Asl

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 04:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Asl

Has anyone else been having trouble with their Auto Sound Levelizer? Mine doesn't seem to work. My boyfriend has the new Rav4 and it is very noticeable when his ASL is working. Mine doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any thoughts?

Old 02-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Asl

I haven't noticed any difference with mine either, but the car is so quiet, perhaps the ASL doesn't need to make much of an adjustment???

Old 02-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Haven't noticed much if any difference with mine either.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have been wondering if ASL really exists in my car! I can't tell anything. (Mine is non-NAV, in case that matters.)

Old 02-20-2007, 11:32 AM

There have been reports in the past that ASL in the JBL system isn't working, which is true in my JBL system. (RDS also is not working in the JBL system). None of you guys specified whether you have JBL or NAV system.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a Kentucky built TCH with JBL & Nav. The ASL definitely IS working in my car. So much so that I turned it off as I like doing the volume myself.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 AM
SPL

I've been wondering about exactly the same thing. I can't detect any change when I switch the ASL "on" and "off." I have a Japanese-made, JBL, non-NAV. Could the rest of you please identify whether you have the NAV or the non-NAV, JBL or non-JBL? Also, whether your TCH was made in Japan or in Kentucky. Thanks. This may help pin down the nature of the problem. Can you also provide some other information (see below) to help trouble-shoot this? Thanks!

The JBL non-NAV has only an on/off choice for ASL. It's supposed to be speed-adaptive, boosting low-level passages more as the car's speed increases. Does the NAV version offer more than an on/off choice? Can it display the active ASL level as a bar-graph on its LCD display? I believe that it can. If so, does this bar-graph change as your speed varies, indicating changing amounts of boost? The amplifier is identical in both Hybrid and non-Hybrid 2007 Camrys, by the way. So, I'd have expected that, if anything, the amount of low-level boost would have been too much in view of the quietness of the TCH. But, I can't hear any significant boost at all! I've already checked to make sure that the SPD (speed) signal is in fact reaching the amplifier (under the front passenger's seat) of my TCH, and it is. [The Repair Manual tells how — see that attached pages AV-110to113 and AV-139to142. The latter pages show how to get at the amplifier connectors, and the former tell how to perform the test. I don't think that you need to test yours too, given that we are all reporting the same experiences.]

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AV-110to113.pdf (150.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: pdf
AV-139to142.pdf (379.8 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by SPL; 02-21-2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added request for country of manufacture, and request for whether yours is JBL or not.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Electricity Guzzler

I love this forum. I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering about the asl. I have the non nav, JBL system. I notice no difference when speed varies. I have mine turned on. But it doesn't seem any different at 10 km or 110 km.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast

I hadn't noticed the ASL doing anything until yesterday, when my daughter complained about wierdness in the sound playing her music - only after she mentioned this I did I notice that ASL boosting the sound abruptly somewhere in the 60-65 mph range and then dropping volume as the speed declined. It wasn't a smooth change in volume, but rather a noticeable step. Turning off ASL made this behavior stop.

I expected a smoother, more adaptive response, but I haven't been able to tell if that's happening. I have a non-Kentucky system with JBL and NAV.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a JBL Nav. I have not noticed a difference.

Quick Reply: Asl

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands