HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My dealer updated my PCM Software

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My dealer updated my PCM Software

I have some updates on that post from last week:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post212275

a) It's not clear to me what updates my service center applied to the new PCM, and what version of firmware the new PCM comes with. The service center has refused to give me those details

b) My city mpg has been around 35-37, down from 46-52mpg.

c) Still no freakin' auto-stop. Have driven 250+ miles since the service. I guessed right that the service center's idea of "PCM needing to learn" is BS.

I am guessing they forgot to enable auto-stop OR they did not do the idle-learning correctly because when I come to 7 mph, the RPM goes down to 400 rpm for a split-second before going up to 1200, and then settling at the usual idling speed.

Has anyone else experienced any of this?

It might be time for me to take the care to another service center (50+ miles away is the closest ) ... and perhaps call Honda as well.

Cheers,
-ag

Old 10-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

PS: I think i have figured out the regen problem. Honda appears to have changed their setting so regen kicks in only after the RPM goes above 1400 or so ... and when I coast, the car gently increases the RPM to around 1400 before regen kicks in. And if I don't give it enough time for it get to 1400 then it gives me no regen, and the car behaves like a normal car with ABS brakes Not a good scenario, gven I try to stay close to 1100 rpm most of the time when I drive.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hey folks, my car is back to normal!

I took my car back in mid-last-week, and explained the exact behavior I was noticing (https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post212670). I recommended they try the various learning processes again, and they did.

Following a re-learn of the Auto-start release clutch learning process, the car seems to have gone back to its original behavior. The regen happens a few split seconds after I let go of the gas pedal, and the mpg is back to where it used to be.

Hope no one has to go through this much hassle but if you do, then you have a data point here as to what could be wrong.

Cheers,
-ag

Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

Good Morning All,
I really need to vent in how disappointed I am with Honda Motor Company and my 06 Civic Hybrid. I have been in the automotive industry and employed by a domestic manufacturer in the technical end of things for over thirty years and I have never been so frustrated with the lack of lack of customer service and product reliability by the once almighty and powerful Honda Corporation.

The only reason we purchased this automobile is so my wife that I love dearly could drive in the rideshare lane by herself to and from work on the busy Southern California freeways. Of course the mileage helps with gas at the price it is at but that is secondary. About 1 1/2 years into our ownership my wife had concerns about a lack of power, low battery state, and forced regens. This was going on during the hot socal summer and I started working with my dealer on this concern but I was advised all is normal.

To make a long story short and after many dealer visits we are at the 3 1/2 year ownership point. I have bought my wife a Escape Hybrid to drive because I do not feel safe or confident with her in the Civic trying to drive on the freeway and losing the battery, you might as well be driving in deep sand, very unsafe! I have had all the updates, patches, reflashes done and the car is still miserable to drive. I did meet with the Honda Parts and Service Director for our area to voice my concerns and he listened to my concerns and said all we need is a IMA light to come on and we could replace the IMA battery, sweet!

We left for a trip to Arizona last week and the Honda sat all week as we took our Escape on the trip. When we arrived home I jumped in the Honda to go to the grocery store and as usual instead of using the IMA motor to start the engine the standard starter cranked her over and the engine started but to my great surprise the IMA light came on! I was never so happy to see a light come on. I plugged in my scan tool and pulled a P0A7F "IMA Battery Deterioration" and went to the dealer right away praying the light would stay on which it did. The dealer took it in and to my surprise I recieved a call later in the day that Honda would not replace my battery but install another patch and give that a try.......

I picked up the vehicle the next day and lost all battery power within 1 mile of the dealer and the vehicle performed a regen. It also still uses the standard starter motor to start the engine. I let the dealer know and they said nothing can be done unless the IMA light comes back on.

Sorry again for the long letter but it has been a long 3 1/2 years and 33 thousand miles of ownership of a vehicle that was produced by a once great manufacturer. I have owned many previous Honda's over the years and stil have 3 Honda motorcycle's. It appears there are many other folks in the same boat as I am.
Have a Merry Christmas, Jack

Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jeb, there is no need to post your same story under every thread on this board. We read it the first time ok?