HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

TSB 08-014 Harsh Transmission Engagement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default TSB 08-014 Harsh Transmission Engagement

Ok so my car does this thing about 1-2 times per week where it feels like it surges/lunges forward when I'm slowing down (ie coming to a stop). It also, from time to time, feels like it "kicks" when I'm coming out of a stop. It seems to me (non-automotive person) that both of these issues might have to do with the transmission. I happened to find this TSB which sounds similar to the issue I'm having, except my car is not within the VIN range they have provided. Has anyone else has this problem? Or has anyone had their car fixed per TSB 08-014?

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-014.pdf

Old 04-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TSB 08-014 Harsh Transmission Engagement

Yep, take a look at this thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...76/index5.html
Had it done Saturday, it has improved the thump greatly, in fact, It has smothed out the transition from gas to electric & back not only at a stop but while dirving along at 30 or so mph... tell your dealer you are having harsh engagement problems, take the TSB with you.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

My car is a 2008 and does not fall within the VIN range on the TSB... Theoretically, since my car isn't listed on there, it should have the latest software, and should not be having these problems, right?

Old 04-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

After driving a few days with this software flash, I am very impressed, most of the time 90% I can't even feel it go into autostop, nor can I feel it go back into IMA mode. When I can feel it, it is a very slight movement kind of like a normal automatic shifting into overdrive so, yes very slight.

The car seems smoother overall (how does one quantify that) but the lugging feeling while the engine is running below 7 mph, gone! thumps as it goes in and out of autostop, gone!!, thumps when it goes in and out of ev mode during a coast, yes gone!!!.

Mine is a 2007 and is listed on the TSB, when I asked about it, the dealer said there were no TSB's for my car, I produced the TSB and they fixed it. If you have a 2007 even a 2008 not listed on the TSB, complain about it, take the TSB with you, if they won't take care of it, call American Honda, tell them what you want and why...even if you have to pay a couple hundred out of your pocket to get this done it is worth is.

I suppose, if your existing software is newer than this (some 2008's) it would not make sense & you have some other issue but if your firmware is older than this TSB it is worth raising a rucus for.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Energy Independence

I had my car in for a new O2 sensor in March 2009.

They listed ECM/PCM - REPROGRAM as part of the service, and then listed 6 (yes, 6) service bulletin #s (the comments in parens are mine):
05-019 (MIL Comes On With DTC P2647)
05-037 (MIL Comes On With DTC P2647)
07-017 (ECM Update to Prevent Momentary Engine Stall During Gear Shifts)
07-051 (AC Cooling Is Poor; Condenser and Radiator Fans)
07-057 (Low Power During Acceleration)
08-060 (Engagement of 1st Gear Is Delayed After Shifting Through N to D)

Note 2 things:
(1) No mention of 08-014. Maybe (actually, I suspect) 08-060 contains it and more newer stuff too.

(2) Many updates (if you read the service bulletins) do not list the Civic Hybrid (or even the Civic) as affected vehicles. I wonder what this means? Maybe the ECM/PCM Reprogram process just goes through all the software upgrades and selects the ones that do apply. Anyone else see this kind of oddity on their receipts?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: TSB 08-014 Harsh Transmission Engagement

Does anyone know if there is an UPDATE to this service bulletin that would include 2009 VINs? Thanks!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Aspiring Hypermiler

My one and only disappointment in the performance of the hybrid powertrain in the HCH II has been the harsh transmission engagement in conjunction with the Autostop feature. I thought I'd alway have to live with that seat of the pants sensation that the car would buck and lurch at low speeds. No, that was not the worst thing the car could do, but it was a problem that I would have thought Honda could have solved for before the HCH II was launched. Well apparently Honda solved the problem through an update of the software which governs the PCM (power control unit). The owners of older HCH IIs that were built with the older version of the PCM software, including my 2007 HCH II, can now get the updated version of the software installed through the TSB 08-014.

This week I had my dealer perform the 20 minute procedure to "flash the PCM" on my HCH during my visit for an oil change. Wow! The former problem, as described above, is solved.

I have one suggestion for owners of newer HCHs, including 2008 - 2010 models. Ask yourself if you HCH exhibits the same harsh transmission issue described here. In all likelihood, your vehicle was build with the latest PCM software, and you probably don't need this update. I'll invoke the old cliche, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: TSB 08-014 Harsh Transmission Engagement

Originally Posted by sdgarber
Ask yourself if you HCH exhibits the same harsh transmission issue described here. In all likelihood, your vehicle was build with the latest PCM software, and you probably don't need this update.
Although my only experience is with my '09, I have never noticed anything I could characterize as jerkiness (except for the driver). Will assume that all updates are in effect, thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

I do not understand why dealers make it so hard to get these TSB's serviced. I have had a heck of a time in Minneapolis MN (Hopkins Honda) to get them to do these (Negative Camber and now this one). Ever since I have purchased my 2007 HCHII, I have absolutely detested only two things about the car. The jerky transmission after exiting Auto-Stop, and the lack of a moon roof. (I could get over the moon roof)

Today, I have just spent 5 hours at the dealership asking them to put on my summer tires and update the TSB 08-014. I chose the dealer for the summer tire issue JUST so I could also get this done. When then finally came to tell me they were complete, (4 1/2 hours later) their answer was they could not duplicate the problem, so they were not planning on doing anything with the update around the TSB.

I have followed everyone's advice on how to get dealer to do this, as in I had already produced the TSB, described the symptoms, argued with the service tech, and turns out the only thing that got them to do it was me asking if I could drive the car with the tech in the vehicle to try to reproduce the issue. I am sure they knew I would be able to reproduce the issue, causing them to just do the fix.

I will post what happens with the car after update, however, a serious question I have is to anyone in the Minneapolis area. What dealer do you go to, and are they better than Hopkins about things like this? Turns out, I'd like to just get the service, and not mess around with all of this extra garbage.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Pale Driver

The dealer I dealt with for this TSB also was reluctant to do the fix because they couldn't seem to duplicate the problem. The tech had to drive it twice before he deduced the issue even though he knew of the TSB. In the end (3 hours service time to just do a PCM flash), the fix was made.

Quick Reply: TSB 08-014 Harsh Transmission Engagement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands