Oil change every 5k or listen to computer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Oil change every 5k or listen to computer?

Do you get your oil changed every 5k or do you listen to the computer? Mine says 42% life left but I've driven about 10k miles.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil change every 5k or listen to computer?

I tend to listen to myself. 3,000 for dino. 5,000 for synth. I live in the south which is hell on oil.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sirfergy
Do you get your oil changed every 5k or do you listen to the computer? Mine says 42% life left but I've driven about 10k miles.
I thought the oil change indicator was a straight mileage countdown to 10k. If you've driven 10k since it was reset and it's now reading 42%, then it doesn't work the way we had thought.

I'd not exceed the 10k change interval that Ford specifies regardless of what the dash indicator says.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
I thought the oil change indicator was a straight mileage countdown to 10k. If you've driven 10k since it was reset and it's now reading 42%, then it doesn't work the way we had thought.

I'd not exceed the 10k change interval that Ford specifies regardless of what the dash indicator says.
It seems to be a 10000 mile countdown as far as I can tell, at least it comes up every 10,000 for me. I often have to reset it myself because the techs forget. The manual does suggest there is a time element as well seems to say it won't let you go longer than 12 months. (pg 103 of the '06 manual)

Old 04-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You are supposed to change your oil every 10,000 miles with Dino or Blended oil. Or in 12 months, whichever comes first.

With full synthetic oil, you can change oil every 15,000 miles.

You need to consider that this is a "Green" vehicle in more ways than one.
Fewer oil changes is one way.
Fewer oil changes, and a re-usable oil filter canister help reduce waste.

The FEH runs the engine fewer hours than a traditional car.
The FEH runs the engine at idle, amost not at all.

If you change your FEH oil more frequently than above, then you are not fully understanding the benefits of a hybrid car, and you are needlessly wasteing money, and sending extra pollution into the environment.

Ford says it is not required, but most people make the very first oil change sooner, during the break-in period.

I changed out the Motorcraft factory oil at about 6500 miles.

I used Mobil 1 and took it 10,000 miles the first time and the oil was still clean, tan colored, and translucent when I drained it.

I used Mobil 1 and took it 15,000 miles the second time, and the oil was still in good shape. Visually, it was still clean, dark-tan colored, and translucent, after 12 months and 15,000 miles.

The FEH is gentle on oil.
I'd only change it sooner if you drive on dirt roads all the time.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:54 PM

I use Mobil1 0-20 & change the oil & filter at 7500 miles.

It is overkill?? Probably, but I love my truck & plan to keep it a long time & it certainly doesn't hurt to change your oil more often........

~John

Old 04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
If you change your FEH oil more frequently than above, then you are not fully understanding the benefits of a hybrid car, and you are needlessly wasteing money, and sending extra pollution into the environment.
I figure by driving a hybrid Escape over the large pickup I almost purchased, I am saving about 2800 quarts of gasoline a year over the roughly 20000 miles I drive each year. By changing my oil at 5000 miles instead of 10000 miles, I am "wasting" 9 quarts of oil a year. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the relationship between 9 and 2800 - about 3 tenths of one percent by volume. Factor in the heat energy that is taken out of that used oil when it is burned for hot water at a car wash and I don't think I am doing any harm to the environment. In fact, I am probably helping the situation since my oil being recycled means 9 quarts of new oil doesn't have to be burned to make that hot water.

Understand?

Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

I tend to go by the book which says 10K for oil changes. I figure Ford spent a lot on research and that is what they came up with. I am sure the engine will last longer then I will keep the car. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:09 PM
HEV's are your friend

Originally Posted by IndyBob
I tend to go by the book which says 10K for oil changes. I figure Ford spent a lot on research and that is what they came up with. I am sure the engine will last longer then I will keep the car. Just my 2 cents.
Of course...the want the $$$ for service, oil and filters

I tend to go by the message center indication myself.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

I had initially changed it at 1K but that's only for the first thousand miles, but now it's 10K.

Quick Reply: Oil change every 5k or listen to computer?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands