Camry Flooded any Help?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Camry Flooded any Help?!!!

So I wake up after a night full of thunderstorms to find the Parking lot at my Apartment complex full of water. My 07' Camry Hybrid had water up to the just below the top of the seats. The car doesnt start and their is a continual buzz happening in the car when you open the doors.

Ive never dealt with a flooded hybrid before and dont know what to expect. I assume being part electric it will be a little more involved to fix this sort of thing. Anyone have an opinion as to if it will be totaled by the insurance, or will it be salvageable, and if they fix it will their be problems down the road?

Im not really sure how much more it costs to fix a hybrid vs a non-hybrid.
Anyone been through this before? Any help/suggestions/anything would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 PM
old fart
Default Re: Camry Flooded any Help?!!!

looks like your insurance company will be buying you a new 09.With the new price drops you should come out fine.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't go near it, not out of any knowledge, but just fear (with all the electrical stuff).
Call the homeowners as well as auto insurer and see who will cover this.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

I regret to inform you that this is one of the situations where I dig out the "He's dead, Jim. You get his Tricorder, I'll get his Wallet." quote.

I've been through one flooded car before (not a TCH) and I would most strongly resist any attempt by the insurance to have it repaired. Press for a total loss and go shopping for a new one. SWMBO was caught in a flash flood that hydrolocked the engine, flooded the passenger compartment up to the bottoms of the seats, and floated it away a few yards. The seat controls and motors never worked right after that, and the dealership replaced the engine, but there were just too many other things going wrong after only a couple of months to keep the car. Thank goodness for the insurance

The mixing of water and electronic components is almost invariably fatal. In a water damaged vehicle situation, there are too many places for water to collect and there will be corrosion. If it does not show now, then it will later. With the voltages involved in a TCH, there will be damage.

Usually, the only thing salvageable after an incident of this type are the souvenier Mardi Gras beads wrapped around the rear view mirror, and those only possibly.

If you live in the East, check out Fitzmall. Word is that they're offering some pretty good prices. If you don't live nearby or don't want to drive back, Their prices can be used to negotiate with a local dealership. I was going to get one from them and drive back, but a local dealer decided to match their price.

Good Luck

Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I totally agree with RadioTek. Don't let anyone convince you that the car can be repaired.

Follow the following three steps:

1) Have fond thoughts of the old car as the insurance company tows it out of the lot.

2) Use your insurance money to by a new '09. (Fitzmall Highly Recommended- See my earlier post)

3) Have fun with your new TCH.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

FYI....

Just checked in at Fitzmall.... They're asking approximately $27,000.00 for a TCH with the Leather and NAV packages.

You might be able to come out pretty close to even from the insurance, depending on your mileage.

Best of luck,

Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

I agree with other posters, the car is totaled.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Bummer... Sorry man. I guess me losing my passenger side mirror yesterday isn't so bad...

Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Pragmatist

There's only one word for this: "Totaled"

The ruined electrical components cost more than a new car, even without installation.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkimich
So I wake up after a night full of thunderstorms to find the Parking lot at my Apartment complex full of water. My 07' Camry Hybrid had water up to the just below the top of the seats. The car doesnt start and their is a continual buzz happening in the car when you open the doors.

Ive never dealt with a flooded hybrid before and dont know what to expect. I assume being part electric it will be a little more involved to fix this sort of thing. Anyone have an opinion as to if it will be totaled by the insurance, or will it be salvageable, and if they fix it will their be problems down the road?

Im not really sure how much more it costs to fix a hybrid vs a non-hybrid.
Anyone been through this before? Any help/suggestions/anything would be greatly appreciated.

You must live in Houston!! We came VERY close to losing our 07 too. My wife usually parks in the street in front of our house. For some reason Monday night she parked all the way up the driveway by our garage. I woke up Tuesday morning to THIS:

After the water started going down...

The Bayou behind my street...

And finally with most of the water gone...

Quick Reply: Camry Flooded any Help?!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands