transmision oil change for TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default transmision oil change for TCH?

my TCH is over 5500 milages, do I ever need to change transmission oil like regular conventional cars?

I never found it myself when i opened the hood. I did change engine oil when it was 4000 miles. I changed with synthetic oil and it was costly about 90$.

WHat about transmission oil? do TCHs need transmission oild, if so when it needs to be changed?
what about power steering, brake oils?

thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: transmision oil change for TCH?

it's in the owner's manual, but transmission fluid needn't be changed at 5500 miles. refer to the official maintenance schedule in your manual for information

Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 AM

I don't remember seeing any oil change for the hybrid transaxle in the TCH manual.

Just after buying my TCH, I talked with the local toyota tech that works with the hybrids. He told me he had never had any hybrid transaxle problems. Also mentioned the fluid may never need changing. One of the very first prius they had sold has about 235,000 miles and its on the original CVT motor/generator fluid.

The toyota parts man told me it uses a very special fluid thats available only from a toyota dealer.

On a diagram of the 'P311 transaxle' case it looks like the motor/generator is also submerged in oil. Its a non conductive type oil so as not to bother the electric motor. It also has cooling areas within the motor to keep it cool. It uses a separate cooling system from the radiator. It's uses only for the motor and the 550 volt electric inverter.

This is what the tech had told me. I have not looked in the manual yet. I hope to keep the car for about 4 to 5 years. Being retired I don't put many miles on a car like back when I was working.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-14-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have a service contract for my TCH and it shows changing the transmission (which is actually a power-split-device) at 30,000. The only conditions it requires it to be changed more often is in "severe driving conditions" i.e towing, dusty etc. I'm not sure i would let the power split device go 200,000 miles on the same fluid. ??

Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 AM

TRANSAXLE
Fluid capacity (drain and refill), L (qt.,Imp. qt.):3.8 (4.0, 3.3)
Fluid type: Toyota Genuine ATF Type WS Change the transmission fluid only as necessary. Generally, it is necessary to change transmission fluid only if your vehicle is driven under one of the Special Operating Conditions listed in your “Scheduled Maintenance Guide” or “Owner’s Manual Supplement”. When changing the transmission fluid, use only “Toyota Genuine ATF Type WS” (ATF JWS3324 or NWS9638) to aid in assuring optimum transaxle performance.
Notice: Using transmission fluid other than “Toyota Genuine ATF Type WS” may cause deterioration in shift quality, locking up of your transmission accompanied by vibration, and ultimately damage the transmission of your vehicle. Please contact your Toyota dealer for further details.
page 373 of manual

Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 AM

I asked the Hybrid Tech at Toyota Chula Vista this very question. He recommends changing the HSD tansmission oil every 90K miles. I'll most likely have it done (or do it myself) at 60K. Folks that have done oil analysis on Prius transmission oil suggest having it done no later than 60K miles on the Prius. I know the TCH is not a Prius, but the HSD is quite similar in both cars.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmy1
my TCH is over 5500 milages, do I ever need to change transmission oil like regular conventional cars?

I never found it myself when i opened the hood. I did change engine oil when it was 4000 miles. I changed with synthetic oil and it was costly about 90$.

WHat about transmission oil? do TCHs need transmission oild, if so when it needs to be changed?
what about power steering, brake oils?

thanks.
$90 sounds WAY too much for an oil change.

As noted above, Prius owners have analyzed the "transmission" oil and found that it probably should be replaced by 60k miles.

There is no power steering fluid. The system is electric, not hydraulic.

Brake fluid would be like any other car. The only thing is that you need a scantool to change it. The "bleed" process is complex and must be done according to the service manual.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by n8kwx
$90 sounds WAY too much for an oil change.

As noted above, Prius owners have analyzed the "transmission" oil and found that it probably should be replaced by 60k miles.

There is no power steering fluid. The system is electric, not hydraulic.

Brake fluid would be like any other car. The only thing is that you need a scantool to change it. The "bleed" process is complex and must be done according to the service manual.
I think you could change break fluid yourself if you're careful, never letting it fall bellow min level and not letting the air back into the system when draining, but that's something to worry about at 100k or more? My inverter coolant is right at the minimum level and I don't remember if it was that low when new, I hope I don't have a leak but will need to add some soon.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pete4
I think you could change break fluid yourself if you're careful, never letting it fall bellow min level and not letting the air back into the system when draining, but that's something to worry about at 100k or more?
I don't remember the details (they're in the service manual) but over on PriusChat a Toyota mechanic doesn't even trust most other Toyota mechanics to do it right. That's how involved the procedure is!

Topping off the fluid shouldn't be a problem, but the "bleeding" is.