HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2009 HCH - IMA Recalibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 HCH - IMA Recalibration

Great news! Thanks for posting this info.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KevinsTop
I just had my car flashed with a bunch of new programs by the dealer and my recals went away. I gave the dealer this information I got at this place. so far so good.

ks
Kevin, are you in the US or Canada? I tried to get this flash applied to my car (you will see from my additions to that post) but my dealership was unable to find the updates based on their Canadian Honda part numbers. If you're in the US, do you have any idea what the "part numbers" are for those upgrades? What was your experience at the dealership--were the able to figure out what you were talking about?

Thanks,

Old 06-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Kristian,

I'm in the US and just had the software updates done. I brought the dealer a copy of the latest service bulletin: SAE DTC database update for 2006-2009 HCH and with no questions asked they did just that. The car drives like a whole new car. The battery pack seems to be more robust, holds its charge better and is easier to recharge. I wish I had done this months ago.

You can find a pdf version of the bulletin over at Cleanmpg.com. Just search for the post "Software Updates for 2006 - 2009" in the Honda Civic Hybrid forum. Print it out and take it to your dealer. It shouldn't be a problem.

Jess

Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

The thread Jess is referring to is here

So it looks like these are the recent software updates available based on posts by msantos over at cleanmpg.com:

PGM/FI Update
SAE DTC: U0301
Honda DTC: 195-1

IMA Battery Update
SAE DTC: U0312
Honda DTC: 195-18
Canadian Part# 1K100-RMX-A06 (S/B# 01-084...)

IMA Motor Update
SAE DTC: U0302
Honda DTC: 195-2
Canadian Part# 1K100-RMX-A06 (S/B# 03-002...)

The Service Bulletin posted in the linked thread and attached to this post clearly lists all the new DTCs associated with those updates and does indeed look very helpful to bring along to the dealer. I will bring this to my first oil change; let us know how this goes for you kristian.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
a09-026 - HCH New DTC.pdf (64.6 KB, 801 views)
Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: 2009 HCH - IMA Recalibration

Originally Posted by morgante
The Service Bulletin posted in the linked thread and attached to this post clearly lists all the new DTCs associated with those updates and does indeed look very helpful to bring along to the dealer.
Thanks for snagging this. I had hoped that some of the '09s (including mine) would already have factory-updated software.

Oh well.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

You're welcome.

Our '09s may already have the latest software. But from what msantos has said about how the IMA system behaves after these updates, it sure seems like at least mine doesn't.

Does anyone know how these TSBs get leaked into the wild?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by larryr
The battery packs are cooled by the vents in the rear seat middle - if they get blocked - the packs can overheat and force a regen.

I keep the climate control at 69 and on auto. I have not had regens once I started keeping the car cooler, I have window ventshades and window tinting and crack the windows about a half an inch whenever I park the car and put a shade in the front window.

My 2007 would regen every other day until I did that. I tool it on a long drive ( 20 hours ) and never had a regen after that. My 2009 now has 8400 miles and has not regened once. The autostop cuts on at redlights when the battery gets down to 2 bars. I usually force the charge by putting the transmission to S until I get 5 bars ( about a mile or less ).

What bothers me is the Instantaneous Mileage Display goes to 0 for no reason. I suspect that it has problems when the MPG exceeds 150 for more than a few seconds. Every 8% downhill I encountered on I77 in West Virginia it went to 0. the MPG average was off by over 5 mpg ( too low ). I suspect that the computer thought we were getting 0 mpg instead of 0 gas usage when that happens.
I am still trying to understand under what conditions the Instantaneous Mileage Display shows 0 (No petrol being used, I think) I notice that when the car is travelling down hills or decelerating, the Instantaneous Mileage Display is usually at 0.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Drive-A-Hybrid
I am still trying to understand under what conditions the Instantaneous Mileage Display shows 0 (No petrol being used, I think) I notice that when the car is travelling down hills or decelerating, the Instantaneous Mileage Display is usually at 0.
Here is a thread about it. It is referred to as samba.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...ighlight=samba

I can samba at will if conditions are right. If not just go into a glide and manage the regen. Been playing with fake shift a bit to. HCHII's can be fun to play with.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've never managed to achieve a "Samba" state yet, though I have noticed the iFCD sometimes behaving strangely when I'm light on the throttle and just before the point where the car would enter glide mode.

I remember reading that some HCH models (maybe HCH I) will display 0 on the iFCD whenever no fuel is being consumed, either in glide mode when the ICE is idling the cylinders or at auto-stop. On my car, and what I assume is normal for HCH II, the iFCD will peg at 100 when in glide and display "nothing" at auto-stop (no bar at the 0 mark).

Technically, when no fuel is being consumed and you're in motion, your instantaneous mileage is undefined because you're traveling X miles per 0 gallons of gas (division by zero). Honda seems to interpret this as either a maxed-out gauge or an empty one, depending on the model.

Now, everything above assumes fuel economy is measured in miles per gallon. If the measurement is in liters per 100km, then the 0 reading on the iFCD whenever no fuel is consumed makes sense.

Last edited by morgante; 06-05-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Thinking of Canadians and Europeans
Old 06-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

The Samba is achieved by letting up on the gas so much so that you're not quite in EV Glide yet, but if you let up on it a fraction more, you will be. You're still burning gas, but not as much. Those that have Scangauges have shown mpgs from the 100s to 200mpgs when the iFCD is at 0. Once you nail how to do it, you can achieve it a will. I do it all the time on my commute and I try to use it when I don't have the opportunity to EV Glide. This is the next best thing. Just another one of those little characteristics of the car that help you achieve amazing mileage.

Jess

Quick Reply: 2009 HCH - IMA Recalibration

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands