TCH original oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH original oil

Correct me if I am wrong, but is one benefit of using synthetic oil is that it is not imported from the Middle East, and it's made in the USA? (At least Amsoil is made in USA)

Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Pennzoil Platinum is also made in the USA, I'd imagine Mobil 1 is as well.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by nicst47
Correct me if I am wrong, but is one benefit of using synthetic oil is that it is not imported from the Middle East, and it's made in the USA? (At least Amsoil is made in USA)
Not exactly, Group III base oils, used in the majority of synthetic lubricants, is still refined from crude oil, and comes from outside the US.

Since most refineries in the US are older (>30 years) and use an older solvent refining process, the base oils are Group I/II - not Group III.

In fact, according to the Global Guide to Base Oil Refining, Petro-Canada is the only refiner of Group III base oil in North America at 2,000 bpd.
http://www.lngpublishing.com/BaseStockGuide/index.cfm

However, I'm sure that most, if not all, of the major oil companies BLEND synthetic products in the US - including Nippon Oil (Childersburg, Alabama)

In any case, I would highly recommend using an API approved 0W-20 in order to keep your warranty in place.
http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByVisc...iscosity=0W-20

Old 12-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I heard a while back that Chevron gets their oil from huge oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. My guess is, they may refine most of their own gasoline from that same oil.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 AM

I think we need to add "Made in the USA" stickers to our gas and oil.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I think we need to add "Made in the USA" stickers to our gas and oil.
A political discussion for new threads...
- Why we import so much crude oil?
- Why no new refineries in the last 30 years?

Back on topic:

Mikieboyblue: Are you going to update your response in post#2 or do you still feel 5W-20 is the factory fill for the Camry Hybrid?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by skoh
Mikieboyblue: Are you going to update your response in post#2 or do you still feel 5W-20 is the factory fill for the Camry Hybrid?
I am waiting for a response back from Toyota.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I am waiting for a response back from Toyota.
The response from Toyota confirmed 0w-20 is the original oil and the original response from Toyota was incorrect (that's concerning).

Dear Mr. Forte:

We apologize for the conflicting information.

The Camry Hybrid is built with 0W-20 oil as it does provide optimal fuel economy. Toyota recommends 5W-20 as a low cost alternative for our customers. Please note: By using 5W-20 oil in the Camry Hybrid your fuel economy may be reduced. Actual fuel economy reduction may vary.

We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file#200811140122.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email by using the following link, http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html, or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM on Saturday.
Sincerely,
Anita M.
Toyota Customer Experience

Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Anyone know a store (box or online) I can get 0W-20 by the case (at a discount?). For the most part, I never even see cases at Pep Boys or Advance Auto. And if I do, it's just however many quarts times the per quart price! I prefer Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1. Thanks guys!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

You can try here for Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20.

http://www.oil-store.com/

They have it for 5.33 qt. (31.99 per case of 6) plus shipping. You might try to get in the good graces of your friendly neighborhood parts store ( I get 10% off on everything now) or find a friend that works at Wally World and have them get an employee discount.

One VERY good option between now and the 31st is to head over to Advanced Auto Parts and have them order several cases of Castrol Syntec 0w-20 for you. It is on sale for 27.99 for 5 quarts INCLUDING a Mobil 1 EP filter. Most places sell this filter for more than $10.00 but even at close out pricing from WALMart, they cost me $7.00. That makes it $4.20 a quart on the oil.

Quick Reply: TCH original oil

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands