2004 Prius owners -- MFD 'heads up'

Old 11-21-2007, 02:17 AM
Engineering first
Cool 2004 Prius owners -- MFD 'heads up'

Hi folks,

Good Prius friend Hobbit has diagnosed a quality problem in the 2004 model Prius, multi-function display. The primary failure symptom is described here:
http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/mfd/

The "F" series multi-function display has a set of too small pads that can easily result in a failed or failing solder joint. This was fixed in the "G" series MFD:
http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/mfd/compare.html

If you are faced with a non-warranty, MFD replacement, I would recommend taking two hardcopies of Hobbit's web pages to negotiate a better deal. You'll probably need to pay some labor charges but the replacement part should be an exchange. As is true in any negotiation, be patient, stick to the facts and data, be polite and insistent. If necessary, ask to speak with the next level of support. Take notes, be polite and patient.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2004 Prius owners -- MFD 'heads up'

Replacement for 2004 owners is from TSB EL0002-05. The dealer can install a refurbished MFD for around $450-500.

Wayne

Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: 2004 Prius owners -- MFD 'heads up'

Hi,

The problem is this repair is no longer available to hybrids with more than 3yr/36,000 miles:
Originally Posted by TBS
Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in
effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
in-service date.
However, sometimes these warranty restrictions are not quite so hard. Sometimes, the persistent, informed owner can negotiate a better deal than a very expensive, out-of-warranty repair. So what happens if an owner is unable to negotiate a better price?

Good Prius friend "Hobbit" might be willing for shipping and a modest cost, to rework a failed MFD. If he is too busy, he might even license the repair to others who will stand behind their work. So there are options.

Now I'm not one to advocate giving 'land sharks' more work. However, it might be cost-effective to see if an attorney's letter, especially if it can reference state consumer laws, might be more effective. But given a choice between supporting an attorney or doing a deal with good Prius friend Hobbit, I would send it to "Middle Earth" in a heartbeat.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a 2004 Prius that has surpassed its 3yr/36G warranty, and I can tell you for a certainty that if such a problem occurs with my car and the dealership tells me that I have to pay for anything other than labor to put a new one in, I will hand them the keys, demand a check for the value of the car and walk over to the next dealership and purchase something else.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2004 Prius that's definitely having the MFD issue. We first noticed the problem at the beginning of a cross-country road trip as we moved from Minneapolis to Seattle. We didn't realise until we got here that it was a *big* expensive deal to have it fixed.

Unfortunately, our 75,000 mile warranty expired during our trip (we're now at 75,800). I wrote to Toyota's "extracare@toyota.com" warranty folks (per the advice from the representative I spoke with when I called them).

The dealer told me that they can do nothing - all warranty decisions are made centrally. Is that true? Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks very much!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by marisabrandt
I have a 2004 Prius that's definitely having the MFD issue. We first noticed the problem at the beginning of a cross-country road trip as we moved from Minneapolis to Seattle. We didn't realise until we got here that it was a *big* expensive deal to have it fixed.

Unfortunately, our 75,000 mile warranty expired during our trip (we're now at 75,800). I wrote to Toyota's "extracare@toyota.com" warranty folks (per the advice from the representative I spoke with when I called them).

The dealer told me that they can do nothing - all warranty decisions are made centrally. Is that true? Anyone have any advice for me?
You can start with a hardcopy of the TSB and Hobbit's page and see what you can negotiate with the dealer and the next level of Toyota support. See if you can get if for expenses.

I don't know if your state has any sort of lemon law or consumer support but you can also take the same package to a lawyer. But you might also start monitoring Ebay to see if one comes up on a parts auction.

Your last option is to have the unit pulled and find a technologist (or a ham radio operator) who using Hobbit's web site, will try to fix the failed solder joint. Hobbit would be the obvious one to ask since he can test the repair too. I would offer but I don't have a way to test the fix. You might also ask for help over in PriusChat to see if Prius technologist might be in your area willing to try and fix it.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 12-11-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

Hmmm,
Bob -any reason to think later models also have this QC problem?

I had a "out of warranty, but obviously a POS from the factory part" problem with my 1995 Accord.The radiator started leaking at 39,000 miles after just 30 months.When I called a mail order discounter,and ordered a new one($225+shipping) the parts guy said,"boy I sure sell a lot of these radiators.".When the radiator. arrived it was obvious that they had changed the design(can't remember exactly, but it was something about where the top "plastic" met the bottom metal(aluminum).This was all I needed to decide that Honda had goofed,and we were paying for their mistake.
I called-actually talked to- Honda consumer rep(or whatever) about 20-no kidding at least 20 times-before they came thru with just the price of the replacement radiator(no labor, no shipping).Initially they started with the usual BS-"You are the first customer to complain of this." I was polite,and persistent. It took a lot of time-many hours-,and lots of long distance charges(long before cells,and fixed minutes etc).
Insult to injury-the darned radiator was a pita to install-about 5 hours!!
If you are polite and persistent,they might come thru.
Luck,
Charlie
Nissan is dealing with a problem with their rear differential of their Titan now-once you are out of warranty,you are on your own-couple of grand$$$ on your own!!.I think Honda had problems with their 5 speed auto trans on MDX,PILOTS and maybe Accords also(V-6 only)..

Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Hmmm,
Bob -any reason to think later models also have this QC problem?
. . .
Hobbit's analysis was pretty through and suggests it was a manufacturing problem that was fixed in later displays.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Again, I find myself wondering why some of you seem to be so patient with Toyota or their dealers with this issue. Given Toyota's desire to maintain their reputation as a quality car maker, I don't understand why anyone would think that repairing this at your own cost, given the TSB, is acceptable??

For those who are currently having this issue, explain to the dealer that you will not be purchasing another car from them or Toyota due to this, then contact Toyota corporate, state the same to them. If you do not get the result you desire, take the car to a/the Toyota dealership, and demand the value of the car that day. After you have purchased a vehicle of your choice at another dealership, write a nice letter to Toyota, your state's Attny. General, the BBB, and perhaps Consumer Reports explaining the situation and your solution.

Toyota (or any other car seller) can't afford the negative press that this could raise.

I know my tactics are assholish... but you did pay over 20,000 of your money to buy this car...

Old 12-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by agamotto
Again, I find myself wondering why some of you seem to be so patient with Toyota or their dealers with this issue. . . .
The problem should be the subject of each conversation, not our emotions or threats. This allows us to effectively communicate and enlist help getting a solution. First let people 'do the right thing' and if not, later, you can escalate the problem.

Bob Wilson

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Prius owners -- MFD 'heads up'

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands