HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

10,000 mi. reset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 10,000 mi. reset?

I'm fast approaching the big 10,000 mile mark! I seem to recall from another post (long ago), that the HCHII has another little problem, similar to the famous "62 mile bug." Seems the MPG meters reset at the 10,000 mile mark.

I currently use my "A" meter for measuring each tank... and my "B" meter for mileage since the car was new.

Can someone confirm this 10,000 mile reset? Does it happen with "A", "B" or both?

Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: 10,000 mi. reset?

The trip meters "roll over" at 10,000 because they are only 4 whole number digits. If you reset your trip meter to zero before you hit 10,000 you should not ever notice this. If you are using one of your trip meters for "lifetime" it will roll over at 10,000.....

As far as I know they don't "reset".

I see you have a newer model. It is possible the 2006 behaves differently....

Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: 10,000 mi. reset?

This confused me. I had been using the Trip B meter for lifetime. I was on a vacation when I hit 10,000 miles. Out of the blue the mpg started showing .2 mpg and the miles went from 10,000 to single digits. The Trip A meter was ok - I was using it for the tank. I also had reset the Trip A & B meters at the dealers when I picked up the car. You have to keep good records to maintain the lifetime mpg. I use the GH database as my backup for mileage.

Regards,

Old 08-23-2006, 09:02 AM

For several tanks, I was using the Trip B for the lifetime. I stopped this as it is much more fun to use the Trip B for individual trips--in my opinion. I still keep up with the lifetime display in a spreadsheet. To do this properly, you cannot just average all of the dash readings for each tank. What you need to do is back calculate the number of gallons that the car thinks you used based upon the displayed fuel economy and the number of miles driven (divide miles driven by displayed fuel economy).

This will give you one column which will essentially be display gallons. Your real total number of miles driven divided by the sum of the displayed gallons will give your lifetime average displayed fuel economy. This will be slightly different than your real number of miles driven divided by the real number of gallons used--your calculated fuel economy.

Anyway, I would recommend using one trip odometer for the tank and one for shorter durations. It is much more helpful to obtain good fuel economy. This way, it is much easier to get feedback on your driving style for a particular commute. You can challenge yourself to break an FE record for a given commute.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mr Kite, I use them that exact way, Trip A for individual days or sections of trips for optimization and Trip B for each tank.

After filling up our 4th tank in PA with non RFG/Ethanol gas on Sunday my wife is kicking butt on gas mileage with a displayed average over 55 mpg. Our highest calculated mileage was on our 3rd tank of 48.5 mpg, so she is over 7.5 mpg higher. I am not ready to declare it all due to the gas yet, as the average temperature has been lower so she has used the A/C less and she corrected a driving deficiency part way through the 3rd tank. The car is also still breaking in. It is interesting though as others locally have reported a 5-10mpg difference from RFG/Ethanol gas to normal gas.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by cherokee180c
Mr Kite, I use them that exact way, Trip A for individual days or sections of trips for optimization and Trip B for each tank.

After filling up our 4th tank in PA with non RFG/Ethanol gas on Sunday my wife is kicking butt on gas mileage with a displayed average over 55 mpg. Our highest calculated mileage was on our 3rd tank of 48.5 mpg, so she is over 7.5 mpg higher. I am not ready to declare it all due to the gas yet, as the average temperature has been lower so she has used the A/C less and she corrected a driving deficiency part way through the 3rd tank. The car is also still breaking in. It is interesting though as others locally have reported a 5-10mpg difference from RFG/Ethanol gas to normal gas.
All of my tanks except for one have used the 10% ethanol gas. I could not really detect a difference with the 100% gas.

My wife is starting to drive the car a lot more since she is back off of maternity leave. We swap cars depending on who will be driving the most for the day. She has put more miles on the current tank than I have. She drove 120 miles yesterday at 52mpg. Then she came home, reset the trip odometer, and busted out a 69.4mpg short round trip. She does good when she's not driving in a huge hurry.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:17 AM

Thank you (everyone!) for the info. I had always wished that there was a "C" meter so I could measure the smaller trip segments. Once I hit the 10,000 mi. I'll start using my "B" meter this way. As long as I maintain the numbers here in the website, I'll always have the lifetime mileage recorded somewhere!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

I guess I'll start using my Trip B for segment mpg instead of lifetime!

When I picked up my 06 HCH I took it to show my niece as she has an 04 HCH. She made the comment that she wanted to track her lifetime mileage and mpg with Trip B but her husband reset it accidental after a few thousand miles. Now I can tell her it wouldn't have mattered.

I keep a little blue book in my glove compartment that I record my fill ups in. I also enter my data here and on cleanmpg.com. Maybe I'll start a spreadsheet too!

Mark

Old 10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

My vehicle hit 10,000 miles today, and the 'trip b,' which has never been reset, is still displaying my lifetime average... I wonder how long before me or someone else resets the 'trip b' in error...

I also had the first service completed, L,O,F & Tire Rotation, to the tune of $55.94. Still had 5% oil life remaining. It clicked over to 5% at around 9900 miles. The service was performed an odometer reading of 10,014 miles.

I was kinda looking forward to using the 'trip b' for each tank and 'trip a' for individual commutes...

Old 10-31-2006, 01:36 PM

Don't know why your meter hasn't reset... unless it's just a coincidence that it happens to be displaying the same as what your lifetime average is. I don't believe there is a fifth digit for the miles on the trip meters, so once you hit 10,000... it should be back to 0000.

As long as you're using the green hybrid site to record your mileage (are you???), there's no real reason to tie up trip "b" for lifetime averages.

Since I hit 10,000, I've been using my "b" meter to track short segments and daily rides (trip "a" is still used for tank measurements). Very helpful in finding what helps and hurts MPG on my route!

Quick Reply: 10,000 mi. reset?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands