Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Fancy Parking

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Talking Fancy Parking

http://fancyparking.com/

OK, you say to yourself, there is this single link in a post and nothing else to go with it (err..). Who does he think he is telling us what to look at and not respecting us enough to give us a description first? The last time I did that I got conspiracy theories, death and destruction in a feature-length film. Why, God, why, must people always waste my time, like I'm some poor lab rat?

First of all... Settle down! Then, fear not! For what I have bestowed upon you, above, is a key to an awareness of something we do all the time but didn't have a name for. It is really lighthearted and I hope you can find the time to explore all the parts of that site. It'll take maybe 10 minutes, tops.

(With apologies to Curt, for being a jerk at his expense. It's done in jest and it's not personal)

Old 11-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fancy Parking

Fancy parking does not work in narrow, angled parking lots. You end up driving out the wrong way, getting stuck with another car going the right way, then having to back all the way out. Just a warning for those of you who have never tried this.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Fancy parking does not work in narrow, angled parking lots. You end up driving out the wrong way, getting stuck with another car going the right way, then having to back all the way out. Just a warning for those of you who have never tried this.
That's one of the few times it doesn't work well. Otherwise, it's safer, as discussed here. Although I think I'd avoid some of the (presumably tongue-in-cheek) methods described in Spinner's link. But then it's hard to tell whether the entire site is designed to be satirical.

Last edited by JimboK; 11-26-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Fancy parking does not work in narrow, angled parking lots.
Angled parking lots seem quaint and bring back memories of a more carefree age, but I promise you that they are the Devil's work! They will seduce you with the ease of front-forward parking only to blind you with a wall of B- & C-pillars and "no peeping" tinted windows. You're 50% more likely to back into something with angled parking.

But life is not about finding problems, it is about finding solutions. Fancy Parking is more than a technique, it's a lifestyle. So, choose a more compatible parking lot.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you guys ever venture to europe and park in a underground lot for mall parking... you will quickly learn that you have to "fancy park". The reason, you will have a heck of a time getting out when you leave. The lots are so narrow that backing out is very difficult... while backing into your spot is very easy and thus allowing you to leave very easily.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Old Boomer Techie

I am disappointed that no section exists for 'parallel' fancy parking. After all, that is where the really good video clips would be found.