View Poll Results: Do you Service your HCH at the dealership, at another garage, or do it yourself?
I always take it to the Honda Dealer
60.94%
I take it to a neigborhood garage
4.69%
I take it to a chain oil/lube place (Jiffy Lube, etc...)
3.13%
I do it myself
31.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Service at Honda Dealer, other Garage, or do it yourself...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Poll: Service at Honda Dealer, other Garage, or do it yourself...

I asked before I let a chain store do an oil change on my hybrid and they were familiar with them. (I also asked when I got a new stereo installed). I've only had oil change thus far and I haven't had an issues, other than the fact they deflated my tires back to "normal pressure". Next time I'll have to remember to ask them not to do that part of the service.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

OH, the other thing is the dealer I bought my car from is an hour away, and I don't often want to drive that far or have the time to do so.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikeyt758
I got a service price list when I bought my hybrid in January. They want 29.95 for an oil change. But if it's a hybrid, you have to add 19.99 to that price. I guess it's the labor to take off that cover on the bottom.
That price is rediculous, even for a dealer service center. The dealer's service center I usually go to charges $28.95 for an oil change, and they add on only a couple more dollars for a hybrid. For a minor service or larger, they add on about $10 for a hybrid. Sometimes they'll even give me the service or oil change for the same price they'd charge others, if they're having a special or are being particularly ditzy that day.
--A

Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Honda Service Experience

I just brought the car in for its first service, it was at %15 with 7,600 miles and the indicator said 1A, which is just a tire rotation and oil change.

Of course the Honda technician said "Our standard 7,500 mile service includes a long list of checks, along with adjusting/lubing the brakes and cleaning the battery terminals and runs $144. Sign here". I said "but the car indicates that it just needs an oil change and tire rotation". He argued that this is Honda's standard 7,500 mile service and the list comes straight from Honda. I asked "Is it ok if I just get the oil change and tire rotation like it says on the indicator/manual?" After more arguing, he finally gave in and said that I could if thats what I really wanted and quoted me a price of around $36 (we were standing next to the car through all of this). Later he called and said he had to adjust the quote to add $18 because he just realized that it is a Hybrid. This is the dealer that I bought the car from and he had originally pulled up my file when I arrived.

Interestingly when I got it back they had included all of the previously mentioned checklist of inspections as part of the oil change/tire rotation (as any reputable garage should). Not sure what value I would get from the $144 - 7,500 mile service???

Please tell me again why I should continue to get it service through Honda?

Old 02-28-2006, 12:57 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Honda Service Experience

Originally Posted by Archslater
I just brought the car in for its first service, it was at %15 with 7,600 miles and the indicator said 1A, which is just a tire rotation and oil change.

Of course the Honda technician said "Our standard 7,500 mile service includes a long list of checks, along with adjusting/lubing the brakes and cleaning the battery terminals and runs $144. Sign here". I said "but the car indicates that it just needs an oil change and tire rotation". He argued that this is Honda's standard 7,500 mile service and the list comes straight from Honda. I asked "Is it ok if I just get the oil change and tire rotation like it says on the indicator/manual?" After more arguing, he finally gave in and said that I could if thats what I really wanted and quoted me a price of around $36 (we were standing next to the car through all of this). Later he called and said he had to adjust the quote to add $18 because he just realized that it is a Hybrid. This is the dealer that I bought the car from and he had originally pulled up my file when I arrived.

Interestingly when I got it back they had included all of the previously mentioned checklist of inspections as part of the oil change/tire rotation (as any reputable garage should). Not sure what value I would get from the $144 - 7,500 mile service???

Please tell me again why I should continue to get it service through Honda?
I recently brought my 05HCH in for 10,000 mile honda service and they had the big check list of things that were supposed to be done and checked. I brought my own 0W-20 mobil 1 and they only charged me $91 including tire rotation etc. But a lot of the little things like lube door hinges etc weren't done because I did my own "check" after the service. Unless you stand over the tech, I just wouldn't trust them to do all the little stuff. Guess PT Barnum was right.....

Old 02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The dealership isn't convenient for me, but I think I'll be trekking out there for service for the forseeable future. For one thing, they gave me a coupon book for the first several maintenance things, like the first oil change for $9.95, etc., so even if the dealer gets pricey down the road, right now it's actually not. They also seem to have a good grasp on hybrid maintenance, particularly, and put me on some kind of alert list, so I'm supposed to get reminders by mail to get the maintenance done. So far (one oil change) it's been fine.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I for one dont pay any of these vampires/dealers to do simple things like change my oil, air filter, and definately any inspections. I obtained a pamphlet of all the things that dealer does during the service schedules and it looks to me like almost everything can be done at home with the exception of tire rotation, brake replacement, tranny fluid replacement, replace serpentine belts, and adjust valve clearances; fortunately the last 3 are not very often: 100,000+km at least.

Also, for those of you experts and DIY enthusiasts out there you can do spark plugs and coolant flushes yourselves or at least learn how, I did and it wasnt that hard to do so. At least you can choose which plugs you can use, i already have my sights on Iradiums which are supposed to be better than platinums (the ones currently installed on the HCH according to a honda rep near my home).

BTW, what the heck does brake service mean as part of schedule B? someone had mentioned it to me that they service it by grinding it even thinner to lessen the life of your brakes so they can rip you off with premature brake wear. I guess the best way to tell if your brake needs replacement is to check the pad with your own eyes and see if they are no less than 1/8" thick or when you hear a loud shrieking sound everytime step on the brakes; then it's time to replace everything including front rotors, pads, and rear drums and shoes.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Supposedly the brake service includes taking them off and lubricating them and checking them .... according to my dealer's technician who wanted it done at the 7,500 service. Somehow this and cleaning the battery terminals was worth an extra $90 over the tire rotation and oil change.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

For my previous car, i had the brakes liberally lubricated only during brake changes. I never had any problems with this method. I have a friendly garage who does the brake wear and rotor wear checks because the dealer will always let you know or somewhat "scare" you into changing them prematurely. They tell you over the phone that they also do brake inspection "for free", but they wont just hoist up your car and not make money off of it once you're there; someone has to pay for those dealer lights, couches, air conditioning etc .

But since they do tire rotation, oil changes, and clean the battery terminal, then i suppose it's worth it.
To my knowledge, that brake lubricant is nothing more than brake anti-squeal,
correct? so if your brakes were not squealing the first time you came in, that means they had enough lubricant to last, supposedly until they needed to be changed, assuming your brake pads, rotors, shoes were not worn out.
someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by CamelFilters; 03-01-2006 at 01:04 PM.