TCH going up steep inclines...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default TCH going up steep inclines...

How does the TCH handle steep inclines while using cruise control? Does the TCH lose speed while going up steep inclines when using cruise control or does it keep its current speed.? For those that answer I'm also curious to know how many people were in the car when going up the incline? I was able to test drive a TCH but I wasn’t able to take it to an area that would allow me to answer my question…Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: TCH going up steep inclines...

I've had 5 adult men in mine and it both maintains speed as well as accelerates up some pretty steep (20%+ grades) roads.. The CVT transmission makes this car seem like it has a lot more torque than you would have thought.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:17 PM

Just fine.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 PM

Good to hear this wont be an issue. I'm torn between the TCH and the Camry XLE V6. I'm leaning towards the TCH because of the savings in fuel cost. I'm also leaning towards the TCH because of the flaring and transmission problems with the V6. My only real concern with the TCH is the wear and tear on the ICE (as mentioned in my other thread). Decisions...Decisions.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: TCH going up steep inclines...

Originally Posted by tnsig
Good to hear this wont be an issue. I'm torn between the TCH and the Camry XLE V6. I'm leaning towards the TCH because of the savings in fuel cost. I'm also leaning towards the TCH because of the flaring and transmission problems with the V6. My only real concern with the TCH is the wear and tear on the ICE (as mentioned in my other thread). Decisions...Decisions.

Don't worry about the wear and tear on the ICE.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by tnsig
I was considering the V6, but found the TCH has more than enough power with 25% better FE.

I have a coworker that has a 2007 SE V6, and he has never complained about his car acting wierd at all, and he complains about everything.

Why would the TCH's ICE wear worse than a normal Camry's ICE? If anything I would think it would wear less. It runs at considerably lower RPM almost all the time, it does not run while idling, and does not run 50% of the time under 45 MPH. I would think the ICE in a TCH will last much longer than a non hybrid ICE.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:02 AM

My mom has an 07 XLE V6. It is very fast but sucks the gas. She gets 21 in town and 28-30 on the HWY. I mostly drive in town so that made my mind up on the TCH. I like the smoothness of the TCH.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

My '07 TCH's engine rev's higher on steep inclines than my '07 XLE-V6.
So did my '04 Prius. The TCH rev's less than the Prius but it still revs on inclines.
I tend to disengage the cruise control on the TCH in hilly areas and manage the conservation of momentum by foot. eg. accelerate on down hills and slow up a bit on upslopes if it's doesn't cause problems with other traffic.
Be advised, if you end up on an upslope that the ICE can not negotiate on it's own (without battery assist) you could find yourself in a bit of a bind if the traction battery becomes depleted. This situation might be rare but could happen. Just be advised.
I've also noticed that at slow speeds (<15 mph) I can negotiate very steep >20% inclines on battery power alone. Kind of an interesting experience.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Be advised, if you end up on an upslope that the ICE can not negotiate on it's own (without battery assist) you could find yourself in a bit of a bind if the traction battery becomes depleted. This situation might be rare but could happen. Just be advised.
Thanks schmidtj. Would you mind elaborating on the above? Are you saying if the traction battery depletes that you might not make it up the incline or that it may be slow going getting up the incline? I would think since the ICE in the TCH is almost as powerful (horsepower and torque) as the ICE in the 4 cylinder that negotiating inclines would essentially be the same even if the traction battery depletes? Am I wrong? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, that's a new one. My TCH takes the north Georgia mountains very well. Long climbs and lots of switcbacks. Yes it does growl on heavy upgrades, but no more than any other fourbanger. I put it in "B" on downgrades to keep it under control. It does feel scary when the engine shuts off while coasting down a steep grade but now I'm used to it. Never once have I had the electric motor poop out and I NEVER use Cruise Control in the mountains. Plus the stability control does allow for higher speeds in turns but it won't let you fly if you miss a curve.

Quick Reply: TCH going up steep inclines...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands