Back up camera - side effect or mistake

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Back up camera - side effect or mistake

I spent a few hours following the terrific instructions for installing the backup camera in my 07 Camry Hybrid yesterday, and the back up camera works great. Thanks so much to jagbagri and others who contributed (https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11672). I did notice a side-effect, and wonder if I did something wrong, or it's just something that hasn't been mentioned in the forum.

Typically, I leave the headlight control in the "auto" position all the time, including when I leave the car. That way I get the DRL during the day, and head and tail lights at night, and I don't have to remember to turn on the lights.

Now (since the camera install), when I turn off the car, everything goes off except the nav system. If I turn the headlight switch to any other position, then the nav system shuts down.

Did I do something wrong with the installation?

Thanks.

Robin

Old 05-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up camera - side effect or mistake

It gets worse. It was not just the headlight control. I'm sure I did something wrong.

Although the A/C is blowing cool air, the control unit does not turn on. Also, pressing the display button on the steering wheel no longer changes what is displayed on the mult-function display on the instrument panel.

This is terrible. I hope if I disconnect the camera, that these functions return!

Has anyone else run into these problems who can provide suggestions?

Regards,

Robin

Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Ouch.
I hope for your sake you can determine and fix the problem or remove the device without leaving any evidence of tampering. I would fear voiding of warrantee and (personally) would not attempt what you did. But that's just me and my paranoia.
Does the vendor have a customer service dept you can bounce this off of?

Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast

You probably pulled out the connector for the AC control panel while you were installing the camera. The multi-function display button on the steering wheel is grounded through the AC control panel, so if you accidentally disconnected the control panel that would explain both the steering wheel display button and the AC control panel not working.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:27 AM
Enthusiast

schmidtj, I shared you concern that I messed something up badly.

superdog, you are exactly right. I did just what you said and worse. There is a port on the back of the navigation receiver just above the R-10 port that is exactly the same size as the port on the AC control panel. Instead of just not plugging in the AC connector, I plugged it into the nav system instead of the AC!

I tried to post an update yesterday, but had problems loading the forum's pages.

I hope my stupid carelessness helps someone else avoid this silly mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Robin

Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast

i had a problem installing the camera. my bec106 camera had 4 wires at its white plug that i cut off, but, the white and black are actually tied together up in the shielding. the 23 foot cord for the bec camera actually only has a red, yellow and shield-3 conductors. so, where do the wires really go?
thanks,
that AC hookup is an easy one to forget.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jshuster
i had a problem installing the camera. my bec106 camera had 4 wires at its white plug that i cut off, but, the white and black are actually tied together up in the shielding. the 23 foot cord for the bec camera actually only has a red, yellow and shield-3 conductors. so, where do the wires really go?
You are right. jagbagri points out just below thie pictures in his thread (https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11672) that the white and black wires are tied, so it doesn't matter which one goes in pin 23 vs. 21. I wired mine the same way he did:

RedPin 24 = +6V Power
White
Pin 23 = Video V- (Shield)
Yellow
Pin 22 = Video +
Black
Pin 21 = Ground

And after I fixed my big stupid mistake, it all worked well.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rfranzel
schmidtj, I shared you concern that I messed something up badly.

superdog, you are exactly right. I did just what you said and worse. There is a port on the back of the navigation receiver just above the R-10 port that is exactly the same size as the port on the AC control panel. Instead of just not plugging in the AC connector, I plugged it into the nav system instead of the AC!

I tried to post an update yesterday, but had problems loading the forum's pages.

I hope my stupid carelessness helps someone else avoid this silly mistake.

Thanks for your help.

Robin
So was everything back to normal once you corrected the connections? And is your camera working now?

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw your last post. I assume that nothing was damaged by plugging the connector in the wrong place?

Last edited by spiff72; 06-12-2007 at 06:50 PM.