Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

Mr. Wilson goes to Washington

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Engineering first
Talking Mr. Wilson goes to Washington

Hi,

I plan to attend the public hearing, "Quiet Cars Notice of Public Meeting and Request for Comments" ([Docket No. NHTSA–2008–0108]), on Monday, June 23. Government works best when citizens participate and let our voices be known and I'd like to meet our honorable competition. But since I'll be in the DC area, I am inviting hybrid owners and enthusiasts in the Northern Virginia and Maryland area to a couple of 'git togethers.'

We'll be driving up from Huntsville experimenting with flat-towing our Prius and I'll bring some Prius stuff I've been working on to share at the meetings:
  1. NHW11 battery refurbishment - example modules and an RC charger. We'll actually go through the steps.
  2. General data recording and reporting using a Graham scanner and software. How to approach data plotting.
  3. Flat-towing Prius results.
  4. Prius inverter installation and operation.
  5. Advocacy for HR 5734 materials and suggestions.
  6. Local club activities, if anyone shows up or there is any interest.
  7. Anything folks want to bring up.
Wear comfortable clothes and we'll have a grand time. If you have stuff to share, bring it along. Think of it as a chance to 'talk hybrid shop' and have some fun:
  • Saturday, June 21, 10:00 PM - late, Sweet Water Microbrewers, 3066 Gatehouse Plaza, Merryfield VA (just off Rt 50 and outside the beltway.) I've reserved space for 20. If the traditional afternoon showers clear out the patio (bring a towel and skeeter repellant,) we'll probably have that space. Good food, moderate prices, and great beverages. (RSVP via PM)
  • Sunday, June 22, 8:00 PM - The Dancing Crab, 4615 Wisconsin Ave. I've also asked for space for 20. All you can eat crabs, ~$40, and adding all you can drink beverages (bring a driver,) ~$60. (RSVP via PM)
  • Monday, June 23, Quiet Car hearing, Grand Hyatt Washington, 1000 H Street, NW., Washington, DC 20001.
  • Tuesday, June 24, visit the offices of Rep. Bud Cramer, Sen. Shelby and Sen. Sessions with HR 5734 advocacy materials. I'll also drop by Rep, Artur Davis, one of the most articulate, well spoken members of the Alabama delegation.
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-06-2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Open up the invitation to all hybrid enthusiasts.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mr. Wilson goes to Washington

Bob, welcome to Washington! Are these events just limited to Prius owners or can we FEH drivers drop in too? I'm a big fan of Sweetwater Tavern so I'd definately be in for coming out to that.

Dave

Old 06-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Mr. Wilson goes to Washington

EVERYBODY!!!! Even the non-hybrid folks ... heck even the blind ...
Originally Posted by dcarp
Bob, welcome to Washington! Are these events just limited to Prius owners or can we FEH drivers drop in too? I'm a big fan of Sweetwater Tavern so I'd definately be in for coming out to that.
I can only speak factually about the Prius and sometimes forget. I'll edit my announcement to make sure it is open to all.

I think hybrid owners have a lot more in common and as we talk and share our knownledge, we help everyone. You know who my best car buddies are at work, the guys with a Corvette and 357 Mustang. We talk car stuff and we're all after performance ... they want to go fast and I want to go cheap but we all have to optimize our rides.

GOOD CATCH!

Bob Wilson

ps. This is open to anyone and other forums too. I only hang out in GreenHybrid, PriusChat and a Yahoogroup, "Prius Technical Stuff." But I see no problem with having a crowd. Heck, let the car dealers who handle hybrids know, they might learn something.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

HR 5734 doesn't make any sense. I understand the ACB's perspective, but I think this is just a waste of time.

Let them have it Bob!

BTW, it makes perfect sense, but there is a certain irony in towing a Prius with a Gas Guzzling Coachman.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by doasc
BTW, it makes perfect sense, but there is a certain irony in towing a Prius with a Gas Guzzling Coachman.
I'm thinking about letting the hybrid be the 'pusher' engine ... <grins>

If the cops see the hybrid in front, they'll get a little 'suspicious.' But if the hybrid is behind ... <grins> "TOOT TOOT!!!!"

Bob Wilson

Old 06-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
... If the cops see the hybrid in front, they'll get a little 'suspicious.' But if the hybrid is behind ...
Nah, ... not at all if you put a pair of reins on it and run them to the Windshield of the 'Coachman'.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Engineering first

Or mount a spring version of this robotic arm on Prius behind the coachman:

Meanwhile, the Prius is playing Devo "Whip It Good" in a loop at max volume.

<AAAARRRRRUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!>

Cop: "License and registration please."
Bob: "Yes Sir, here they are."
Cop: "Mr. Wilson do you know why I stopped you?"
Bob: "No sir, I can't even get close to the speed limit and am above the minimum."
Cop: "Well sir, your tow vehicle ..."
Bob: "I'm sure the fittings, lights and safety chain are good."
Cop: "Yes they are fine, it is the mechanical arm and whip and music."
Bob: "Huh?"
Cop: "There are 16 semi-trailer trucks behind you parked on the side of the road with their drivers doubled over in laughter. Two of them needed road side assistance to handle the cramps in their side. Furthermore, people with CB radios have been coming out to pass you. You have all but shutdown I-81."
Bob: "Uh oh. I thought a little fun would help folks pass the time ..."
Cop: "Well in this case ..."

Bob Wilson

Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Engineering first

My letter to the NHTSA per Docket NHTSA-2008-0108:

June 10, 2008

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Docket No. NHTSA-2008-0108
Debbie Ascone
202-366-4383
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE
Washington DC, 20590

Dear Debbie,

As CEO of a small, Alabama corporation, 625k Inc., I have insights to share from an industry perspective and potential solutions for the Quiet Cars hearing. Incorporated in 2007, 625k Inc. supports research and services to extend the operational life of hybrid electric cars to 625,000 miles (1 million kilometers.) We do this by after market engineering and technical services to find cost-effective refurbishment, maintenance, repair and enhancements of hybrid vehicle systems:
  • Lubrication practices - identify non-engine lubrication practices to reduce wear and drag. For example, early testing and replacement of transaxle oil in Prius hybrids.
  • Maintenance practices - identify and apply advanced maintenance schedules to avoid vehicle problems such as an annual throttle body cleaning instead of waiting for an engine that fails to start, a systemic problem.
  • Refurbishment of parts - rather than replacing an expensive accelerator or other positioning assemblies, clean the contacts and reseal.
  • Battery refurbishment - development of user-safe, battery module, refurbishment that reduces the cost to less than $400 and can be done by hybrid owners.
  • Fuel saving control systems - automating vehicle control operation to further reduce fuel burn and improve efficiency while letting the operator keep their attention on traffic.
  • Expanded functionality - adding 120 VAC inverter systems to provide emergency power during outages.
I understand the speakers to the hearing are by invitation but I plan to attend the Monday, June 23 hearing. On Saturday and Sunday, I hope to meet with Northern Virginia and Maryland hybrid owners to share my advocacy information, the facts and data, about this issue as well as owner, hybrid technology. On Tuesday morning, June 24, I will visit the DC offices of Alabama Senators, Shelby and Sessions, and retiring Congressman Bud Cramer as well as Rep. Autur Davis of Alabama and leave my advocacy packages with them.

One of the stated goals of this hearing is "to bring together government policymakers, stakeholders from the blind community, industry representatives and public interest groups to discuss the safety of blind pedestrians encountering quiet cars including hybrids, ..." For several months I was a member of the Quiet Cars mailing list to make sure I understood the nature of the problem. But when I tried to discuss with the membership some of the facts and data, I found the administrators removed my ability to speak and lately, the list has become quiet. If this hearing opens up their ears so we can have a dialog that would be a good thing. But so far, it appears the blind who administer that e-mail list are deaf to any other points of view and therefore we must go to public forums for debate instead of seeking a consensus.

I applaud the pedestrian and cyclists safety goals of these rules but find the solution proposed in HR 5734 to be too narrow in scope with questionable facts and data and marginal implementation. My written statements and backup materials will follow but the principle problems are:
  • Concentration on just noise makers on hybrid cars makes them just as deadly as today's vehicles that kill 5,000 pedestrians and cyclists per year. It would be a terrible tragedy if the last thing someone heard was a mandated noise maker.
  • Consumer resistance for an expensive modification to older hybrids that provides no benefit to the buyer. The terms "unfunded mandate" apply since states would be required to implement what appears to be a marginal solution to an anecdotal problem.
  • Absence of a wave of hybrid-pedestrian accidents but we can read out news reports of actual pedestrian deaths that far exceed the problems of the blind by two orders of magnitude, over 100 times. Yet the proposed noise makers ignore significant, electronic advances that could save thousands of lives, not just the blind in a narrowly defined environment.
  • Potential to start the "smart highway," by opening up the solution set to electronic technology, a wireless with a built-in GPS or positioning information could not only give the blind accurate approach and velocity information but also warn the hybrid drivers of this special hazard. But more importantly, this is the way to bootstrap the "smart highway" and make a significant savings not only in pedestrian and cyclist accidents but vehicle accidents.
  • HR 5734 rewrite to open the solution set. We agree with the goals but the mandated solution, noise makers, is wrong in so many ways and I will be working vigorously to fix or kill the "Bell the Hybrid" Act. It can and should be fixed but as written today, it so fails on 'common sense' that people break out laughing when they hear it described.
If invited to speak as either a member of industry or potential solutions, I will provide my materials on Monday June 16. But I will need to know by Friday, June 13, if an invitation will be coming. As just a 'member of the public,' Tuesday, June 24 will be soon enough for my materials and I'll leave a hardcopy package in the hearing "In" box.

Robert J. Wilson
CEO 625k Inc. of Alabama
Huntsville, AL 35802
256-... (cell)
-----

I'm also sending a copy of this note to C-SPAN in the off chance that they may want 'another point of view.'

Bob Wilson

Old 06-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Engineering first

If you want to help me get in the NHTSA hearing as a presenter or speaker, you need to call or notify:
Debbie Ascone
Office of the Senior Associate Administrator for Vehicle Safety
202-366-4383
Debbie.Ascone@dot.gov
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE
Washington, DC 20590
Let her know that you would like Bob Wilson of 625k Inc. from Huntsville AL to present his corporate and solutions ideas at the hearing. Feel free to borrow any of the ideas in the letter I am sending or cite any of my earlier postings (there should be about 2.5 years available) via e-mail with follow-up paper copy.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Old Boomer Techie

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Docket No. NHTSA-2008-0108
Debbie Ascone
202-366-4383
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE
Washington DC, 20590

Dear Ms. Ascone,

As an owner of two hybrid vehicles and part of a large community of such owners that communicate through a common forum, I urge you to consider the request by Mr. Robert J. Wilson, CEO of 625k Inc of Alabama, to speak at the upcoming hearings in Washington DC on Monday, June 23rd at such time as may be convenient to the Committee. He represents views that are common to many of the thousands of hybrid owners, as well as some owner-operators of other electric automotive products. This population, as the stakeholder that will pay much of the cost of any implemented system, should have a voice in this meeting.

Mr. Wilson is a leading member of the aforementioned community of hybrid owners; an advocate for environmentally friendly and fuel efficient automobiles; and a valuable resource for the public at large in respect of hybrid, diesel, fuel-cell and electric vehicles. As an engineer, he speaks with a working knowledge of these technologies, their impacts to our group, and to the society as a whole. His corporation has studied this problem in depth, and has ideas that provide a superior solution that may provide greater benefits to all stakeholders.

Thank you for your consideration.

Robert F. Brooks
Director, Special Projects
Sagem Avionics, SAFRAN Group

General Member
www.greenhybrid.com
Also CC'd to journal@c-span.org
RFB

Last edited by FastMover; 06-10-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Mr. Wilson goes to Washington

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands