Lifetime Miles Per Gallon (LMPG)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Lifetime Miles Per Gallon (LMPG)

Hi all:

Yesterday while driving to work I switched over to trip a on my dash, trip a was reset to zero when I started driving my HCH and is my lifetime mile per gallon (LMPG) reading, it was close to 10,000 mile, with 73.4 mpg on it . Today I looked back at it and found that the mileage part of it had reset to zero, but the mpg number had remain the same, 73.4. It seems to me that the trip meter, a or b, will only read up to 9,999 miles before it resets to zero. Has anyone experience this same problem? And is this an accurate way of tracking LMPG?

Old 12-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Default Re: Lifetime Miles Per Gallon (LMPG)

Are you sure it really reset? Maybe it can only display 4 digits, so it's telling you "1|0001" for 10,001.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, it reset, I am at 182.7 miles on trip A and still 73.4 mpg.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Then I suppose it didn't really reset. The processor thinks its on 10182 miles but it has no display for the extra digit, so it's still calculating LMPG. That's good to know!

Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 PM

That's what I'm saying; it didn't reset. It's trying to display "10182" since it knows that's how far you went, but it can only display the last four digits "0182". If it reset, the MPG counter would have changed radically.

Honda just didn't expect anyone to use the trip meters for lifetime mileage, apparently. I just calculate mine... Trip A I use for tank mileage, Trip B just as a literal trip mileage, resetting it every 20-50 miles.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Brains of the Operation

I also use one of my trip meters for lifetime mpg, and the other is reset for each tank. I've got about 13,200 on my HCH now, but the lmpg trip meter reads "3247" instead of 13247. The mileage was carried over, though - still says 47.3. Tangent: my FCD more often tends to understate my mpg than overstate it. I think I'm going to just start using the FCD readouts for my mileage entries on the database rather than losing gas receipts (which I do a lot) and worrying about the number. Would I lose GreenHybrid cred for doing that? Wayne?

Old 12-13-2005, 07:22 PM

Hi Civic Duty:

___You will not lose status but you may lose credibility from your peers here at GH

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-13-2005, 09:26 PM

Hey, I created a nice word file that I print on both sides of the paper and cut out to make into a book to track mileage. I've been using it for years, and adapted it for multiple mpg columns for the HCH. If you're the type who loses receipts perhaps you'd like to make yourself a book from my file or your customization thereof. Anybody interested? If so, can I post a word doc here or how do I attach a file? How would I get it out to you folks?

Old 12-13-2005, 09:46 PM

Hi Zimbop:

___Upload it! Place in your text, click Go Advanced and then click on Manage Attachments.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-13-2005, 10:16 PM

Mileage book doc attached.

I use the A column for the first trip, B column for the second trip mpg, and the C column for the calculated mpg based on miles and gallons. Works for me.

Pirnt back to back all the pages but one (printed one side only). Cut them out leaving a little margin, fold them in half, re-open the fold and stack them up. The single sided sheet I put around the others at the end so that the first page is blank, then the first spread has a full table, as does each consecutive page spread, then the last page is blank again. I use a file folder to make a cover then staple the whole thing along the fold. If you want it to be really nice in the end, press the booklet flat and use a straight edge and xacto knife to trim the perimeter of the booklet so the pages are all even around the edges.

Make it as many pages long as you like. Since I'm optimistic about how long I'llown my HCH, I made mine capable of logging about 500 tanks (yikes that's like 250,000 miles). Uff da.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
carbook hybrid.doc (79.5 KB, 588 views)

Last edited by zimbop; 12-13-2005 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Miles Per Gallon (LMPG)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands