The KY-built TCHs have no "navel"!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:07 PM
it's just a car...
Default The KY-built TCHs have no "navel"!

Today, I was able to park my TCH from Japan next to one from Georgetown, KY and make a side by side comparison.

I was not able to pop the hood or trunk deck, but everything else looked identical. It was really impressive.

The only difference I could see was that the one from KY does not have the front bumper pop-out.

Has anyone else noticed any other differences?

Last edited by vioarc; 01-19-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: The KY-built TCHs have no "navel"!

The leading characters of the VIN are different.
S/B clearly visible through the windshield.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Enthusiast

There are a few differences under the sheet metal. When I installed the alarm and remote start the wire routing was different than the Japan produced Camry with the wiring entering the cabin through a different hole. Under the hood I noticed no differences.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
The only difference I could see was that the ones from KY do not have the front bumper pop-out.
The TCH's from KY have no need for the strap-down hook (behind the pop out) since there is no boat ride from Japan. Therefore, I would also assume the KY cars also do not have the black strap-down loops hanging down from the underside of the car.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by flopshot
The TCH's from KY have no need for the strap-down hook (behind the pop out) since there is no boat ride from Japan. Therefore, I would also assume the KY cars also do not have the black strap-down loops hanging down from the underside of the car.
Yea, they are teleported directly to your dealer.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj

LOL

To translate...the cars are tied down on the truck when they are shipped from the manufacturer to the dealer, so they have to have tie down loops.

LOL you crack me up schmidtj

Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

LOL you two!

Well, my Camry may be too new to say for sure, but my Kentucky model still is showing no signs of squeaks or rattles other than the coins in the drawer.

2200 miles and very cold here in Ohio lately.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

You gotta love Camry Hybrids being made here in the states. It is indeed a small world.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
OK smartass, not all cars which are truck/train transported have huge tie-down loops like the Camry, because car-carrying trucks and trains do not rock&roll as much as ocean vessels. They are indeed strapped down but not to the same degree. If KY cars have the same underside loops, then so be it. But while you're at it, explain to me why KY cars don't also have the pop-out and associated tie-down hook since that should also be necessary using your logic that they are not teleported.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by flopshot
OK smartass, not all cars which are truck/train transported have huge tie-down loops like the Camry, because car-carrying trucks and trains do not rock&roll as much as ocean vessels. They are indeed strapped down but not to the same degree. If KY cars have the same underside loops, then so be it. But while you're at it, explain to me why KY cars don't also have the pop-out and associated tie-down hook since that should also be necessary using your logic that they are not teleported.
Anyone with an ounce of sense would know the answer to your question.
The cars shipped from Japan are hung vertically like sides of beef in the cargo containers from the hook screwed in the front bumper. You get 3x the cars per container that way.
Cars shipped from KY are shipped flat on transport trucks therefore no need for the front hook.
Ever ride in a truck? They sway and bounce A LOT.

PS. Just kidding about the sides of beef thing.

Last edited by schmidtj; 01-19-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: The KY-built TCHs have no "navel"!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands