04 Prius Smart Stop fob not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 04 Prius Smart Stop fob not working

My fob stopped working so I replaced the battery. Still didn't work, so I pushed the smart start button a few times to no avail.

After the battery is replaced, does the fob need to be reprogrammed? Or is there an engine component that's responsible? THe backup fob stopped working so I replaced the battery in both. The Toyota dealer wasn't helpful. He just said I'd need to buy a new fob for a few hundred. I cannot afford that!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 04 Prius Smart Stop fob not working

I just changed the bat. in my 06 FOB's without complications. By any chance did you turn the master switch under the steering column off? H

Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I played with that master switch and the fob never worked. That's why I'm wondering if it's the engine component.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Infael, When you push the lock button on your FOB's does the small red light just to the right of the lock button flash? If not make sure the new battery's are OK or maybe you installed the bat. upside down? That little red light should flash.H

Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM

I am new to the Prius, so if I did not solve your problem you may want to give PriusChat a try. Some very knowledgeable types lurk there. H

Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Is your 12V battery putting out 12.6 volts come morning. If not it may be time for a new 12v bat.. They normally go about every 4 years. H

Old 02-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Infael, When you push the lock button on your FOB's does the small red light just to the right of the lock button flash? If not make sure the new battery's are OK or maybe you installed the bat. upside down? That little red light should flash.H
That red light flashes, so the fob has to be working. The signal is either not being interpreted correctly, is corrupted or not being received.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infael
I played with that master switch and the fob never worked. That's why I'm wondering if it's the engine component.
One definitely doesn't need to get the keys reprogrammed after changing the CR2032 coin cell. I've changed it and had no issues. (I have an 06 package NL which includes everything except leather.)

Please clarify "I played with that master switch and the fob never worked." What "never worked"? I take it that putting the key(s) in the slot allows you to start the car w/your foot on the brake, right?

By "master switch", we're talking about the SKS disable/enable button under the steering column on the left side.

If you're still on your original 12 volt battery, it's long due for a replacement. You can test it via http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-f...t-battery.html. You don't have to turn the headlights on/off (bad for HIDs, if you have them), as directed. You can just switch 3x between off and the parking light position.

Priuschat is a FAR better place to lurk or ask questions about the Prius than here.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Smart start didn't work after I hit that SKS disable/enable button under the steering column on the left side. I'd hit the SKS once, try to start the car, hit the SKS again, then try again, a few times, etc.

The car works fine with the fob in the slot. I sometimes forget to pull the key when I leave my car, including at the gas station.

If the 12V battery is the small car battery that all cars have, that was replaced ~ 2 years ago.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM

I believe the button has to be set at the in [or lower] position. When the button is out[high position] then it is turned off. If everything is OK ,then you 12V is getting week?Hal

Quick Reply: 04 Prius Smart Stop fob not working

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands