Windshield Stain Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Windshield Stain Help

While my car was parked in a parking garage something dripped on the windshield and left a stain that I can't get out. When you run your hand over the stain it feels the same as the rest of the windshield, in other words, you can't feel it. You can see threw it but it is still noticable. Thankfully it is on the passenger side but I'd still like to get it out. I have tried all the normal cleaners like windex, invisible glass even water and vinegar. I have even tried a very mild abrasive. So far nothing has worked. It's almost like there was a chemical reaction or something that has be absorbed in to the glass. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to them and if so, how you got the stain out without damaging the glass. Thanks, Rick

Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield Stain Help

contact a windshield repair shop, they might know something you can try

Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickkop
While my car was parked in a parking garage something dripped on the windshield and left a stain that I can't get out. When you run your hand over the stain it feels the same as the rest of the windshield, in other words, you can't feel it. You can see threw it but it is still noticable. Thankfully it is on the passenger side but I'd still like to get it out. I have tried all the normal cleaners like windex, invisible glass even water and vinegar. I have even tried a very mild abrasive. So far nothing has worked. It's almost like there was a chemical reaction or something that has be absorbed in to the glass. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to them and if so, how you got the stain out without damaging the glass. Thanks, Rick
Am I guessing it was a "rust" stain? The same thing happened to my toyota 4runner. I had to use a steel wool to remove it.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:06 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Try Jewelers Rouge (Red) some water and a piece of felt to rub it out. It won't scratch the glass or distort the vision area.
Good for minor scratches too. You can get some for a few dollars on Amazon etc.

Last edited by schmidtj; 03-09-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks to all for all the suggestions. I did manage to get the stain out with no damage to the windshield. Someone suggested using this stuff called "Bar Keepers Friend". Don't laugh that is really the name of this stuff. You can get it at the grocery store. It comes in a container like cleanser. It looks like cleanser but it is non abraisive. I made a think paste out of this stuff with water and rubbed what I thought would be too hard for glass. Anyway after I washed it away and cleaner the area with a regular glass cleaner the stain was gone.