HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How many miles on your original HCH-II IMA battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How many miles on your original HCH-II IMA battery?

108525 kms (67,434 miles) bought new 05 Apr 2007.
Software update 2 months ago seems to have stopped a slow degradation of my battery performance.

However, I suspect I'll employ the DIY battery 're-freshening' that is discussed elsewhere in this site once my battery warranty period is up (in Canada, at 130000 kms (80778 miles))

Old 11-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast

my 2008 hch has 325000 miles original battery no problems as of yet

Old 11-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
my 2008 hch has 325000 miles original battery no problems as of yet
Gee, you are indeed a road-warrior! You really drive ~75,000 miles a year?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

My 2006 HCH II is about to hit the 140,000 mile mark and I've not had a battery problem. Yesterday the "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" came on, followed by the "IMA System Indicator". The IMA light went out within a few minutes and the Malfunction Indicator Lamp did not come back on at the end of the day. However, my battery charge, which normally is 1 bar from maximum, was at the lowest 2 bars for the first 5 minutes of my drive before spiking up to the 1 bar below max. I'm taking her in for a look-see tomorrow morning.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

However, my battery charge, which normally is 1 bar from maximum
That tells me you have not had the 'software update' (?) yet.

If your IMA light is not on and you did not have the update, the dealer will probably try the update first.

Once the software update is done, that SOC meter usually sits at about 5 boxes showing (i.e. half full) and the amount of assist around town (light acceleration) is much reduced.

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AJR
I was going to give my 2007 HCH to my daughter as she turns 16 in August, then buy myself another HCH. But at this point I feel she would not be safe in the vehicle, especially when it wants to do it's "no assist" when trying to turn across a 3 lane road and you have no power, even though the SoC shows 5 or 6 bars!
Truer words have never been spoken. When that forced recharge / no power starts at the wrong time it is scary -- I know to just floor and let that lawnmower engine take over.

If you follow the threads it seems like HCH-II results are:

1) People with long highway commutes don't have problems with the battery -- no surprise because it is rarely used.

2) People with stop and go commutes in hot places are screwed -- the battery cannot stay adequately charged.

3) People in cold areas with short commutes are screwed because the system can never charge the battery or maintain it.

4) This car is horrible in the snow.

I am selling mine and replaced it with a good old Subi-Outback. With the CVT/4Cyl you get a PZEV vehicle built in the cleanest car manufacturing facility in the world. It averages 27 MPG is much more versatile, and since my battery is crap -- I am only getting 35MPG on the Civic -- not that much of a difference.

This is just a bad car. At least I bought the Honda care warranty online and live in a state where the Hybrid system has the 10 year 150K warranty, so the next owner won't have to pay for the next 3 or 4 battery replacements.

For those of you interested in Hybrid's -- note that the Toyota, Nissan, and Ford systems do not have this problem. They can properly maintain and condition the batteries in all circumstances.

Also note that te failing IMA battery will start killing the regular battery which isn't covered under warranty. What they don't tell you if your electric steering ever cuts out (happened to me a few times) -- this may be because of the 12V battery.

Stay away from this car! I am pretty shocked that NTHSB has not forced a recall. Also, all the SW updates do is mask the failing batteries and cause forced recharge sooner (an unsafe condition). We own other honda cars and motorcycles and I am shocked that Honda has not stepped up to own this problem.

MW

Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doberwiler
Stay away from this car! I am pretty shocked that NTHSB has not forced a recall. Also, all the SW updates do is mask the failing batteries and cause forced recharge sooner (an unsafe condition).
Do you mean NHTSA?

In order for it to be a recall, it must meet the criteria at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm. Just because it sucks, is costly to replace, is unreliable, etc. doesn't mean recall.

I wonder if there are any HCHs on their original HV batteries with more miles than these Priuses?

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...ml#post1439283 (451K miles on an 09 Prius, at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...ml#post1409391, he stated at 429K he was still on the original HV battery).
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome (new HV battery needed at 700K km or ~434K miles)

Last edited by cwerdna; 12-28-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is one on this page with 325,000 .[Bernball] So they can last! Not a good track record over all how-ever! H

Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Enthusiast

I just got my IMA battery replaced at roughly 88000 mi in my HCH II. Here's my fun story.

Crappy recal behavior and unsafe forced regen for at least a year, but finally the IMA and CEL lights came on around 87000 mi. Very promptly took a picture with my cell phone. The next time I started the car, just the CEL light was on. Promptly drove over to Advance Auto Parts and borrowed a code reader. Grabbed the P0A7F code which means that the hybrid battery pack needs replacing. Took another cell phone picture with the mileage of the car, lights on, and the code reader all together.

Went on my first dealer visit, where they did a few software updates (including the one where Honda sent out a letter in '09) and told me to try it. Within an hour after leaving the dealership, IMA and CEL lights came on again. Seemed like forced regen was happening faster and recharge was happening faster, but SoC was all over the place in stop and go, over even 30-45mph around-town driving.

Brought even more pics and car back to the dealer -- dealer confirmed that a new IMA battery was needed, even though the new software seems to turn off both IMA and CEL after a few engine starts. And thanks to my service advisor, he was able to hook me up with a new IMA Battery out of Honda Goodwill. I was really surprised since I never took my Honda there for service (except for one time for 50K service). IMA battery was special ordered and installed a few days later.

So I guess the moral of the story if you want your IMA battery replaced:
- Take tons of pictures of the IMA/CEL lights and current mileage when it happens with your cell phone as 'proof' for the dealer.
- If you can take a picture with a code reader attached to your car showing the 'deteriorating hybrid battery pack' code, do it! You can borrow one for free from most auto parts stores like Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, etc.
- If the IMA/CEL lights come on while you're driving the car, ideal situation is to drive to a place with a code reader, and have the codes read WITHOUT turning the engine off... and take lots of pictures with the lights that are on, the current mileage, and the code reader screen, hopefully all in the same frame!
- I've found restarting the car will turn off the IMA light or sometimes even BOTH lights, and it could take a few days to make them reappear!

Old 12-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

So I guess the moral of the story if you want your IMA battery replaced:
- Take tons of pictures of the IMA/CEL lights and current mileage when it happens with your cell phone as 'proof' for the dealer.
- If you can take a picture with a code reader attached to your car showing the 'deteriorating hybrid battery pack' code, do it! You can borrow one for free from most auto parts stores like Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, etc.
- If the IMA/CEL lights come on while you're driving the car, ideal situation is to drive to a place with a code reader, and have the codes read WITHOUT turning the engine off... and take lots of pictures with the lights that are on, the current mileage, and the code reader screen, hopefully all in the same frame!
- I've found restarting the car will turn off the IMA light or sometimes even BOTH lights, and it could take a few days to make them reappear!
Reedog117, thanks for the check-list.

I'm in month 2 of my adventure to get a new battery. My first "show and tell" visit to my service guy will be in 2 weeks (no IMA light (yet)).

I'm mulling over buying a Scan Gauge II reader, plus having my camera available at all times while driving.

I know if my IMA light goes on, I will not turn the car off until I either have photos and/or I drive directly to the dealer..........

Quick Reply: How many miles on your original HCH-II IMA battery?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands