New 2007 TCH Owner - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New 2007 TCH Owner - some questions

Everything shown in the second link looks like parts that would prevent basic air leakage from the tire. No parts listed that I see to replace the sensor that monitors the air inside the tire.

The parts shown in the diagram usually hold up well and the valve cap also helps prevent any air leakage from the tire.

I was also approached by the discount salesman where I live. He wanted to sell me this same kit per tire. I ask him, why would I need your kits on my new car with only 85 miles on it. He acted like he wish he hadn't ask me that question. You would think he would look at my paperwork and see I was driving a brand new '12 TCH.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

If you want that "rebuild kit" they can be had for less if you have damaged the end of the stem.

TPMS Service kit

For the valve core they remove when replacing the tire, this is all they replace at the store when they DON'T charge you...

TPMS Valve Core TPMS Valve Core
100 of them for $16.16 or 64 cents for all 4 on a car. That is buying a good, nickel plated core at my price and they buy them but the thousands...

That valve core is what keeps the air in the tire. You can also replace the caps if yours are dirty for about .11 each in bulk....

Valve Cap Valve Cap

Old 07-27-2012, 02:58 PM

It would be nice if they could rebuild or cheaply replace the TPMS sensor inside the wheel. With so many sold since they started using them, that the prices would fall and be a lot more affordable.

Could be the sensor is a complicated device and is costly to manfacture.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Jimmy,

The problem is that until recently, they had to stock over 100 different TPMS sensors as they all mounted different or had software that was incompatible between car makers. The newer generation sensors can be programed to work with a car at the store and cover probably 90% of the market. With the aging fleet of installed TPMS sensors out there, the increased demand in the next few years should see some competition among the companies that produce them.

The batteries are sealed into the units as the forces they are subjected to prohibit a replaceable battery that can be secured well enough to last 100,000 miles and more.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Jimmy,

The problem is that until recently, they had to stock over 100 different TPMS sensors as they all mounted different or had software that was incompatible between car makers. The newer generation sensors can be programed to work with a car at the store and cover probably 90% of the market. With the aging fleet of installed TPMS sensors out there, the increased demand in the next few years should see some competition among the companies that produce them.

The batteries are sealed into the units as the forces they are subjected to prohibit a replaceable battery that can be secured well enough to last 100,000 miles and more.
Good information on the subject.

Thanks..

Old 08-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
Everything shown in the second link looks like parts that would prevent basic air leakage from the tire. No parts listed that I see to replace the sensor that monitors the air inside the tire.

The parts shown in the diagram usually hold up well and the valve cap also helps prevent any air leakage from the tire.
The Discount Tire "Sensor Replacement Kit" really has nothing to do with replacing anything inside the sensors themselves, as others have pointed out. It just seems like a way to get an extra $32 out of each customer per set of new tires.
I filled out the Discount Tire online survey form and expressed my concerns with this, as well as with the pressure sales tactics I experienced to purchase the additional tire warranty, and the store manager told me that he would refund the money to me both for the TPMS replacement kits and the extended tire warranty. He told me that I DID need new TPMS components, but that the salesman explained it badly to me the reason why. When I asked the manager specifically why I needed them, he did not seem to know the answer. However, I will go this week and see if they will refund my $74 or so and let you know how it all turns out.
I think it is sad that any tire company charges $8 per tire for a part that costs only twenty cents in bulk quantities and should be part of the normal tire servicing.
I do think however that if Discount Tire refunds my money then they have proven to me at least that they care about their customers and want to do what is right, and that means a lot.

Last edited by AmigaOneFan; 08-05-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

I went to Discount Tire today and the manager gave me a full refund for both the TPMS replacement kits and the extended tire warranties they had charged me.
No problems, no questions asked.

So I must admit that in spite of the initial sales pressure I felt from the salesman at Discount Tire and his unlikely reason for charging me for TPMS replacement kits, they do seem willing to do what is right and care very much about their reputation.
So, overall my experience with Discount Tire is satisfactory. I chose them because they had the best tire prices and had a good reputation for honesty, so my original experience with one particular salesman which has now been taken care of is probably not the normal experience.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM

I'm glad you got it resolved with the main manager refunded your money for the two sensor kits and extended your tire warranty.

He knows what a upset customer can do to a business. Discount as I remember still does free tire rotation. I think they used to fix flats for free ,but i'm not sure if they still do that.

I have had good luck buying tires from them and then using their free rotate and balance service included when you buy their tires.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Scott, glad to see that you were taken care of even if you are from Tennessee.....

Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 AM
Enthusiast

The official price from my Toyota dealer for my 07 TCH keyfob is $251. The key itself costs an additional $102.75.