HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Extended Warranty worth it? Anyone else purchase it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Extended Warranty worth it? Anyone else purchase it?

Hello,

I have a deposit on a hybrid. I have had a lot of cars and have never purchased the extended warranty. I thought it might be nice to have since people kind of freak when it comes to engine shut off battery (thinking of resale). I have had many other Hondas and haven't had any major issues...

Honda gave me a few numbers: are these negotable - I've heard of other companies offering ext. warr too - any good ones I should look into?

6 yr. $1175 $100 deductable
7 yr. $1400 $100 deductable
8 yr. 120k $1500 $100 deductable

Can others give me your experience w/ ext. warranty?

thanks in advance!
Todd

Old 10-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Extended Warranty worth it? Anyone else purchase it?

I've gotta say, I just don't think it's worth it.

You've already got:
3 yr / 36k bumper-to-bumber
5 yr / 60k powertrain
8 yr / 100k hybrid component.

Are you worried about the power windows going out? It a freakin' Honda! The only thing I would be slightly worried about is the CVT, but I have nothing to base that on.

And as far as resale goes, you'll never recoup the cost.

As far as better places to get those warranties. There is a website mentioned several times here as having the lowest cost. Try a search for it.

Lastly, how can you predict what the car situation will be like eight years from now. Do you keep cars that long? Will it be totalled? With hydrogen cars make your obsolete?

I say save your money.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

I agree, again, for resale... for those who have doubts about hybrid tech. seems like the transferable warranty may be an asset. So for those who have sold - I guess any car - but preferably a hybrid - was that a selling point?

I don't usually keep cars too long, however we still have our 01 Honda Odyssey - only 1 issue after we got it (fuel line leak - fixed), that has been the only thing wrong.

thanks again!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

Saccucci Honda has the best warranty. Includes oil changes.

www.saccucci.com
It is the same warranty as sold by Honda dealers.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cawfebug
... for those who have doubts about hybrid tech. seems like the transferable warranty may be an asset...
From what you listed you can't extend the warranty on the hybrid tech. It's already at eight years. You could spend $1500 for an extra 20k, but...

Trust your instincts Sywalker...

Old 10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

Negative, didnt see the need.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

I went for a 6 yr., 120K. All it takes is a puter problem down the road and you'd eat up the cost and then some quite easily. Seems like cheap insurance as I intend to keep the car till '11 or so

Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's worth it if you end up needing it, and not worth it if you don't. Roll the dice...

Old 10-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Energy Independence

I bought the 8yr, 120K plan from Sacucci for $980. You can pay it out in installments with a VISA or Mastercard (12 monthly installments) with no interest. That's what I'm doing, and it is pretty painless. ($80 a month or so).

Of course, I DO plan on keeping this car a long time. I'm covered 'til June 2014

At around 80K, lots of cars start being a little needy. Admittedly, some more than others. Just one occurrence is likely to pay for the warranty - and in the meantime I sleep better.

It's probably a minor issue, anyway, as I do NOT anticipate major issues. But now I KNOW my CVT & hybrid battery & electronics are good-to-go for 120K miles.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I bought the 8 year Honda Warranty. I hope my car holds up so well that I never have to use it.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty worth it? Anyone else purchase it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands