2010 winter tires Sport model 17"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2010 winter tires Sport model 17"

I have a Canadian Prius with the Touring option, so it has 215/45R17 87V Michelins, Pilot HX MXV4. I have been trying to figure out which winter tires to get. There aren't many in that exact size. Consumer Reports says the Nokian WR G2 is a good winter tire, even though it's an all season. Other people point me towards lower-speed-rated tires, even the Continental ExtremeWinterContact, which is T-rated, and others the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3, which is H. The local CostCo guy says only the Bridgestone Blizzak or the Michelin X-Ice come with the V rating. CU rates the Blizzak fairly low for a performance winter tire. It gives the X-Ice the top rating for a regular winter tire.
While I'm at it, the CostCo guy said they have no replacement steel wheels, so I'll have to get the steel wheels at the Dealer. Anybody else find wheels for the car?
I live in Ontario, Canada, BTW.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 winter tires Sport model 17"

Originally Posted by evansdavid
While I'm at it, the CostCo guy said they have no replacement steel wheels, so I'll have to get the steel wheels at the Dealer. Anybody else find wheels for the car?
I went through the same deal here at some of the tire shops here in Sask.

The deal I went with (just a couple of days ago) was tire rack dot com. I saved about $300 on winter tires and alloy rims even after all the shipping/exchange charges.

I check on your tire size there are lots of nice alloy rims for $108. (you don't want to use steel wheels on your new car) and 10 different types of winter tires your size. Alloy rims will make you car look good in the winter without spending the huge amount of money on the factory rims.

Myself I picked the Michelin X-ice Xi2. Which for your size is $592 for 4. If you want to spend extra money, you can buy the TPMS tire units and reset tool if you want to go that route.

Last edited by starman; 09-19-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

I did want to add that if you get your winter tires changed at a shop they might insist on the TPMS on your tires. What the shops told me here is that "if the car comes in with TPMS, it must leave with TPMS. The only way around it is if you mount the tires yourself".

So it might be wise to add the TPMS units to your tires/rims (if you go the tire rack dot com route) if you have costco change over your tires. Otherwise change the tires yourself and ignore the TPMS light. A small piece of tape helps with this.

Last edited by starman; 09-19-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Tirerack suggested the smaller 15 inch tires for winter. Said it would cut through the snow better than the low profile 17's and save me some money. So that's what I did. Got a package deal with 4 studded snows with aluminum wheels. Didn't want the TPMS sensors. Figure I check my tires enough anyway. Salesman I spoke with at tirerack knew his stuff and was very helpfull. His name was HUNTER (EXT 744) at 888-981-3953 if you have any questions.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: 2010 winter tires Sport model 17"

Thanks. The local dealer is offering a very good price for X-Ices in 15s, including steel rims, so I'll probably go with that.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickkop
Tirerack suggested the smaller 15 inch tires for winter. Said it would cut through the snow better than the low profile 17's and save me some money. So that's what I did.... snip....
I went with the 15" tires/rims as well down from the 16" stock '09 Prius touring rims. Tirerack picked the correct size so the speedometer will not be off. They also don't have the TPMS installed. I can use the black tape to cover the light in the winter.

When I shopped locally all the tire shops insisted that the TPMS be installed. One shop quoted $200. per sensor. Yikes!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks. The local dealer is offering a very good price for X-Ices in 15s, including steel rims, so I'll probably go with that.
Are the TPMS installed on those tires and rims? I saw them at my local dealer after I ordered my tires rims from tirerack.

I went with a very nice looking alloy rim at tirerack. The rims were only $99.00 each. "Elbrus I04 Black Machined w/Ice Coating". They included special lug nuts and centering rings.