Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

I like to get count how many people here get TCH windshield cracked recently and how long you own a TCH. I like to use this kind of static data to show Toyota.

I'm thinking TCH windshield is really a problem one according to the examples I heard from local glass shop. It's more easy to get cracked thanregular Camry. If that's the case, it's not safe to TCH driver and Toyota need recall that.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Too Smug
Default Re: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Originally Posted by oldgz
I like to get count how many people here get TCH windshield cracked recently and how long you own a TCH. I like to use this kind of static data to show Toyota.

I'm thinking TCH windshield is really a problem one according to the examples I heard from local glass shop. It's more easy to get cracked thanregular Camry. If that's the case, it's not safe to TCH driver and Toyota need recall that.
I've had same concern (chipped windshield). I thought we'd do this poll as part of larger survey of TCH defects, see my post here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...sues.9644.html. I plan to get this poll up tomorrow (9/1) at latest)

Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have a small chip, very small - about 1/16 inch and not very deep. So far no cracking.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:27 PM
WVGasGuy

I've got > 10,500 miles and no problems.

I doubt though that 2 or 3 chipped windows out of 18,000+ cars will not cause Toyota to believe this is a design flaw.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:47 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Considering the amount of windshields that are broken every year, the incidence of breakage with one particular model would have to be huge to mean much. My TCH took a nasty blow with a rock big enough that I saw it coming for about 2 seconds at 60mph. I was in heavy traffic on the highway so all I could do was watch it bounce off the truck 1 lane over, bound 15 ft high then SMACK, dead center on the windshield. After a loud expletive, I looked, not a scratch. I think I was also a bit lucky because the rock was smooth and round (yea, it was big enough I could tell). Maybe I was a lot lucky... On the other hand, my new (at the time) 04 Sienna lost it's windshield 4 weeks old. Didn't see that rock...

Old 08-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

A windshield related problem.

I washed my car for the first time today (took delivery two weeks ago) and after the wash, I noticed a one inch long scratch (I hope it's not a crack) on my windshield. It's hairline thin but I can feel it with my finger nails.

I don't think it's caused by a flying stone or windshield wipper (never used the wipper because it hasn't rained). Nobody has touched the windshield either. A friend suggested it could be a scratch at the factory. Anyone else having this sort of scratches on their windshields? I am a bit puzzled as the car is otherwise well assembed. Except the steering wheel is not quite straight, I haven't found other issues with the car.

The scratch is small but now that I realized it's there, it bothers me. Any quick fix to make it go away?

Thanks.

Last edited by greencat; 08-31-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Too Smug

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I've got > 10,500 miles and no problems.

I doubt though that 2 or 3 chipped windows out of 18,000+ cars will not cause Toyota to believe this is a design flaw.
Perhaps you are missing the point. There may be a disproportionate number of TCH owners in this very limited sample (GreenHybrid members) who have experienced this problem. If so, the actual incidence of windshield damage may be relatively widespread among the 18,000 or so who have purchased TCH's to date. We don't know, but what we are saying is that this bears watching.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We had a Chevy stationwagon that had a windshield that seemed to crack and craze for no apparent reason. The dealer kept replacing them saying it had something to do with the wide chrome frame on the bottom of the glass. That being said, it is very hard to prove a windshield is defective because it cracks after an impact. In fact, windshieds are not only laminated, but also tempered so the windshield explodes into tiny marbles rather than sharp, jagged pieces if hit hard enough. That's why even little dings can craze in the weirdest directions.

Interestingly, the TCH windshield and back window do NOT have frames: they're just stuck to the front of the car with Super Bubble Yum (not sure what flavor.)

Old 08-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freeze
Interestingly, the TCH windshield and back window do NOT have frames: they're just stuck to the front of the car with Super Bubble Yum (not sure what flavor.)
That freaked me out a little bit when I noticed it while washing the car last weekend. I thought the windshield had been installed incorrectly at first! The rear window is the same. I've never seen car windows that don't have a rubber seal surrounding their edges.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dalerb
That freaked me out a little bit when I noticed it while washing the car last weekend. I thought the windshield had been installed incorrectly at first! The rear window is the same. I've never seen car windows that don't have a rubber seal surrounding their edges.
I believe that they are attached with a very strong adhesive, and actually become part of the structural rigidity of the body.

I personally think it provides a much cleaner look, with out the rubber seal and/or chrome moldings of yesteryear. (very 1990's!) I like to think it is much more high tech, keeping in line with the rest of the high tech nature of the car.

Last edited by jbollt; 08-31-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Poll on TCH Windshield Crack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands