2003 Prius Radio Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2003 Prius Radio Help Needed

Has anyone else had radio problems?
I've managed to break my radio on my 2003 Prius. The Toyota dealer gave me a quote of $4200 (yes, forty two hundred dollars!) to fix the radio. It was diagnosed as a "internal failure in radio assy" - and since the radio and cd player work together I'm driving around in silence. Oh the horror! I usually listen to news radio & books on cd/tape & I have a long commute in Wash DC to look forward to every day, please help with any ideas - I'm fresh out.

I push the on/off button - nothing happens/no display of radio station on the screen & no sound. I put a cd in - the display comes up claiming its playing, but no sound comes out.

Best buy doesnt carry the "wiring harness/dash kit" and sent me to Meyer Emco - who sent me to Tweeter. All said they couldnt find that there even was a dash kit at all - but all said it was necessary (I dont know what it is exactly) but Tweeter said they have wiring harness.

The Tweeter guy said that he thinks he could take the cd player out, replace it with a radio/cd player, and that I could use a hand held tape player hooked up like a mp3 player. My display and control ***** on the dash would still not work, but the ones on the new radio would.

So are my only options:
1. $4200.
2. Hacksaw to the dash, half usable alternative.
3. Boom box hoocked up & sitting in the passenger seat.
4. talking/singing to myself & looking out the window for the weather report.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Radio broken in 2003 Prius - Help!

I would go to Best Buy, etc and get a Pioneer supertuner III D installed. They can use the same antenna and connect the new unit to your existing speakers. You will get better reception and better sound. Of course you would no longer have any radio/CD display on the Prius screen.

I do not know how that would effect the warrantee however.

Paula

Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: 2003 Prius Radio Help Needed

Originally Posted by Lizzy Lou
Has anyone else had radio problems?
I've managed to break my radio on my 2003 Prius. The Toyota dealer gave me a quote of $4200 (yes, forty two hundred dollars!) to fix the radio. ...
Where? This doesn't make sense.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Enthusiast

Bob to answer your question I'm going to assume you mean where did I break it. Um, I dont know. Just wouldnt turn on one day last week. According to the "diognastic test" that the dealer did he said power was getting in, but it wasnt going any where after it did so. He claims its not the on/off button - but that doesnt stop me from pushing it about a dozen times while I'm driving because I keep forgetting its not going to make the radio come on.

If you are asking what dealer - its Toyota dealer in Chantilly VA (Near Wash DC) - although I would hope the cost of repairs would be pretty consistant on something like this.

The gaggle of neighbors that have come to look into my car at the dash (if that fixes the radio I'm all for it ;-) ) have joined me in the conclusion that the $4200 repair is becasue the radio is integrated into the dash - one big piece - and perhaps the whole thing needs to be replaced in one fell swoop if the radio goes bad. The dials & such that make up the radio are not in boxes that can be popped out & replaced I guess, but spread out.

I know the newer ones are totally different.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Paula gave you good advice. H

Old 07-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: 2003 Prius Radio Help Needed

Originally Posted by Lizzy Lou
. . .

If you are asking what dealer - its Toyota dealer in Chantilly VA (Near Wash DC) - although I would hope the cost of repairs would be pretty consistant on something like this.

. . .
This is what I wanted. FYI, I was in DC a week ago Monday for the NHTSA hearing on the "Bell the Hybrid Act" HR 5734. <grins>

I have a 2003 Prius and satellite radio justifies the radio and CD. I've not had a problem so this is new to me. I have been in the dash to install the GPS antenna and I don't remember anything remarkable about the radio and CD player.

Given the projected cost, you might consider getting some 'contact cleaner' and trying to spray clean the switch contacts. However, this is a wild donkey guess.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

One more thing I would try. The radio feeds an amplifer that is located, I think, under one of the front seats. Maybe the connecting wires have come off so the amp part has no power or no audio signal. Or maybe a fuse to the amp part has blown. Otherwise, if it were me, I would go with Tweeter. And based on my expereince, the Pioneer Supertuner III D gives the best radio reception on FM. Am is average. The CD player is very good at playing through scratches and fingerprints. But I do not think Pioneer makes a CD/cassette tape combo anymore. But the Supertuner IIID should have an AUX input plug for some external cassette player unit.

Good luck!!!

Paula