2010 Prius milage

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2010 Prius milage

Really like my new 2010 Prius but wondering if greater gas mileage is to be had. I now have a little over 3000 miles on it but still cant get much above 47 MPG average. I'm not complaining but wondering if there are any secrets as to how to get the 50 or more that I've heard others are getting.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Prius milage

I have a bit over 2000 miles in ODO and my current MPG is over 71 computer calculated (yes, 71MPG with above 300 miles so far in this current 4th tank of gas)... my previous one was 70.0MPG for over 600 miles and the one tank of gas prior to that (2nd one since I purchased it new) was 69.0MPG for 703 miles... apparently not all Prius owners know how to drive the most effective and economical way...

Last edited by agnosto; 07-01-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wooow, it is getting better and better, 4th tank of gas 739.9miles and 71.9MPG computer calculated for a total of over 2500 miles in ODO, what an amazing vehicle the 2010 Prius is!!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Enthusiast

With the A/C off I average 57-60 MPG and with A/C on 55-56 MPG. I get up to speed, say 55 MPH, and then let off the gas pedal then press slightly down to maintain speed. Usually the MPG dash indicator will jump to by 10 MPG. Thiis technique works best at speeds 55 MPH or lower. It's similar to the pulse and glide used by hypemileage guys.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

I have about 5000 miles on mine, and am averaging around 54 mpg with a mix of 60 & 140 mile trips, 4 mile shoppng & mail runs, some steep hills, some A/C and using the cruise control at 55 mph on the road. When my wife drives it to go shopping it always drops. I see around 70mpg on flat stretches but don't have too many of them in upstate NY... Drove up here from Florida with a max volume load of "stuff" 22" deep from the front seats to the back hatch and saw 65mpg until I hit hills in SC after 400 miles of driving. It was down to 55 mpg avg by the time I got to Utica, NY - 1400 miles in 5 days. No driving over 60 mph, most at 55. I'm happy with it. I added a ScanGuage2 and have it set for mpg, mph, gph & rpm. The mpg and rpm are the most valuable for me. For some reason I see 0.02 gph with the engine stopped! I know I'm winning when I'm doing 40 mph upgrade at 0 rpm. I've noted that the dash ECO bargraph guage centerline is where the engine kicks in while cruising in electric mode.
Any suggestions on residual gph reading would be appreciated.
tswill2

Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

It's about how you drive and the quality of the gas you buy. I don't have much time in my new Prius, but I'm over 50 mpg by a good margin. Not enough miles to have a solid trend yet though.

I know from my 07 civic hybrid that the cheap gas my wife put in it once in a while would cost us as much as 5 mpg. I have to believe the Prius would be affected in a similar way. And by cheap gas I'm not talking reg vs. premium, I'm talking no-name station versus branded.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Have only had mine 2 weeks and still on the first tank. 55mpg

Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One thing to keep in mind with the car's mileage display: it can be off. My understanding is past Prius' had in-dash display of mileage that was significanly inflated, but the lastest are more accurate. Do a manual calculation to verify. Even if the in-dash display of mileage is off, as long as you know the fudge factor it's useful, and even without the fudge factor it gives quick tank-to-tank comparison.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Prius milage, and experience with plug-ins

We just got a new 2010 Prius after giving our 2005 version to our daughter to use in college. On the first tank of gas we are getting under 50 mpg using the same techniques that would have garnered 55 in the older car. There are many potentially confounding factors, most notably that we're now living in Portland Oregon rather than Phoenix, and the new car has larger wheels. But I would welcome any comments from drivers of older model Priuses that switched to new ones and had to modify their hypermiling habits.

Of possible interest to other GH readers is that in my new job at Portland State University, I've been able to drive an all-electric RAV4 for two months, followed by a 2012 plug-in Prius for the past few weeks. The RAV4 has the standard all-electric disadvantage of range anxiety, coupled with a proprietary charging system that requires use of a specific charging station, of which there are only two in Portland (for 4 vehicles). The plug-in Prius is ideal for my current 14 mile commute, especially because it uses a standard 110 outlet. There are several of these outlets in my parking structure at work, so for the past 10 days I've been getting unlimited mpg during my commute (although these miles are not emission free, since the electricity mostly comes from a coal-fired plant).

Old 02-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Veteran Mechanic

People need to realize there is always a break-in period for a new engine. No matter how hard car manufacturers try to insist they have beaten the break-in. I expect most people to see improving numbers over the first 5k miles or so like with any car. It's just less pronounced than with older cars and their overtightened tolerances to make up for manufacturing variations.

Nowadays engines are manufactured with way closer tolerances and less variance in part sizes, so the break in period is shorter and easier than ever.

Quick Reply: 2010 Prius milage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands