Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.
View Poll Results: Should "starting MPG" be included in mileage DB's computations?
Yes - This will compute my car's true MPG average over its entire lifetime.
28.57%
No - The MPG average's computation should only use the tanks I've individually entered.
37.14%
Make Optional (default to 'no'?) - Users may not have captured accurate MPG averages until now...
34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Exclude "starting MPG" from Mileage DB's computations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Recent Hybrid convert
Arrow Exclude "starting MPG" from Mileage DB's computations?

It all started when I re-read the Mileage Database 2.0 page's summary display:
"AA.A"mpg (US)
This member began contributing at "X" mi and has driven "Y" mi over "Z" tanks since then for a total of (X + Y) mi.
Should the GH mileage databases include the "starting distance / starting MPG" figures when calculating one's car lifetime MPG average, or should it stick to providing an overall average based solely on the individually recorded tank readings? Or should it let you choose to include any starting MPG when it's really available and accurate (and Jason can re-code it that way)?

The reason for my poll is simple: not everyone may have kept up with their "car lifetime average" prior to using the GH database and therefore may make a [sometimes pretty off] guesstimate, leading to skewed results… and the larger the "starting distance", the bigger the potential skew.

Example:
Say 2 TCH owners – "A" & "B" – buy new cars ("0" starting miles) and drive exactly four 15-gal tankfuls at alternating 38/42 mpg for each tank. The net result is 2,400 miles driven, with 40 mpg on average (do the math yourself, it amounts to alternating 570/630 miles and 60 gals total).
Owner "A" consistently records each tank in the GH database since Day 1, while Owner "B" is a late-starter (after the first 2,400 miles) and therefore needs to provide a starting "miles driven" and "mpg" figure when setting up his car in the DB for the 1st time.
Now say Owner "B" hasn't kept up with his mpg average to date, so he takes the tank's LAST reading as his "overall" average (trust me, it happens!), being 42mpg. The GH database translates that entry into 57.1 (vs. 60) total gallons consumed, as it will need that total consumption figure for computing future overall averages.
Finally, let's say winter moves in and two more 15-gal tankfuls are recorded by each driver… this time, all exactly at 35 mpg given the frigid commutes (it translates into 525 miles per tank). After the new total of 2,400+1,050=3,450 miles are in the database, we have:
  • Owner "A": 38.3 mpg (total of 90.0 gals)
  • Owner "B": 39.6 mpg (total of 87.1 gals)
I'm assuming this discrepancy happens quite often (although probably not as extreme as my example), especially with those entries where the "starting distance" is 80% of one's total miles recorded to date… as in 2-3 tanks (or even 0 tanks!), yet already at >10K miles traveled.

As a matter of fact, it even skews the listing of averages when sorted "by distance (farthest)".... at least in the TCH database, where all entries are still relatively quite new. The averages for "farthest miles traveled" are prone to interpretation, as some total miles recorded did not truly start at "0".

Last edited by HybridFan; 12-07-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Exclude "starting MPG" from Mileage DB's computations?

I have noticed folks who come in, enter one huge mileage and then we never hear from them again. IMHO, the records that should count are those from vehicles whose entries are currently being updated. The rest should go to a 'legacy' or 'historical' vehicle summary.

As for the 'first tank,' it often comes in looking pretty poor because: (1) owner didn't get a chance to baseline processes, and (2) owner didn't have a clue about the vehicle performance characteristics.

I've been around long enough that taking out my first tank would have no effect. But at one time, it delayed my 'star' by three weeks.

BTW, I think a hypermiler star should come from multiple tanks, not just one. It should be earned and evidence of earning it should be evident in the database.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

So what constitutes a hypermiler?

I know this is what the database states: "Hypermiler! The driver of this car has achieved "hypermiler" status. To qualify, a car must have higher fuel economy than EPA estimates over more than 3,000 miles. The EPA city/highway figures are weighted for each car. If no percentages are specified, 55/45% is default."

For a TCH I assume that means 3000 miles over 39.1 MPG, but I have seen some people that have a star where they don't have 3000 miles worth of tanks over 39.1. (ntguru has an average of 39.0 MPG, and has no tank data inputed). I also notice that there are some people that had stars who no loner have them. These people had 2000 miles worth of tanks above 39.1, but had stars at one point in time.

Right now, I am one tank away from star status, and I am working dilligently to get my status, but my current tank is at a display of 38.3 MPG which translates to around 36.5-37 MPG. So I don't think I will be able to get it on this tank. Much more of these terrible shifting winds, and I don't think I will get it for a while (head winds on the way to work, then wind shifts and a head wind on the way home, I need a new job going the other direction).

Back to the original topic, I personally think only actual tank data that is inputed should count, and I don't think the display should even be available for a data input point. I know my display can be optimistic, so the only true measure of how much fuel you are burning is how much you are actually putting into the car. I don't have a problem if you wait to input all tank data every 6 months, as long as it is factual data and not I think I put in 12 gallons.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Exclude "starting MPG" from Mileage DB's computations?

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I have noticed folks who come in, enter one huge mileage and then we never hear from them again. IMHO, the records that should count are those from vehicles whose entries are currently being updated. The rest should go to a 'legacy' or 'historical' vehicle summary.

As for the 'first tank,' it often comes in looking pretty poor because: (1) owner didn't get a chance to baseline processes, and (2) owner didn't have a clue about the vehicle performance characteristics.

I've been around long enough that taking out my first tank would have no effect. But at one time, it delayed my 'star' by three weeks.

BTW, I think a hypermiler star should come from multiple tanks, not just one. It should be earned and evidence of earning it should be evident in the database.

Bob Wilson
I agree with all you said. The mileage should only be based on calculated not displayed values. When I look at the database and am trying to figure something out like the effect of temperature on mileage, I discard data from those who use only the display. My displayed value has always been high.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
[...]

My original objective for this poll/thread was to discuss whether mpg averages being computed/displayed were as accurate as they could be (realizing that the db has many other "accuracy" impediments, one of which is the legitimacy of the entries themselves)... but since the topic has expanded into this potential "thorny" area, let me throw in my $0.02 as well:
IMHO, all "0 tank" line items as well as all "grayed out" (read: no longer being updated?) items should be moved to a 'legacy'/'archive' section.
I'm not so interested in what constitutes as valid 'hypermiler' status, since way too many factors play into each FE number stated by the GH members. What I would like to do, however, is be able to review/analyze a more "valid" bell curve for my car model overall, w/o all the potentially misleading "spoilers" out there.
Yes I do believe some of those "0 tank" entries are quite legit, but others are likely not... and I just can't differentiate between the two. Likewise, a "grayed out" line entry can be 100% legit (and inspirational to some, as in the case of xcel's Little Red Beauty which got sold and is therefore no longer "current") but one with just a few tanks of data may mean that the driver just "played around" with the DB for a short while but then gave up maintaining his/her records...
Just some random thoughts, that's all. In the end, however, my main question still remains outstanding: do "starting miles / stand-alone mpg" figures have any place in the GH databases?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There are alot of flaws but I don't know that there is a solution. 1 tank entries should probably be excluded. As should inputs from MPG displays. I know my display is at least 2mpg higher than my actually economy figures. I think the only way to get an accurate measure is to allow people to input ONLY 1 tank at a time and ONLY allow them to enter the information in terms of gallons of fuel and miles travelled. Of course, it will greatly reduce the amount of information available but it will increase its accuracy.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
There are alot of flaws but I don't know that there is a solution. 1 tank entries should probably be excluded. As should inputs from MPG displays. I know my display is at least 2mpg higher than my actually economy figures. I think the only way to get an accurate measure is to allow people to input ONLY 1 tank at a time and ONLY allow them to enter the information in terms of gallons of fuel and miles travelled. Of course, it will greatly reduce the amount of information available but it will increase its accuracy.
When I first found this site, I think I had about 4,000 miles on my FEH and had not recorded my mileage other than in my head or on gas receipt I've lost. Now I have +31,000 miles and only a possible 3 or 4 tanks below EPA during my first summer with the A/C running. Everything has gotten better with all the tricks and techniques I've learned, and my weather is much better than most recording their mileage here.

There were times I thought about starting to log my mileage, but feared I wouldn't keep up on it or starting it at an unfair time during the winter for me in South Florida.

Any recommendations? Is there any point in starting now?

GaryG

Old 12-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I started on what has become a huge spreadsheet after about 2500 miles. I keep track of every tank and every mile and my wife thinks I'm loony.

I like to keep track of how I'm doing overall and I compare it to how I'd be doing in the V6 we almost bought.....right now I'm saving about $55/mo in gas and will hit my break-even point in Feb 2008. I just like knowing.

I entered my data from a starting mileage of around 2600 miles and have since added about 13 tanks over the next 5000 miles. I think any accurate addition to the DB is valuable to the community. I also think tracking it can help you keep an eye on your own performance and how the weather affects your MPG. It will be nice to do a year to year comparison to see how I am doing.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

"optional" is not quite the way i would like to see it. i would like an MPG datapoint for previous ownership (pre-purchase MPG?), and then "MY" lifetime MPG, possibly followed by the car's entire lifetime. for instance: whan i bought my insight it was showing 60.1 LMPG. since i have owned it i have averaged 67 MPG, yielding a total LMPG of 62. it would be nice to see all three values. my .02!

also, i think 67MPG would make me a hypermiler.....

Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Exclude "starting MPG" from Mileage DB's computations?

Can a moderator go back and question those who post on the mileage to make the data more meaningful?

For example, some have reported that they drive at +50% of the speed limit. I'm sure that based on the mileage they achieve that they are not going 90 to 100 miles per hour.

There are other descrepancies as well that could be ironed out so that we who study the info to learn would have more reliabel information.

It would also be useful to add if the terrain is flat or hilly since this has impact on the mileage achieved.

Quick Reply: Exclude "starting MPG" from Mileage DB's computations?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands