Alternative Fuel Vehicles Running biodiesel, E85, Natural Gas, Propane? Chat here!

How to Blend Your Own Fuel, and Why You Should

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: How to Blend Your Own Fuel, and Why You Should

Colby, what did you do to "convert" to Flex Fuel?

I have run up to E40 with good results. At about E50 I think I will max out some sensors though, even though I'm sure the ICE will take more.

Ford only made 20 E85 ready Escape Hybrids. I was lucky to come across the E85 hybrid in the photo below.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

All I did was install one of those conversion kits that hook to the injectors. I was going to replace fuel lines and pumps, but when I really looked into it I didn't think it was necessary.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:55 PM

By the way, have you seen this:
http://www.ve85.com/

Old 02-20-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Colby, what did you do to "convert" to Flex Fuel?

I have run up to E40 with good results. At about E50 I think I will max out some sensors though, even though I'm sure the ICE will take more.

Ford only made 20 E85 ready Escape Hybrids. I was lucky to come across the E85 hybrid in the photo below.
This thread has input from all sorts of hybrids. I'm interested in this thread because of the seat-of-the-pants research.

If the title of the thread is, "How to Blend your Own Gasoline, and Why You Should" I can assume that statement is the Problem. I'm guessing the hypothesis would be something like, Blending your Own Gasoline will Result in Better Gas Milage.

Several of you have done the experiment and have more or less given your results. I'm wondering if your results are broadly applicable to other platforms as a conclusion. Although I wouldn't ever think of using anything except what comes from a gas pump. I wonder also what Prius would say if I were to run E85 through my car ("Toyota allows. . . . the oxygenate up to 10% ethanol. . . ." (p319 Toyota 2006 Owner's Manual)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:24 PM

It would probably give you a "check engine" light, and possible cut off the flow of fuel to your motor. There have been several priuses converted to FF already.

By the way, e85 comes from a gas pump

Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
It would probably give you a "check engine" light, and possible cut off the flow of fuel to your motor. There have been several priuses converted to FF already.

By the way, e85 comes from a gas pump
Guess that sentence muddied the, uh, gas. But, since I would never get my fuel (gas) from anywhere other than a gas pump, I have to ask, is there another way to buy it? Bootleg E85 by the jug perhaps?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Martin, I'm not sure what you are asking.

I started this thread, and yes, I implied there is a problem with the gas sold at most retail pumps.

10% ethanol is the worst possible fuel you can put into your car.

CA uses 5.75% which is not as bad, but plans to go to 10% soon I think.
Your MPG will go down with 10% ethanol, and your cost per mile will go up.

With about 25% to 30% ethanol, your MPG will still be lower than plain gas, but at this point you pass the "tipping point" and your cost per mile actually is less than pure gasoline, and way better than 10% ethanol.

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD BLEND YOUR OWN FUEL.

BTW, today I got an E85 injector kit for my car as well. It has a 30 day return policy, so I can return it if it is no use to me. Basically, it tells the car the injectors are running normally, but in reality, they are being driven harder to compensate for the ethanol. So this keeps the computer happy and the check engine lamp off. The car does adjust the fuel, not the add on box, the add on box basically just keeps the check engine lamp off. I haven't tried it, but I think if having a check engine lamp on all the time does not bother you, you could use E85 without the "box". I've only had it in place for about 20 miles, but just based on what it does, it is a very simple device.

P.S. Martin, the manufacturer of my E85 box says the Prius is perhaps the most common adapter sold.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Thumbs up Re: How to Blend Your Own Fuel, and Why You Should

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Martin, I'm not sure what you are asking.

I started this thread, and yes, I implied there is a problem with the gas sold at most retail pumps.

10% ethanol is the worst possible fuel you can put into your car.

CA uses 5.75% which is not as bad, but plans to go to 10% soon I think.
Your MPG will go down with 10% ethanol, and your cost per mile will go up.

With about 25% to 30% ethanol, your MPG will still be lower than plain gas, but at this point you pass the "tipping point" and your cost per mile actually is less than pure gasoline, and way better than 10% ethanol.

THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD BLEND YOUR OWN FUEL.

BTW, today I got an E85 injector kit for my car as well. It has a 30 day return policy, so I can return it if it is no use to me. Basically, it tells the car the injectors are running normally, but in reality, they are being driven harder to compensate for the ethanol. So this keeps the computer happy and the check engine lamp off. The car does adjust the fuel, not the add on box, the add on box basically just keeps the check engine lamp off. I haven't tried it, but I think if having a check engine lamp on all the time does not bother you, you could use E85 without the "box". I've only had it in place for about 20 miles, but just based on what it does, it is a very simple device.

P.S. Martin, the manufacturer of my E85 box says the Prius is perhaps the most common adapter sold.
If my wife and I were to have a prenuptial agreement it would have a clause that I never pick up a tool, except maybe to pack my bike. So, whatever the advantage of E85, it is beyond my ability to deal with it. Unless I can buy it at the pump, I'll have to use whatever is available.

I do admire your ability to deal with the problem and reach a satisfactory result and conclusion, which is to change the injectors in your car.

When I was in the midwest last summer I used whatever was available as regular. The result was best overall mpg of the year bringing the Prius up to 50 mpg (now at 49 - probably from cooler weather). I'll be back this year, starting in Kansas in June and working my way east.

It is interesting 10% ethanol is the maximum allowed in the Prius. One wonders where that value came from.

Anyway, your research is interesting.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM

John: Are you running E85 now also? What brand adapter did you get?

Old 02-22-2008, 04:17 PM

It is interesting 10% ethanol is the maximum allowed in the Prius. One wonders where that value came from.

Anyway, your research is interesting.[/QUOTE]

According to an online article from Morningstar, a financial research company, "Ethanol is notoriously difficult to transport via pipelines because of its corrosive properties,"

So, let me ask: Is this also a problem for using the higher percentage ethanol in a fuel system which is designed and constructed for an E10? In other words, are there more than just injectors involved? What about that bladder in the gas tank? What about the fuel lines? The pump? And what else is involved?

Could that be the reason why Toyota draws the line at E10?

Last edited by centrider; 02-22-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Clarify opening paragraph and 2nd para also

Quick Reply: How to Blend Your Own Fuel, and Why You Should

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands