HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

tips and mods to make your honda civic hybrid run as should be

Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default pictures up

simple,free, and can be undone,no need to take any other part off putting back on just soap the lips,taking off use a screw driver under the rubber of both side push the middle down.

http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?k...d=280480&page=

Last edited by aqua; 06-28-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default exhaust tail pipe mod

ok 4.99 mod, changing to a 1'' tail pipe ,
I had to rewrite it a couple times. its hard to describe in 3-D direction without any visual, cant draw well ,so read it a few times, then your could get a visual what it look like, put the reducer ring 1/2 ''inside from the tip
this can be undone just use a hammer with a regular screw driver should be able to tap out, you could use reducer real pipes as well, but their a hard take out,and they still need to be clay tune . this way its can still be tuned on the bottom.you should end up with 1/4 left over of any 5 minute clay fillers, glue gray good. walmart
my city average (no freeway) has turned into a steady 44 to 46 mpg.
the better mpg from mods for added torque at and above 20 mph is helping offset the worst stop and go mpg, use to be 34 to a 37 mpg wonderful,
http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?k...=281301&page=1

Last edited by aqua; 06-30-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default pictures up

Last edited by aqua; 06-28-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

instructions to do the exhaust mod is up, included in a picture .
http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?k...=281301&page=1

Old 07-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default venting the main battery pack

doesnt seem to be too hard taking out the battery pack,when the times comes I might try to ship it over to be replace.
take the tire out a screw driver and hammer is all needed to punch out that 2'' plug slight in the center of the tire well,leves a nice clean hole, keep the plug, put a 1/2 block of wood just to let the airflow go under the tire,dont remember if I flip the tire,but its perfect,as hot air rises and its work with that small fan inside the battery pack its can now get fresh air and comes out behind the back seat,should help keeping that sensor from flashing as their 3 sensor looking for heat in that battery pack ,and that might lead the computer to compensate the setting elsewhere
you can see the light trough the plug taken out here tire well.http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?k...=281301&page=1

here this month article solar http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?k...=282016&page=1

Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default mpg- airflow

just finish 3th full tank ,457 miles 12 gal 38.6 , but i was heavy footed wanted to gain back the mpg on the last day tour as my best tankful but gave up 3/4 as got stuck in road construction then a second one, fridays, my first tank full best was 480 miles on 12 gal,and that was really let the traffic go, ,feel I could do a 600 miles now if I had more freeway driving,as this is a city car 70 /30 freeway. but very happy with the 38 mpg and not babying the car.

Iam working on better air flow,its bad ,I haven fully tested today work,tomorrow when I head back to town I should test it at higher speed , but the coasting and better airflow is a worth it mod.
I notice I am a driver by habit alway on the gas, except coasting to the stop lite , to get better mpg I need to take advantage of every slight incline ,

I need to monitor/ reset my trip b every day and watch my slider gage to get more 50 mpg (coasting) added in one day at a time,that will decide trip b average.
this car is interesting fun, and has the gages to monitor your results ,
I try to get pictures posted

Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default airflow closing of airpockets

one thing I didn't want is it to come out looking weird looking ,as it is so visible, I could have used Plexiglas in one piece,but to glue in on will be showing,a guess it would have looked too added on ,also maybe alum. sheets with grill black mesh,but does stand out more so, I used foam .
the two side fog pocket I use 1/2'' black foam, use a shoe box cover template, silicone on backside,
now for the 2 sides of the radiator ,look for a plastic container ,about 1'1/2 the end bottom curve will be the curve into the radiator,look for one that has a sharp side corner,as then it will have a square look or a sharp corner line 1/4'' in from the fender lip.

its 3-D so you have to slowly cut it down to fit,and reverse match it to cut the other side,the top plastic you made gets about 1'' of material to silicone glue on top ,hidden , for the back, the cutout behind the grill get a hot needle hole and hidden wire hold back,
then their no glue side or bottom as its see trough ,

the honda emblem has a hole inside,that also get the foam and hold forward with a hidden wire behind the emblem,

next its the pockets mud flaps, real men don't need mud flaps, out they come,

also brought a slight roundish Plexiglas license plate cover about 8 bucks

all together about 2'1/2 x 2'1/2 of air pocket get eliminated, try holding a plywood that size out the window ,
big different now twice or more rolling power,less time on the gas, car also feel more power,
I also did a gas throttle fix,It came with a sloppy throttle felt like a two part of free play before touching gas, put elec tape pull it around between the outside washer meets the cable end slug,adjust amount of turns then tie it together neatly ,you should not touch the throttle linkage if you starting ,any hang up will mean a open throttle, what Iam doing is outside or after the linkage, washering and adjusting /rigging in the free play.
car still looks normal, can still see the pillars , don't really notice it, that good.

http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?k...=285156&page=1

Last edited by aqua; 07-11-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default gliding

starters first thing if you haven't tried Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner its a noticeable smother running engine http://www.amazon.com/Chevron-Techro...owViewpoints=1

getting total tankful of 40 +mpg if your a city driver will take a different style of driving, its like a game, to keep track ,its has to be broken down into a dally mpg goal.and we watch the slider mpg gage to improve or match your daily goal. we keep trip a as a full tank counter ,and we reset trip b daily to monitor your daily mpg goal.

for me some days I can get 40s in end of town ,others days its highs 30s,the creep at 7mph and below and idling is your worst mpg, this new style also address the issuer of the question, what is the best way to make my ima battery last as long as possible ?
its can to be solve by a logic reasoning. hard braking or fast hard letting off the gas both gives 7 to 10+ charging bars ,we know that fast charging and heat build up hard crystals in the cells in the long run, we know that this style of driving or charging is unconsistence and a up and down of battery charging at continue different starting levels . could in time cause unconsistence battery group charge levels? another thing that kill the battery.

goal......... how to use the computer consistence software to charge the battery,that stay within that 40% to 60 % range and use 4 bars , logic say a set pattern is less stressful and prelong life. how much you use you asst is your choice.

the game, a new word, gliding ,no its not coasting, coasting is your foot completely off the gas or in neutral, gliding is you have let off the gas slightly but you reapplied it lightly as needed (and watching the gage the slider gage) for coasting distance needed, if you totally take your foot (not there yet ) of the gas coasting its hit the switch that turn on the charging (and its charge with too many bars ) and we have a shorter coasting stop. (you could also put it in neutral also but you need to put in back into drive to get auto stop working,) its takes practice but you have kill off the speed and did it getting twice the coasting distance , and also have kept the ima battery from charging 7 to 10 bars
and if you had speed build up this will not hold back traffic, another word is time, how long you were on the gas vs gliding (40 to 120 mpg)
at a stop lite ,its better get up to speed fast using asst and more gas for few seconds then slow and longer. then you can glide here and their always watching the slider to verified

if you drive super slowly 5mph watch the slider bar its getting 20 mpg tap the gas slightly and let go ,every now and then let you dip in that 40 mpg. at stop lights gliding let you dip into some 40 to 120 mpg as putting it into neutral, to subtract from that 20 mpg it took to take off,
practice gliding,but glance at the slider ,you also need to watch way ahead.

Last edited by aqua; 07-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default rims mod

one thing about the hhc 04 rims is that its seems like its half done, empty spaces ,and the spokes point cone inwards vs level or off set outward.I wanted to buy this rims ,anybody?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15-Ho...Q5fAccessories

that a 4 rims set and its fit on the hhc 03 ,but that means you need to buy 4 x15'' tires ,a tire guys gave me the tire size that will keep the 03 tire height the same ,for me including shipping will be about 900.00.
and I think a 15'' spoke has more exposure to chop air flow
sad will look really good ,

so I set out trying to improve the rims, at a hardware store look for a aluminum flat bars 1''1/4 x4' 1/8 thickness ,you could go your own way on size ,
I cut it with sears 20.00 heavy duty sheers,and sand the edge and round the corners ,I want to extend the half way spokes inward ,it leave a tiny gap and we cut a v piece that will continue the spokes ,we will glue in on with 5 minute steel putty that we mix and roll into a ball and smash underneath careful to make it accurate keep the ***** chop same size , no need of a jig here ,keep turning that rims, let it dry,next day we fill the tiny gap on the sides. its done
take your time, tape in on to get the right size you want,I think light blue Plexiglas might have look cool,

again, didn't want it too noticeable,but it does add more detail to the rims and does balance the car bottom half does seems more solid,total cost about 28.00 vs 900.00
first picture with and without
http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?k...=289762&page=1

Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default mpg gldining and platinum battery

some probably seen the platinum battery picture ,yes it fit perfectly and its he best ,
the stats p-5
35/500035
740cca
100rc
http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?auid=291650
you need to cut the sides of the bottom of the plastic tray ,and straighten and enlarge the holes in the across bracket,
car runs stronger still,all of these small mod means a big improvement over stock,
I can gas it fast and glide to the next stop lite.
just finish my 4 tankful, using gliding or just enough gas,
I could have gotten my 600 miles if I used more freeway,but trusted that if I just concentrated on my trip b gliding mpg reset everyday (mostly city driving) ,trip a will be rewarded,
and it payed off ,this morning was planing to take my long country drive and back,so I left with only 2 bars of gas,to finish,
first I dont have the right high mpg stock tires,their two different brands tires ,
and Iam useing e-10 gas,
but still my mods payed off,

44.6 mpg x exactly 3 week and 512.4 miles,
my best tankful and I could go bit further but I seen that no ethanol gas station ,got a tankful let see what happens,
the honda a great car, I can get 70 +mpg hwy but it the stopping and slow crawl mosly that takes away my gain .

http://www.ziddu.com/albumview.php?k...=292545&page=1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tips and mods to make your honda civic hybrid run as should be

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands