04 Wheel Trim Rings/Chains

Old 02-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone needs to put on tire chains for the first time.

I discovered that the plastic trim rings on the 04 Prius (US?) wheels are easily scuffed by tire chains. These are the narrow trim that blend into the allow rims.

I had to chain up here in Oregon (to appease my wife - only) and, though I installed and tightened the chains properly, they really scuffed up one of the trim rings.

You can easily remove the trim rings before chaining up by hand or using a screwdriver. (They're not nearly as tough to remove as a wheel cover.)

I got so tired of looking at the damaged trim ring that I removed them permanently. Kinda like the look without the trim better anyway. Will have to see if the wheels catch and show more road dirt now.

Peter

Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 04 Wheel Trim Rings/Chains

have you had any problems using chains on the prius? what brand did you get?
Respectively,
Marc