Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

REPRISE: "America is addicted to oil", redux

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 06:04 AM
'lectronimo
Default REPRISE: "America is addicted to oil", redux

In reaction to the presidents State of the Union remarks a number of legislators have formed a bipartisan coalition to urge President Bush to support legislation to reduce America’s dependence on foreign oil:

"WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senators Ken Salazar (D-CO), Evan Bayh (D-IN), Sam Brownback (R-KS), Joe Lieberman (D-CT), and Norm Coleman (R-MN), along with Congressmen Jack Kingston (R-GA) and Eliot Engel (D-NY), today called on President Bush to follow up on his remarks in last night’s State of the Union address by supporting their bipartisan legislation to increase America’s energy independence. Last November, the bipartisan coalition introduced the Vehicle and Fuel Choices for American Security Act, which would mandate 2.5 million barrels in oil-savings in 10 years and would also encourage the mass-production of cars that can burn any combination of gasoline and alternative fuels or, alternatively, cars powered by efficient hybrid engines...."

The full text can be found here:

http://salazar.senate.gov/news/relea...01oiljoint.htm

I was pleased to see my senator, Senator Salazar of Colorado, as one of the principles supporting this effort. So pleased, I took the time to write him and thank him for his efforts.

If you support the coalition's effort, please consider taking the time to write you senators and representatives. It's quite easy to do. Starting from these congressional links: http://www.senate.gov/, http://www.house.gov/ you can quickly find websites and contact information for your respective senators and representatives.

Remember in this country it is a government of, for and by the people. (although at times it seems to be of, for, by and for the lobbyists :-)

Old 02-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Default Re: REPRISE: "America is addicted to oil", redux

Is this a new topic? It looks like a duplicate of your prevous thread.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Engineering first

I think he was trying to get the thread out of the Journalism and news group. I admire the effort but the whole thread needs to be relocated.

As for the premise of the thread, there was so little in the State of the Union speech. Seeing any change at first sounded good but looking at the actual budget numbers, there is no change. As they say in Texas, "All hat and no cattle."

Bob Wilson

Old 02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Site Founder

Sorry, please do not start a duplicate thread. If you'd like your old thread split so it isn't off topic, please contact our moderators.