Dead battery problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Dead battery problems?

Is anyone else having problems with the 12 volt battery in their HiHy dying after 4-5 days of sitting? For the second time in less than a month I returned from a trip to find my vehicle would not start. I think part of the problem may be a relatively short daily commute (under 10 miles round trip), but this problem did not occur with other vehicles I have owned.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 AM
Happy HiHy Owner
Default Re: Dead battery problems?

My experience to date......have left the HiHy unused for up to 2 weeks with no problem starting. 99% of use is around town with trips averaging less than 10 miles each. Base 2006 HiHy 4WD. If I were in your position I would suspect some current drain when turned off is draining the 12v battery. The alternative I would suspect is a bad 12v battery. Do you know anyone that could measure current drain when turned off....possibly see what the dealer can find. Hope this helps....

Old 01-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion. I can have someone measure the draw at work. Didn't think of that!

Old 01-05-2007, 03:13 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MI-HiHy
Is anyone else having problems with the 12 volt battery in their HiHy dying after 4-5 days of sitting? For the second time in less than a month I returned from a trip to find my vehicle would not start. I think part of the problem may be a relatively short daily commute (under 10 miles round trip), but this problem did not occur with other vehicles I have owned.
I've had mine over a year now and never had that problem and have had it sit for a little over two weeks, almost three. I also have short trips, under 15 miles each way. Sounds like there is something draining the battery, more than the computer on yours. One thing I also do is to turn my auto headlamps to the off position as some times those circuts draw more juice, even thought the H/L's are not coming on because the sensor is being activated.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with the other posters, sound like there may be a drain from some component. It could also be a small short within the battery itself.

~X~

Old 01-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Lead-acid starting batteries (as opposed to L-A deep-cycle batteries) are notoriously susceptible to irreversibly reduced capacity on being completely discharged a single time, so I'd have the battery capacity tested. A door may have been left ajar, etc, in the first instance. Suspect your're gonna need a starting battery regardless with multiple flattenings of that teenie-weenie little thing.

Pete

Old 02-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast

xx

Last edited by super10s; 03-11-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dead 12 wolt batteries will also lead to poorer fuel economy. I think there is also a TSB out about such a "battery drain" on some vehicles. Search this site on my moniker for the actual TSB that fixes the fuel economy (and is related to 12wolt battery disconnection). It ALONE got me nearly 2 MPG better Fuel economy.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

Interesting, I have had exactly the same problem with my new Camry Hybrid. I'm on my 3rd starter battery and the dealer has had it in 4 times (2 times for a week) and has found nothing. Every time I have left it for 3 days or more it's stone cold dead. Dealer has given up and I'm not happy! Check out the discussion on the Camry Hybrid thread.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=12585

Old 03-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by obrienklm
Interesting, I have had exactly the same problem with my new Camry Hybrid. I'm on my 3rd starter battery and the dealer has had it in 4 times (2 times for a week) and has found nothing. Every time I have left it for 3 days or more it's stone cold dead. Dealer has given up and I'm not happy! Check out the discussion on the Camry Hybrid thread.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=12585
I would look into the lemon laws for your state. Most of the states I have lived in have similar lemon laws to the effect that if you car goes to the dealer for the same repair on 3 different occasions with no resolution that you can take further action to return or replace the car. If you dealer has truly given up, I would consider pursuing this avenue.

Quick Reply: Dead battery problems?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands