Two questions/problems with my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Two questions/problems with my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

First, I can't find any dealer willing to install a roof rack on the Tahoe. Has anyone had any luck? We are a family of skiers so we really need the rack.

Second, engine (not hybrid) battery dies quickly if you sit listening to the radio for over 30 min. Not sure why this is. Dealer couln't find anything. it appears the climate controls and other accessories work off the engine battery alone? Would I be better off leaving the key on in this situation?

Oops, let me add a third: Fan noise. Anyone have a loud hybrid battery fan? It only seems to kick in when driving long periods in HOT weather, so I haven't heard it for months, but it is annoying since it is in the cab.

Last edited by willywaxer; 12-04-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Two questions/problems with my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

I also killed my 12v battery the other day just playing the radio. I actually thought it should have laster alot longer. It wouldn't start because of it.

Next time I think I will just leave it running. The ICE will start when needed.

I can hear the fan sometimes. But I don't think its that loud. But it hasn't been very hot here.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

1. Haven't tried to find a roof rack, but use a swinging hitch-mount bike rack. I think I've seen similar hitch-mounts for skis. I just put our skis in the back, but there are only 4 of us, so I fold the 3rd row up.

2. 12v Battery - the dealer warned me about this when I got mine; they were playing with the NAV and drained it (on the demonstrator, not mine). I just leave the car on and turn off the air when we're sitting and I'm listening to the radio or rare occasions of letting the kids watch a movie. ICE turns on occasionally, but not for long.

3. Fan - I heard it some this summer, but it wasn't very loud. Noise level is similar to the fan on my Prius. There is also a little fan just above your head in the headliner used to draw air in for adjusting the temperature. I hear it sometimes too.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, we have a swinging hitch rack for our bikes, but I don't like the way it interferes with the backup camera and for skiing, it would make it cumbersome to get to the cargo area where we have our boots, poles and such. I would much rather have a roof rack. I'm still unclear whether the reason for dealers refusing to install roof racks on the Hybrid is structurally related or if it is just aerodynamics. I searched the web for this and found one other post where a guy experienced the same thing with his hybrid and dealer.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Will,

You may have to go to an aftermarket trailer hitch/SUV accessory place to get your roof rack. Find a place that does sun-roofs, running boards, brush guards, etc. and surely they will have options for roof racks.

The official reason for the lack of roof rack is aerodynamics and weight. If it was structural, there would be a roll-over safety issue too. Of all the changes for weight, GM never lists changing the upper body/roof. Plus, the Escalade 2-mode has a roof rack.

Here in Dallas, the dealers even often use a well known locally owned aftermarket installer. Skip the dealer up-charge and go directly to the source.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, I didn't know about the Escalade. Also, what you say about rollover makes some sense, but they could have just eliminated minor backing plates to save weight and left them in for the Caddy. I wish there was more info from GM on this. I'd hate to have a secondary shop drill holes then find no meat to attach to.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

I suggest that you install the Escalade roof rack. I surely will fit since the vehicles are structurally the same.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

OK, so I found out from another Tahoe Hybrid owner that they installed the standard GM roof rack for the Tahoe without any modifications. I considered it, but then ended up going with the Yakima hitch bike rack with the ski/snowboard attachment. This way I can use it in the summer for bikes too and it's a lot easier to access the skis. It has a one button release to swing down for rear cargo access so it isn't too inconvenient. I still have to remember to take the attachment off and fold the arms in to be able to close the garage door. The only real issue is that this SUV seems to kick up WAY more road dirt/snow than my previous Landcruiser did. I think this is because the Toyota had a rear wind deflector that washed air over the rear window, keeping it relatively clean. With the Tahoe, the skis get pretty dirty back there.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

We have a Yakima box with cross bars and clips that stores by hanging it from the garage ceiling exactly as it would ride on the vehicle - that was an 07 Civic. Without having the bars or rack on the roof of my vehicle, it was aerodynamically clean and when needed, it's not that diffcult to slip on.

Last edited by ozarkgolfer; 12-30-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Proud to be GM

Guys,

Before you go too far with installing racks on Tahoes, let me find out if the roof panel is one of the panels that was switched from steel to aluminum for weight savings. If so, you may not be doing yourselves any favors here.

I know that the PRIMARY reason for making the roof rack not available for the hybrid is the impact of aerodynamics. Even as an option, EPA would have required factoring it into the FE estimate calculations and it is a big hitter.

The Escalade is not within the EPA regulated fleet, so there were fewer changes made to it, therefore, the roof rack is included. My sources for info on the roof are on vacation (as am I) until the first week of January, but I will check into it for you.

Martin

Quick Reply: Two questions/problems with my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands