View Poll Results: What's your max mpg for 3 to 5 mi initial trip in TCH ?
under 25
0%
over 40
10.53%
under 15
0%
16 to 20
0%
20 to 25
0%
26 to 30
15.79%
31 to 35
21.05%
36 to 40
26.32%
41 to 45
21.05%
46 to 50
0%
51 to 55
0%
over 55 (please specify in text and tell your secret)
5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Max mpg for short trips in TCH

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Max mpg for short trips in TCH

Originally Posted by BOFH
Actually, I can get it as soon as I am on the primary street, so about a mile after I leave my house. The only guess I have that the extra rolling resistance of cold bearings just is the right amount to trigger it, though it does not get as efficient as it would in the summer. At 60kmh (~35mph) the fuel consumption goes to ~5.0l/100km (47mp/USg) where in the summer the consumption would be ~3l/100km (~80mp/USg) at that speed.

In the summer, the first mile through our residential area with multiple stop signs and the ICE running 100% of the time I'm lucky if the SG is below 15l/100km (16mp/USg), but once I get on to the main roads it gets better
Highly interesting.

I guess we take it where we can get it !

Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have to drive 1.7 miles on a small rough paved road to get to the highway. I slowly accelerated to my usual 45 mph adding the CC.
I took these scan gauge readings just as it turned to 5 miles. These readings may not be as accurate as they could be. I had moved the SC from my wife's new pickup to the TCH. I set it to default then did the setup for the TCH. I may try this again to compare after I run though a tank of gas.

miles 5
gals .14
mph 35.8
avg mph 29.0
hours .1

Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I have to drive 1.7 miles on a small rough paved road to get to the highway. I slowly accelerated to my usual 45 mph adding the CC.
I took these scan gauge readings just as it turned to 5 miles. These readings may not be as accurate as they could be. I had moved the SC from my wife's new pickup to the TCH. I set it to default then did the setup for the TCH. I may try this again to compare after I run though a tank of gas.

miles 5
gals .14
mph 35.8
avg mph 29.0
hours .1
Thanks, Jimmy, for going to the trouble.

Very interesting info.

The only way I get good mileage on a trip this short is to start out with warm engine (at least block heater warmed) AND with a very high state of charge.

Jack

Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
Darrel,

Thanks for supplying the relevant details.

Sounds like these trips are a little long for the conditions of the question, but highly interesting info nevertheless.

After driving some toll road you would be fully warmed up and likely at very high state of charge, and so, you would be poised to do maximum EV range.

So, how long is that distance from the gas station up to the ramp on which you stay in EV ?

Jack
I can get on a good exit from the oasis about 2 city blocks to get the car to 40mph, then I accelerate to 60mph (speed limit 55). I keep it at cruise for about 8 miles, then at the hill before the exit (about 1/2 mile before the exit) I let the car coast down to 40mph (usually about 100-200ft into the exit ramp), then I run in battery mode to the toll gate (about 3 city blocks). I come out of the gate slow and uphill and can usually make it to the next ramp on battery (about 1/2-3/4 mile) and then accelerate to 60mph.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM

Jack, I forgot to mention it was 101 degrees outside when we left the house. The engine heated up rather fast in this heat.

104 degrees at 3:10 mdt 11% heat index 98

Jimmy

Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by darrelr
I can get on a good exit from the oasis about 2 city blocks to get the car to 40mph, then I accelerate to 60mph (speed limit 55). I keep it at cruise for about 8 miles, then at the hill before the exit (about 1/2 mile before the exit) I let the car coast down to 40mph (usually about 100-200ft into the exit ramp), then I run in battery mode to the toll gate (about 3 city blocks). I come out of the gate slow and uphill and can usually make it to the next ramp on battery (about 1/2-3/4 mile) and then accelerate to 60mph.
Thanks for the extra details.

"oasis" ? Is that the gas station ?

Jack

Old 06-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by rburt07
Jack, I forgot to mention it was 101 degrees outside when we left the house. The engine heated up rather fast in this heat.

104 degrees at 3:10 mdt 11% heat index 98

Jimmy
Important temperature data, thanks.

And we think it's hot on Texas.

With that kind of sun load, did you ever consider solar energy ?

I bet you could run in EV all summer on the amount of energy you collect just on the roof of the car.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Important temperature data, thanks.

And we think it's hot on Texas.

With that kind of sun load, did you ever consider solar energy ?

I bet you could run in EV all summer on the amount of energy you collect just on the roof of the car.
I wish they did make a high output solar panel to aid the traction batteries. It's really sunny out here almost year round. Some stats say, 358 sunny days a year for Southern New Mexico. Another stat says, 320..

Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 PM

I'll leave this poll open, but I think the likely responses are mostly in now.

Many thanks to all who responded, particularly to those of you who actually went out of your way to do a test drive specifically for the poll.

I'm discounting Darrel's 60 mpg data point. While extremely interesting in it's own right, the trip was too long for the conditions of the poll question.

From the 10 remaining responses, the result for the nominal 4 mile trip is that the average (mean) is 37.5 mpg. The mode and median were also in the range of 36 to 40.

I find it interesting that:
the average, here, of "best" mpg's for 4 miles is 37.5,
while Darrel's result for 8 miles is 60 mpg,
and my own typical experience for an initial trip of the day of 2 miles is about 20 mpg,
and for an initial trip of one mile or less sometimes less than 10 mpg.

It seems to me that it simply takes a definite amount of fuel to start up the car and get it through it's unavoidable initial warm-up sequence, and the shorter the initial trip, the less opportunity there is to average in that initial start-up penalty.

Finally, let's recall that the question asked for "best" experience. I'm wondering how different the response might have been if I had asked for "worst."

Perhaps I'll start a new poll on that.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 06-27-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 PM

I'll leave this poll open, but I think the likely responses are mostly in now.

Many thanks to all who responded, particularly to those of you who actually went out of your way to do a test drive specifically for the poll.

I'm discounting Darrel's 60 mpg data point. While extremely interesting in it's own right, the trip was too long for the conditions of the poll question.

From the 10 remaining responses, the result for the nominal 4 mile trip is that the average (mean) is 37.5 mpg. The mode and median were also in the range of 36 to 40.

I find it interesting that:
the average, here, of "best" mpg's for 4 miles is 37.5,
while Darrel's result for 8 miles is 60 mpg,
and my own typical experience for an initial trip of the day of 2 miles is about 20 mpg,
and for an initial trip of one mile or less sometimes less than 10 mpg.

It seems to me that it simply takes a definite amount of fuel to start up the car and get it through it's unavoidable initial warm-up sequence, and the shorter the initial trip, the less opportunity there is to average in that initial start-up penalty.

Finally, let's recall that the question asked for "best" experience. I'm wondering how different the response might have been if I had asked for "worst."

Perhaps I'll start a new poll on that.
Further to this, I will add that I, myself have sometimes done a 4 mile trip with the engine warm and a good SOC starting out and got approx 40 mpg, (above average in this poll) but today starting out with a warm engine and a low SOC I got 26 mpg (right at the low end of responses to this poll).

And, I further add that, first thing this morning, I started out with a cold (overnight) engine (albiet in 82F outside temp.) and a low SOC and did an initial trip of only one half mile. Result: 8.8 mpg.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 06-28-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Max mpg for short trips in TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands