My First Problem with my TCH

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default My First Problem with my TCH

While driving home yesterday, all of a sudden my horn started blasting a constant BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. It would not turn off. Of course all the cars around me on the road were looking at me kind of strangely. Everything else on the car seemed to be working normally, and it drove fine. I pulled off into a parking lot, and turned the car off. Guess what? The horn was still blowing loudly. Then I turned off the light switch which was on the ON position and the horn stopped.

I restarted the car and no horn blowing. Whew! Then as soon as I turned on the lights, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. It was about 5pm EST and just beginning to get dark. As long as I kept the light switch in the off position, no horn, no problem. Turn it on even to auto or driving light position, and sure enough, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

So I immediately drove to the dealer with no lights on. They indicated the technician that could look at it had left for the day. They gave me a loaner to take with me. Today they called me and said the part they needed to fix the problem was not in stock and would take a couple of days. So I am keeping the loaner until they get it fixed.

Anyone else had anything wierd like this happen? I hate electrical problems on cars, once they start, it seems like you never get rid of them. I will let you know how things work out when they get it fixed.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: My First Problem with my TCH

How long have you had the car?

Old 12-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: My First Problem with my TCH

That is pretty strange..

Evidently the BLEEPING light switch runs through the BLEEPING horn relay...

Sorry - couldn't resist... There is most likely a connection there though..

Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have heard of this happening with other cars.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 AM
Enthusiast

I got my TCH in July.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like a short in the control module in the steering column to me. If it was just a wiring short they wouldn't need to wait for a part.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:59 AM
joe540ci

Originally Posted by ckvk48a
While driving home yesterday, all of a sudden my horn started blasting a constant BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. It would not turn off. Of course all the cars around me on the road were looking at me kind of strangely. Everything else on the car seemed to be working normally, and it drove fine. I pulled off into a parking lot, and turned the car off. Guess what? The horn was still blowing loudly. Then I turned off the light switch which was on the ON position and the horn stopped.

I restarted the car and no horn blowing. Whew! Then as soon as I turned on the lights, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. It was about 5pm EST and just beginning to get dark. As long as I kept the light switch in the off position, no horn, no problem. Turn it on even to auto or driving light position, and sure enough, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

So I immediately drove to the dealer with no lights on. They indicated the technician that could look at it had left for the day. They gave me a loaner to take with me. Today they called me and said the part they needed to fix the problem was not in stock and would take a couple of days. So I am keeping the loaner until they get it fixed.

Anyone else had anything wierd like this happen? I hate electrical problems on cars, once they start, it seems like you never get rid of them. I will let you know how things work out when they get it fixed.
See post 8-

Last edited by JOE540CI; 12-28-2006 at 10:03 AM. Reason: oops
Old 12-28-2006, 10:02 AM
joe540ci

I had the same problem only my horn melted. they put in a whole new relay/fuse box and the car has been perfect since.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

My SWAG is the wire controlling the horn and the wire controlling the light are "pinched/shorted together" somewhere (as in the steering column?). Could be a defective wire/harness/connector/other.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
I had the same problem only my horn melted. ..
Makes sense. The lifetime of a horn is 15 minutes of usage.

Quick Reply: My First Problem with my TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands