HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

IMA Battery Warranty Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 AM
mpk
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Battery Warranty Replacement

Originally Posted by Nate
My 2006 with almost 60k has been going to almost constant recals. Over the course of a 10 mile drive the SOC will fluctuate full to empty 2 or 3 times. I can have full charge showing when I turn the car off, and 30 minutes later when I turn it on, it will be at 2 bars.

I had the software updates a while ago. I have not seen an IMA or Check Engine light come on. I plan on mentioning the constant recals when I take the car in for normal service.
A full charge dissipating in only 30 minutes suggests self discharge. In the old days of NiCd, these were caused by internal shorts between the layers. Is it the same for NiMH? In any case, a defective battery pack IMO-- the battery is a bucket with holes in it. So the car is constantly trying to charge the battery, which is futile. This results of crappy gas mileage, as many have reported.

The original firmware recognized a problem. Honda's fix? Don't replace the battery, just silence the light! Install a pollyanna version of the firmware that never seems to acknowledge *anything* as a problem.

We're all stuck between a rock and a hard place. Now that Honda

- successfully overturned the small claims lawsuit
- settled the class action suit (you guessed it- chicken feed for the victims, steak for the lawyers)

they're probably even more emboldened. It's not looking good, folks

Last edited by mpk; 07-05-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

The Honda manufactures still uses the IMA program, but it went through a few improvements that are discovered in the latest model. It has an Integrated Motor Assist system wherein the fuel engine prevents and power supply works in place of it.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 AM
04 prius 350,000km

so i guess after reading this thread a hch II for 7k CAD (120k miles) is a bad deal? i guess a 5 minute test drive can't tell me the state of the battery can it?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

2006 HCH 79k miles. From reading posts I knew (gratefully before the warranty was up) that the IMA was on its last legs when it starting going up and down frequently. Within a week the IMA light went on, dealer exchanged battery, that was it. Last Honda for me. My dealer said warranty was 3 yrs 36k on the new battery. That sound right? I figure I have about 2 yrs 11 months or 35k miles to trade it in.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpk

We're all stuck between a rock and a hard place. Now that Honda

- successfully overturned the small claims lawsuit
- settled the class action suit (you guessed it- chicken feed for the victims, steak for the lawyers)

they're probably even more emboldened. It's not looking good, folks
If it weren't for the lawyers there would be no class action suits, and with no class action, you're powerless against a company that can outspend you on legal fees, and the poor are stuck. The class action does not prevent you from taking your own case to court (assuming you didn't collect).

Also, the class action extended the warranties 12,000 miles for car models 2006 to 2008, which includes my car and I was 2,000 past the warranty otherwise. I'm not sure what was "overturned". I just got my battery replaced for free, which Honda was quoting at $4500. I'd call that steak for me.

Thank you trial lawyers.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

When you got your new battery, what was the stated warranty?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

They didn't say, and I didn't think to ask.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

It has some bearing on how long I keep this car. $3 k replacement with a 1 yr/12k miles warranty means my car is worth either $5 k trade in (if the battery is working) vs no value (IMA bad, off warranty)....

Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

I just posted this elsewhere in the forum, but wanted to spread the word that in states with CA emissions, the IMA warranty is now 11y/170,100 miles. I hadn't been able to come up with that information anywhere, but was informed by Honda Corporate tonight. Hopefully everything with my IMA replacement goes smoothly, but for now I'm quite relieved.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChicagoHCHII
I just received updated settlement forms from the class action lawsuits brought against Honda.

For 2003-2009 purchasers of an HCH they offer a $100 cash refund plus either $500 (transferrable) or $1,000 (non-transferrable) towards purchase of a new Honda.

For 2006-2008 specifically they offer an additional $100 cash refund plus extension of the IMA battery warranty by 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes sooner. So 92k miles on the IMA battery or 9 years.

Mine is 4.5 years old and only 27k miles logged so far and no issues with the IMA yet, but it is comforting to know I've got another 4.5 years or 65k miles left on this thing.
So, what every became of the settlement, how does an 06-08 owner take advantage of the warranty extension? Is it automatic, like all honda dealers follow such now?

Quick Reply: IMA Battery Warranty Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands