new issues in the HAH

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default new issues in the HAH

Hello all - it has been a while; I have been busy enjoying my HAH . . .

Mileage is great - have seen up to 50 just after filling up on the highway, although it goes down as the miles add up - all in all, I am only gassing up 3X per month these days. I love it and the power - it is all I can do to not get speeding tickets! Overall, 32 mpg is about average and about 415 mph before refueling about 14.5 gallons. Have never had to put in more than that . . . .

But there is a potentially serious downside. I am smelling coolant in the cabin at times. At first I thought it came from other cars. I verified it was mine after starting the car from being parked in a garage for 6 hours ; when I restarted it, the air that blew out definitely smelled of coolant. There has been no change in the temperature gauge on the instrument cluster.

Also, I have developed a moderate squeaking noise from the front driver side tire when turning the steering wheel. It does it without fail every time the steering wheel is moved side to side. It also squeaks when I get out of the car ( seemed like a strut/shock?) going over small bumps ( like a driveway).

Vehicle has just under 30K. Car will be getting its 30K service and will update all of you as to what I learn from SPORT HONDA in Silver Spring MD.

Also, has anyone noticed a high pitched tone at high speed ( over 70mph). What is that?

Otherwise, the car is doing QUITE well and Honda's level of refinement in this vehicle is something that amazes me daily.

Opinions?

MT

Old 04-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: new issues in the HAH

Originally Posted by hyaena85
Opinions?
No. No opinions on the problems. I've never experienced any of those issues with my car. Hopefully the dealer can make something of it.

I don't know how the HVAC system works in the HAH, but with my older cars, there's a heater core in the cabin that has a coolant hose running to it. When the heater core (or associated hoses) springs a leak, then there's a distinct smell of coolant in the car. However, I don't know if that'll be an issue with the HAH.

Overall, sounds like the car is doing great! 32mpg average? Awesome!

I've filled up with 15 gallons once, when I did a 600 mile tank. I was getting really worried as I was approaching the 600 mile mark. The needle was pointing right to E and there wasn't a gas station in sight for a long ways!

Old 04-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast

Wow- someone actually commented/replied!! thanks !

Yeah - the heater core thing was my concern too. I will let the forum know when I talk to the dealer, but my fear, like any other car problem, is that they wont find anything wrong and I'll suffer through anxiety attacks everytime I smell the coolant.

Will also advise on the squeak.

600 miles on a tank would be awesome and I know I could do it if I took her out on a road trip. Ahhhhhh, maybe one day.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hya Ena85,
I also hear a faint whine while driving with load around 70+ on smooth, quiet road.
Seems like it's from the transmission. I have been assuming/hoping it was normal.
This is the first car with auto for 20 years, so not an expert in auto noises.

crbernie

Old 04-08-2007, 04:11 PM

I routinely drive around at 70 mph and I've never noticed any unusual noises. I'll try to pay a little more attention and see if I can make out that noise you both are talking about.

On this past trip I made to Biloxi, I did 3,909 miles with the cruise control set at 80 mph most of the time. I never had any unusual occurences.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

I had the same smell only a week after I bought my Infiniti G35. It turned out that field rats had eaten small holes in the radiator vent line. The cooling fluid had gotten on the belt and it smelled in the cabin. I recommend you check your cooling fluid level.

Chuck

Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

okay - long time no post; sorry - I have been out driving my hah around. .

the smell turned out to be . . . . . . . . regular exhaust!. Honda found no sign of coolant leaking and the level of coolant was unchanged from what spec says it should be. I am assuming the smell of exhaust that I catch an occasional whiff of is the culprit.

the whine/pitch over 70 mph remains, but I just live with it. I just turn up the music. You folks who dont hear are likely not driving fast enough!

the squeak from the front also went away; I was told it was probably water or moisture in/on some of the bushings.

But there is more. I developed a drone at about 1700 RPM's. I told Honda about it, they say to bring the car in to swap out the EGR valve, as there 'is a known problem with it'. I was relieved to hear that it was not transmission related. It sounds like my u-joints on my 84 nissan Z, which are in need of replacement. Like having wind shudder when the windows are not equally down.

Not to be a downer, but a honda tech in silver spring MD also tells me that Honda is seeing a problem with the auto CVT and the 'clutch packs'. I have no clue what they are, but they apparently cause shudder and vibration upon taking off when they go bad. It seems to be occuring more on the Civics - but only because they have been around for a while longer than the HAH.

Really, no other issues to report.
Car is approaching 35,000 miles.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

Mark
I believe the Civic Hybrid uses a CVT tranny but I not sure it has clutch packs. Our HAH 5 speed probably has the 'em.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I've filled up with 15 gallons once, when I did a 600 mile tank.
I actually filled up with less than 15 gallons. 14.230 to be exact. I don't know how far below E I could go, but I wonder if I would have broken 700 miles on that tank?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...&searchid=1404