'll be buying a new tire. At $145 / ea (online), the cost of the spare is offset by just one flat that it's used for. Me, I'd hate to have to replace a tire with lot of usable tread left on it - but that's me.

Ironically, the part that I liked *least* about the spare was the weight that it'll add - while I don't expect Insight-type mileage from this car (although if I ever put it in Wayne's hands, you never know! , I am trying to see what I can push it to, now that I know I can meet EPA estimates pretty easily, and with a little work, get even better

Right now, my tank over tank seems to be stuck at about 29.5mpg w/ 0% interstate here in the cold winter of N. IL. Given that, the weight *is* a slight factor for me (but I'll live with it - maybe I'll start exercising to offset the 40# or so that the spare will add...LOL).

And re: stuck lug nuts - I may be making an assumption here, but were you in the habit of rotating your tires ? With the mileage I see you putting on your car in the DB (very similar to mine), I'm guessing that you would be changing your oil fairly frequently, and thus, it's a good time to rotate the tires (I was doing 7500mi intervals w/ Mobil1 in the '01 Accord, and it was convenient to have the dealer rotate the tires when they did the oil change).

Never had a complaint about the lug nuts being stuck (of course, they used an impact wrench - which made *me* complain about how tightly they were torqued, because I didn't want the rotors warped. We'll see if this new dealer's mechanics have torque sticks or not...

Old 03-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi GreenAndBlue:

___The 03-05 I4 based Accord’s have 5-bolt lug pattern as does the V6’s. I don’t know if it is an exact pattern match but they both have the 5-bolt pattern.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Rarely post anything

___The 03-05 I4 based Accord’s have 5-bolt lug pattern as does the V6’s. I don’t know if it is an exact pattern match but they both have the 5-bolt pattern.

Hi, Wayne... thanks for posting this. If there's one person on this board who knows more Honda 'trivia' than me....it's you I bow before the master

Figures that Honda would change this with the 7th-gen Accord, and I'd stick my foot in my mouth

As I posted earlier in the thread...was at Rosen today for the 1st oil change. Brought my 5 bottles of Mobil1 0w-20, and the tech says... "that's the same oil we use - you can save that for next time, since this one is on us"

"You put Mobil1 in for oil changes ?" ::incredulous & disbelieving::

"Yep - for the S2000 and the hybrid cars. 0W-20"

You seem to be on knowledgeable terms with them - was the kid pulling my leg ?

And if not...why would you have been bringing them your own Mobil1 all this time (except that it was still cheaper)?

And why would they use 0W-20, when they should likely get the Honda 5w-20 at a much cheaper cost, and be adhering to 'specs' ? I didn't see any signs stating "extra charge for synoil when required" on their oil change promotions... (I know - I should have asked the tech that, not you)

On another note - I pulled a sample of the break-in oil and sent it off to Blackstone today - so we'll see what's in that oil besides a ton of molybdenum... I've always been curious to know, since Honda's been telling people all these years that their break-in oil was 'unique'...

Old 03-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi GreenAndBlue:

___I remember when I first asked Rosen Honda about prices for an oil change and they came back with $39.95 for Hybrid’s. I asked what it would be if I brought in my own and they said $9.xx. I purchased my own 2.5 Quarts worth of Mobil1 0W-20 and a Supertech afterwards. If you only knew how close I live to them … I was off today and it would have been nice to go for a test drive with you behind the wheel of your new AH!

___IIRC, the Moly loaded break in oil Honda uses is Mobil/Exxon derived. What its viscosity and or other “contaminates” it consists of is something I would be very much interested in. Please post the Blackstone Labs report as soon as you receive it.

___On a similar note, someone over at BITOG posted a 13K mile report on some Amsoil 0W-30 and an Amsoil filter in an 04 Accord 2.4 L I4. Very good results indeed … 10K with some Mobil1 0W-20 and a Supertech should be child’s play in your AH.

Amsoil 0w30 2004 Honda Accord 2.4 13,101 OCI

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: Anyone buy the spare tire?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands