Adding GPS: Possible to use Display?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Adding GPS: Possible to use Display?

1. Is it possible?
I think not; I had to ask.

2. Then how about this:
Garmin has a Nuvi 850 that has speech recognition (you talk to it). Is it feasible to use the existing microphone setup on my Prius for this?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Adding GPS: Possible to use Display?

Originally Posted by Proud Prius Owner
1. Is it possible?
I think not; I had to ask.

2. Then how about this:
Garmin has a Nuvi 850 that has speech recognition (you talk to it). Is it feasible to use the existing microphone setup on my Prius for this?
The navigation video interface has been 'reverse engineered' but it depends upon which model Prius. As for other audio connections, good luck!

Bob Wilson

Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Bob.
I have an '08 Prius, not the Touring model.
How do I do the reverse engineering ?
Frank

Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Adding GPS: Possible to use Display?

Hi Frank,
Originally Posted by Proud Prius Owner
I have an '08 Prius, not the Touring model.
How do I do the reverse engineering ?
I'd recommend starting with the maintenance manuals so you can find the signals. Then you can use oscilloscope and signal generators to measure and generate test patterns. This is not a trivial but very rewarding exercise ... the "Ah HA" moment.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-26-2008, 04:41 AM
The Devil's in the detail

By the way Bob. Does the base Prius - no Nav, have the ability to accept a reversing camera. If so, is there a "cracking" code for the display. If you get what I mean.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:57 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Aussie
By the way Bob. Does the base Prius - no Nav, have the ability to accept a reversing camera. If so, is there a "cracking" code for the display. If you get what I mean.
Funny you should mention this. I bought a Diesel Audio reversing camera kit for my wife's RV and it comes with a mirror with a built-in LCD display. As for the car mounted, reversing camera, you've raise a very good question. I don't know how those systems connect in the current NHW20 models.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I haven't looked personally, but from others posting it's unlikely you can connect to a non-GPS or rear view camera model. There are a few versions of the MFD, the "lower" optioned ones having no video jack.

There are two video signals accepted by the higher end MFDs. One is standard low res. video for the backup camera, the other is a rather unusual high res. digital video system for the GPS.

Now, I can understand your wanting to connect to the MFD, but be aware, those with the Toyota system sometimes want to display both the GPS and Consumption screen info at the same time, and of course you can't. So having a separate screen (on a Garmin Nuvi 850 for example) is actually a "good thing" (tm).

As far as the GPS is concerned, it's not really necessary to connect to the cars microphone. The Garmin mic is built in to the unit and will pick up your voice just fine. Trying to connect to a non-Garmin mic would require you to know the mic type, sensitivity, etc.

I currently use a Garmin Nuvi 650, which I mounted on the dash left side using the optional "Garmin dash mount" and fastened with velcro tape so it's easy to remove with no marks left. The cable is hidden except for the last three inches from the side of the dash to the mount. It works very well, and "Jill" is very good at directing me to my destination by voice, not through the car's systems, but still loud enough to be clearly legible.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

When I was playing with my cell phone blue-tooth while I was sitting in the traffic, I got a signal 'NAV' besides my headset. Not sure this means the Prius-07 models has one in build, but not hooked up in base models? Or Iam picking the signal from some other source in the traffic? Appreciate if someone could explain this...

Advance thanks.